LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Blown

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 10:00 PM
lilmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Blown

Okay before anyone says I am crazy, my shrink already said that. I just got home from a business meeting and on the way home a few of us were racing. Since I knew we would be racing I took my '93 LS and as we reaching speeds between 125-135 my head gasket blew . Everyone thought the car was on fire !!!! I am going to get this car back on the road a.s.a.p. it is faster than the '96 & '98 LS's. I said all that to say this the car has 250,000 miles on it are there any suggestions as to anything else to do to the car while I have the heads off. Nothing extravagant like F.I. but anything else goes.

Shane
Old 03-31-05, 11:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about your head gasket, but I don’t get how its faster? What have you done to it? According to your sig, its stock, so either you broke the laws of phsyics or you were very drunk jk.

I think your so excited you didn’t re-read your post after your wrote it, a very familiar feeling
Old 03-31-05, 11:18 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless you have done some serious mods to it, it won't be faster then '98 model. That is unless they hit their speed limiter which you do not have in your car.
Old 04-02-05, 02:16 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah what they said!!!!! I just got dusted by a gen3 LS that was loaded with people. With the gen3 your looking at an increase of at least 20 HP and I think even a 5th gear. But back to the original QUESTION how about a port & polish! my knowledge on this subject is very limited, but you can find tons of info on it at lextreme.com or maybe here on this site in the (gen1)SC forum. Ihave also seen 5.0 liter engine upgrade kits in hyper-rev magazine again a subject that I have limited knowledge on, but you may want to look into it.
Old 04-02-05, 07:32 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by sonbum1
Yeah what they said!!!!! I just got dusted by a gen3 LS that was loaded with people. With the gen3 your looking at an increase of at least 20 HP and I think even a 5th gear. But back to the original QUESTION how about a port & polish! my knowledge on this subject is very limited, but you can find tons of info on it at lextreme.com or maybe here on this site in the (gen1)SC forum. Ihave also seen 5.0 liter engine upgrade kits in hyper-rev magazine again a subject that I have limited knowledge on, but you may want to look into it.
40HP to be exact. I have driven all the generation LS's, and found the 98-00 to be the fastest, but I haven’t driven the 04+ with the 6-speed yet, so I cannot comment beyond 2003. It even out accelerates the 2003 Q45 with its 340Hp Engine. The 98-00 years have always amazed me, of course until the '04 came out.
Old 04-02-05, 03:31 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was more like 40 HP, I just didn't want to say 40 and be wrong.I have always been partial to the gen1 & 2 style wise, but after last night, I've taken a new liking to the gen3
Old 04-02-05, 10:38 PM
lilmac
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Well it's not stock any longer. I just forgot to change my sig, sorry, but I do have to agree I didn't see why it would blow the head gasket. Until today, the inside of this engine is covered in gunk. It is clear that the previous owner didn't take care of this car at all in moe ways than one, such as paint, seats, carpets, wheels(peeling), and widows cracked. I honestly do not see how this car ran as good as it did all I can say is after I get it back together it will be worth the trouble.
If the 98 is supposed to be faster maybe I should have it checked out, because after four passes the 93 won 4 out of 4. All I have done to the 93 is exhaust, ignition, air filter, and new fuel pump\w filters. I appreciate all the help and input!!
Old 04-05-05, 03:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by lilmac
Well it's not stock any longer. I just forgot to change my sig, sorry, but I do have to agree I didn't see why it would blow the head gasket. Until today, the inside of this engine is covered in gunk. It is clear that the previous owner didn't take care of this car at all in moe ways than one, such as paint, seats, carpets, wheels(peeling), and widows cracked. I honestly do not see how this car ran as good as it did all I can say is after I get it back together it will be worth the trouble.
If the 98 is supposed to be faster maybe I should have it checked out, because after four passes the 93 won 4 out of 4. All I have done to the 93 is exhaust, ignition, air filter, and new fuel pump\w filters. I appreciate all the help and input!!
I think you should, the 98 should have NO problem taking on the previous generations.
Old 04-05-05, 01:41 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its physically impossible for the 3rd gen LS to lose against a stock 1st gen LS.. but I'll take your word for it.. maybe the car's ECU kicked in.. or maybe the driver was just horrible and didnt know how to race an automatic.. LOL..

but who cares.. yo u still dusted the 3rd gen LS with fashion... good luck on getting the car back on the road.
Old 04-05-05, 07:04 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still doubt that this would happen with the mods you have listed. With all the fuel mods I would assume that injectors would have to be changed also. I know exactly how 1st gen LS runs with intake and exhaust and it is still a lot slower then stock 3rd gen. Maybe something was wrong with the car you have raced.
Old 04-05-05, 07:20 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

if you blew both of them i would say a head rebuild since you have it fof. if you feel like taking both of them off, do a Port and Polish (good for 40 HP for $400) and rebuild them with new valves, seats, springs biuckets and shims, and seals of course. then install a thinner, metal head gasket to raise compression.
Old 04-05-05, 08:48 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

lol thats kind of funny. I had a great running 91 LS with a new engine (50-60K, retros old engine), with a TORQUE CONVERTER, intake, and exhaust. I can tell you right now that I know for a FACT that a stock 98 LS runs CIRCLES around my 91 LS which I am sure was a lot faster than lilmac's. I know this for a fact because I own a 99 LS and it was fast stock, now with a torque converter is beats my moms 745li easily 0-60.
Old 04-05-05, 10:55 PM
lilmac
Driver School Candidate

Okay I'll definitely get the *'99* checked out because I bought all these cars used I only have the word of the seller as to what service was done on the cars. I agree I thought the '99 would be faster, but I assumed the '92 had something done to it like a converter (the throttle is extremely touchy just one tap and it picks up and screams) plus if you floor it the car goes just past redline in every gear. But after reading what Jasoneo5 said a T/C can't be the reason. Also it is just the pass. side head gasket, and so far it looks like we will be pulling the other head to get this engine hitting a little harder.

My business partner is seeling his 745Li in June can someone put me onto some good sites for this car. One part of me says buy it, BuY iT, BUY IT, and the other part says how can you justify it? I guess we'll see what happens in about 6-7 weeks!

A side note but it proves you can get crazy stuff without knowing: My fast '02 dually burned the converter(was expecting this-NOS) a few weeks ago and I went to a local shop and bought an entire tranny with converter. After getting it home I really checked what I had, and verifying everything, it was a Suncoast Tripple-Lock converter!!!!!

And I want to say Thanks for all the response

Last edited by lilmac; 04-05-05 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I typed 98 instead of 99 on all my post