LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Modifying a 99' LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 10:14 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Modifying a 99' LS400

Hey all,

I just bought a 99' LS400 with about 70k miles on it. I'm pretty happy with it. I've always wanted Navigation . I will post some pictures of it when I can. But I have loads of questions, and it would be great if you guys could help me out on some of them.

1) Is this engine and transmission the same engine that is in the 98-00 GS400's? Are the performance modifications for those GS400's applicable to my 99' LS400? To be specific, I am looking to get the performance torque converter, and possibly a ECU (if i can). I hear that it would be smart to get a transmission cooler.
I have seen some people do some nice things with a 98-00 GS400 motor, and as far as I am concerned, I have the same thing. How much can this engine take as far as superchargers? For example DavesGS4 has a insane setup.

2) Is there any new Navigation software that I can get? I like the looks of the one in my dads 05' LX470, but mine looks a bit aged (as it is).

3) I really like the looks of the rear tail lights in my 91' LS400 but can't seem to find similar ones for a 99'. Anybody know where I can get them easily?

4) I guess a list of modifications that I can do to make my car unique like my last LS would be great. For example, the front lights on my old LS were JDM and I really liked the looks of them a lot better......what are some noticable differences from a Celsior (JDM), and my (US spec) LS400?

I have already bought the H&R lowering springs and that will be done in about a week along with some tint. I also plan on swapping the rims onto the new LS temorarily as well. Anywho, thanks for the help,

-Jason
Old 12-25-04, 11:45 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your old car looked nice, congrats and good luck on the new project I noticed you live in Fremont.. I'm from San Jose.. once you start modding your new car I'd love to come see it sometime..

- Suneet
Old 12-26-04, 10:53 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliment Suneet . You are welcome to come see it whenever.

I know somebody out there can help me with some of my questions! Especially the performance ones! HELP! haha thanks.
Old 12-30-04, 06:14 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1) No, the performance mods for GS400s are not applicable to your '99 LS. However, there are some exhaust/intake options that you could do to improve performance...just do a search on jbrady, there's some good info and tips in his threads.

2) I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

3) Crossroad and Junction Produce offer clear/red tails for the 3rd gen LS:

http://www.original-net.co.jp/
http://www.original-net.co.jp/images/catcrose005.jpg

http://www.junction-produce.co.jp/en...uki/index.html

4) You could start by checking out www.l-tunedparts.com.

Noticeable differences on the Toyota Celsior would be side markers on the fenders, A/C and radio controls on the backseat armrest, and parking-assist indicators on the front bumper (I think).
Old 12-30-04, 06:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Congrats on the new ride Jason.

1) The engine is the same 1uzfe, but there are differences in both intake and exhaust I believe, not sure about the ECU. The engine bay is arranged differently, so I couldn't just take the supercharger from my 98 GS and bolt it onto my 98 LS. Same thing applies if you want to do an intake... different routing. I've never looked into an intake for the LS (want to keep mine stock) but if they make one, just get something like the K&N and get an SAFC-2 to tune your air fuel... will give you the most you can get out of it NA. Biggest bang for the buck performance wise will be to get a high stall torque converter (2800 stall PI is what I'd recommend) if they make them for the LS. At 70K I personally would also change the plugs out, don't believe in the 100K rating for maximum performance.

2) Is there any new Navigation software that I can get? Not without changing the head unit and nav setup. The 98 - 00 is hard drive based and the 01+ is DVD based. Different screen, different software, etc. The last update out is I think October 2003 so that'll be the latest and greatest.

4) If I were modifiying my LS, I'd look into the glowing door plates (think they make them for the 98+)? Keep it simple to begin with and learn the car before you modify it so you can troubleshoot it better later. Start with making sure the car is tip top with a full strip, claybar and wax detail so you learn the car.... if you haven't also done so when buying - learn the maintance records so you know what to expect.
Old 12-30-04, 09:10 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new LS...glad you kept it in the LS family
Old 12-31-04, 12:55 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) Is there any new Navigation software that I can get? Not without changing the head unit and nav setup. The 98 - 00 is hard drive based and the 01+ is DVD based. Different screen, different software, etc. The last update out is I think October 2003 so that'll be the latest and greatest.

I own a '99 w/Nav. I upgraded to the latest HD-based version, and it is September 2003. Just a tiny winnee correction on the date
Old 12-31-04, 07:23 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

aren't the GS DVD and HD screens the same? Are they interchangable with the LS?
Old 12-31-04, 08:44 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks DaveGS4 ,What about the Tranny Cooler? If I am going to put in a 2.8k torque converter (which I plan on doing), then I want to make sure that I am taking car of the transmission. Do we have the same transmissions? Do you have a picture of yours so I can compare it? Thanks,
-Jason
Old 12-31-04, 10:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by nthach
aren't the GS DVD and HD screens the same? Are they interchangable with the LS?
No, the DVD-based 01+ and HD 98-00 screens are different. The 01+ are larger and are shaped differently (more 16x9-ish where the 98-00 are 4x3-ish). The LS as a vehicle underwent a much bigger change from the LS400 to LS430 in 2001 but also got the same bigger screen from what I recall.

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Thanks DaveGS4 ,What about the Tranny Cooler? If I am going to put in a 2.8k torque converter (which I plan on doing), then I want to make sure that I am taking car of the transmission. Do we have the same transmissions? Do you have a picture of yours so I can compare it? Thanks,
-Jason
I'd recommend you do a tranny cooler at the same time, but it is not a necessity... think of it as cheap insurance. I drove without one for a year or two before I added the cooler. I did it because I was taking the GS to the track and knew I'd be doing some hard repetivie launches with brake torque which heats up the tranny quickly.

I don't think the transmissions are identical - the GS has a different wheelbase and more 'sport' programming in the shifts than the LS (simply based on my comparison of my cars) plus my GS has eShift on the wheel. The concept of you taking care of your tranny shouldn't matter though... its the same general principle to keep it cool. You don't buy a tranny cooler specific to the model of car / transmission usually (at least for Lexus) - it's generic. Just have to get the right size.

There are lots of threads on tranny coolers in the GS forum, just search for them.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...mission+cooler

Here is a picture of mine (before I added the supercharger and intercooler, not as easy to see now) - the thing right in the middle of the radiator. Mine is a Permacool but there are plenty of good brands like Hayden and others.

Old 01-01-05, 10:32 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know if most shops will be able to find one and install it? Sometimes I've gone in and gotten a blank look
Old 01-01-05, 11:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yeah, most competent mechanics should know what one is and how to do it. My local Lexus dealer did mine.