LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing new steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 10:07 AM
caliness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new steering wheel

I've bought a 2000 LS400 steering wheel and I want to install it on my 96 LS. Is it possible to do it myself or would I have to go to the stealership for it?
Also, the wheel has 3 buttons on the right side, I wonder if they will still be functional?
Thanks
Old 08-26-04, 01:34 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

caliness

Hello Its very easy to instal the Steering Wheel. I will attach the Lexys SHop Manual instructions. I have done it myself in under 10 minutes with no problem.

The question is will it work. Yes the wheel will fit but the old airbag will not. The trick will be if you can get a airbag off of ebay for a 98-00. Read the next thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=94378

I will attach the PDF instructions. 1 of 4 pages
Attached Files
Old 08-26-04, 01:35 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

2 of 4
Attached Files
Old 08-26-04, 01:37 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

3 of 4
Attached Files
Old 08-26-04, 01:38 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

4 of 4
Attached Files
Old 08-26-04, 01:41 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey here is what the final upgrade looks like. Sorry for the diffrent lighting conditions in the pics. One was taken in the driveway and the other in the garage...
Attached Thumbnails Installing new steering wheel-wood-upgrade50.jpg  
Old 08-26-04, 02:23 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Originally posted by Horta
caliness

Hello Its very easy to instal the Steering Wheel. I will attach the Lexys SHop Manual instructions. I have done it myself in under 10 minutes with no problem.

The question is will it work. Yes the wheel will fit but the old airbag will not. The trick will be if you can get a airbag off of ebay for a 98-00. Read the next thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=94378

I will attach the PDF instructions. 1 of 4 pages
Thank you very much for your response. I highly appreciate your help. I printed out the instructions and I'll look at it a little later. I don't have any experience in installing such parts in cars, so I'm a little hesitent. Other people have even warned me that the airbag could burst while installing, which makes me a little worried. But, I can only tell after reading the instructions.

And as for the airbag, I was lucky enough that it was included with the steering wheel. So, I won't have to worry about that.
Old 08-26-04, 02:36 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey its very very easy.

Basicly this is it

First make sure the wheel is dead straight.

Unplug the Negative Battery terminal

Wait at least ten minute for total battery drain

On the left and right side of the Steering wheel thear are plastic covers. Pop those off and it will expose Hex screws. These are the screws that look like stars. i bought a Hex Scree drive set from Loews for under $10.

Undo the screw and the Air bag falls into your lap. There is NO CHANCE of the airbag blowing because it has NO battery power (this is why you wait the 10 minutes). Disconnet the little airbag connectors.

Then use a regular nut wrench or monkey wrench to undo the One nut that holds the wheel in place. Yes just one nut, way too easy. This nut is tough and when it goes loos be carefull I almost hit myself in the face with the wrench.

Now slide it off and slide in the new wheel, its as easy as that.

Midn you I am totaly going off of memory and from almost two years ago. I have not read the instructions sence then but this is what i remember. pLease do read all the instruction but I think you will find I am correct or very close. My whole point of typing all this is that I have ZERO automechanic experiance and always take my car to the dealer but a Blind Monkey could install the wheel and save the dealer fees.

Good Luck and please give us a update when you done.
Old 08-26-04, 02:41 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thank you for simplifying it. I sure do appreciate your help.

I will post before and after pics for all to see. I have a few other mods I'll be working on this weekend, too.
Old 08-26-04, 04:42 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

hmm, no electrical harness to plug/unplug for the air bag? just curious.

thanks
bj
Old 08-26-04, 05:02 PM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Just one little pigtail.

You were lucky to get the airbag with it.

I bought a supposedly pristine one on ebay, it arrived with a hairline crack in the wood located at about 11:00 o'clock.

The guy that sold it would not make the claim so, when I discovered I needed a 98 or newer airbag, I just put it in the closet.

He lives up near Boston, and just changed his email address.
Oh well, just Another unfinished project...
Old 08-26-04, 07:05 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Originally posted by Blue
Just one little pigtail.

You were lucky to get the airbag with it.

I bought a supposedly pristine one on ebay, it arrived with a hairline crack in the wood located at about 11:00 o'clock.

The guy that sold it would not make the claim so, when I discovered I needed a 98 or newer airbag, I just put it in the closet.

He lives up near Boston, and just changed his email address.
Oh well, just Another unfinished project...
Yeah, I think I was lucky. The guy was selling his 96 LS and he had previously installed this wood wheel from a 2000 LS. He was selling his 96 to get a 2004 (lucky guy!)

I got the wheel and it is in near-perfect condition. The leather on my wheel was previously painted by the dealer I bought it from to cover up the damaged leather, and the leather on this new wheel is flawless. There is a very minor scratch on the wheel but it doesn't show. I paid $275 shipped, is that good? The airbag came with it, too.

I suggest you try eBay every few days to check for the air bag. I remember seeing one about 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-28-04, 03:33 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

I also got 2 steering wheels on ebay. One out of an SC 430 and one out of an IS 200. I paid 12€ including shipping. I sold the IS 200 steering wheel on ebay for 22€ plus shipping. They are both without cover and without airbag. I still don't know if it will fit in my dads 92 LS. Which airbag will I need? I heard something about one step and two step airbags and that the RX 300 one might fit!

Chris
Old 08-29-04, 11:48 AM
nk1983
Lead Lap

does anyone know if it is still 4 star nuts for the 98-00 steering wheel? also is the air bag shape pretty much the same for the two? I know its different but is the shape the same? I wanna do this but i have a tv wired in my steering wheel and i wanna know if i can transfer the center mold. TIA
Old 08-29-04, 02:12 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

D0 the Lexus Shop instructions I attached at the begining of this thread tell you the type of nut?

Quick Reply: Installing new steering wheel