LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 06:38 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 brake issue.

Hello All,
I have a 1990 LS400 and it recently had the following brake work done.
Front rotors resurfaced, new oem brake pads, and the two front brake hoses replaced (due to small leak in the hose).
The work was done at an indy, and while replacing the hoses, apparently enough fluid had leaked causing the master cylinder reservoir to be nearly emply which could have induced air in the system.
The LS has traction control.
The car has had very very mushy / spongy pedal ever since.
The brakes to work and stops the car, but there's never a point in the brake pedal where it would actually stop and not travel any further towards the firewall.
with sligh pressure the pedal goes all the way to the floor with engine running.
With engine off, the pedal does not sink at all. But with pressure on the brake pedal while engine is off, once the engine is turned on, as soon as the hydraulic booster kicks in, the pedal goes all the way to the floor with the pressure that was already on it...

The bleeding done by the indy's has been just opening the 4 valves at the 4 ends and bleeding conventional way.
I have read the service manual and there's description of the bleeding of traction system however I am not sure how to have the TRAC pump operated as it is described in the service manual to be able to bleed the air out.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thnx.
Old 02-02-06, 05:00 PM
austxlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs400
Hello All,
I have a 1990 LS400 and it recently had the following brake work done.
Front rotors resurfaced, new oem brake pads, and the two front brake hoses replaced (due to small leak in the hose).
The work was done at an indy, and while replacing the hoses, apparently enough fluid had leaked causing the master cylinder reservoir to be nearly emply which could have induced air in the system.
The LS has traction control.
The car has had very very mushy / spongy pedal ever since.
The brakes to work and stops the car, but there's never a point in the brake pedal where it would actually stop and not travel any further towards the firewall.
with sligh pressure the pedal goes all the way to the floor with engine running.
With engine off, the pedal does not sink at all. But with pressure on the brake pedal while engine is off, once the engine is turned on, as soon as the hydraulic booster kicks in, the pedal goes all the way to the floor with the pressure that was already on it...

The bleeding done by the indy's has been just opening the 4 valves at the 4 ends and bleeding conventional way.
I have read the service manual and there's description of the bleeding of traction system however I am not sure how to have the TRAC pump operated as it is described in the service manual to be able to bleed the air out.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thnx.
I just got the exact same problem on my 94LS, except I don't have traction control.
Old 02-02-06, 09:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please please please serach or at least look around before posting problems you have!!

i mean, theres a thread just 2 topics down on this that already has the answers to this.