LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My Engine Mounts Broke On The Freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 07:53 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation My Engine Mounts Broke On The Freeway!

Hey Guys,

Not as bad as it sounds but it could be pretty bad. Here is what happened:

While on the freeway I started hearing a tinking sound so I pulled over and lifted the hood to see that the big engine fan couldn't spin because the radiator hose was blocking it. It appeared that the engine lifted up. At that time there was no leaks and no rattles in the car so I tried to get to a off-ramp and drive it to the lexus dealer slowly. About 5 mins later the Engine and Tranny started rocking the car like CRAZY!
I looked out the rear-veiw and saw all kinds of smoke so I pulled over immediatly. When I looked under the car I saw oil leaking, probably 1/2 Pint in total.
I opened the hood and a little bit of steam was coming out and the engine was lifted to the point where it was touching the strut bar that most of us have installed (thank goodness for that!)

So anyways, after I got to the Lexus Dealer they said that the engine mounts were oil filled and that (hopefully) the smoke I saw was from the oil (off the mounts that most likely broke) touching the hot exhaust/cats. and therefor causing a lot of smoke.

Origionally I thought there might have been a oil leak but after learning the Engine mounts were oil-filled I am hoping that it was just those and not a bigger problem. I luckily did have a camera in the car and was able to snap about 10 pictures and will post some of the good ones when I get the camera back out of the car.

I'll be going to the lexus dealer after school today to see what is up. Any Ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all of you! Best Regards,

-Jason Elcan
Old 12-09-03, 10:45 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like your car is wishing you a merry christmas as well... prepare to open the wallet at the dealer...
Old 12-09-03, 11:40 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason,

The engine mounts are big chunks of rubber. There's no oil in them. Maybe you meant oil was leaking on them? I guess we'll have a better idea once we see the pics...
Old 12-09-03, 01:08 PM
tvd51
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,
What year is your LS 400? Mine is 91 and I want to know if the engine mount is oil-filled or just rubber because I think my car may have the engine mount problem (clunking noise at startup). Please confirm.
Thanks,
tvd51
Old 12-09-03, 02:22 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Hey,

I too, was under the impression that the mounts were rubber. But multiple mechanics at the lexus dealer were sure that they were oil filled on my model (1991). So I don't know but I will find out for later on today.

-Jason
Old 12-09-03, 02:24 PM
Rice
Pole Position

A very strange story.
Engine mounts usually don't just break! It happens over a long period of time and it is never as dramatic as you described. In addition, there is practically no load on them while driving on the highway. And another thing; Engine and transmission are bolted together into one unit. In order for engine to lift up, your transmission mount must be disconnected. It seems that the bolt that holds transmission to the cross member came off and rear part of tranny came down. That is the only way for engine to be lifted up.
Any way, if the car is at the dealer, than the only thing that's left to do is wait. I'd be interested to know what really happen.
Good luck.
Old 12-09-03, 02:32 PM
tvd51
Driver

Last week I went underneath the car and tighten up all the big bolts including engine mount, cross member, etc. The car feels more solid now. I wonder how much it costs to replace the engine mounts ?
tvd51
Old 12-09-03, 03:29 PM
chuckchung
Driver

It's just starting to rain in my part of the bay area now, hope the rain didn't get u too bad while one the freeway and everything. I too also though engine mounts were rubber, i'm interested to see if they are oil filled
I wonder how much it costs to replace the engine mounts ?
i had my rubber engine mounts break in my volvo awhile back and drove the car with out knowing they were cracked for a few months. The parts for the engine mounts are usually quite cheap, but labor is what gets ya, i think for my volvo the parts were like $20 and labor was like $300

Best of luck with ure car Jason

-Chuck
Old 12-09-03, 05:11 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Just went to the Lexus Dealer and I am going to need a new engine being that there is a hole with a circumference of 5 inches where one of the pistons broke and came out the side (or something to that effect)

Here is my considerations:

1. New 1st Generation engine (considering buying Retro's old one because I know for sure that it was in working condition when taken out and that it will work when I put it into mine)

2. Buying a Used 2nd Generation engine. I have questions on this: 1: Will it just be a nice and clean swap or will I need a new tranny and engine computer, etc...? Will all the mounts fit properly or will the fittment need adjustment for it to fit properly?

Rebuilding this motor is out of the question for me as Lexus Said that they would charge about 5 Grand and anything even near that is WAY out of the question.

Lexus Also said that if I were to so a clean engine swap they would charge me roughly 3K just to swap them. So any reccomendations from ANYBODY would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this car up and running soon again! Thanks so much! Best Regards,

-Jason Elcan
Old 12-09-03, 05:42 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as engine mounts go, mine broke in my lex, just makes the car rock a lot when the car is shifting... then i had it fixed. as for me, my audi engine mounts are way worn, the new ones are 45 for left and 49 for the right. then abtou 3 hours labor to change them.... you also have a transmission mount that may need changed as well.... but what you are saying sounds like more than just mounts....
Old 12-09-03, 05:49 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

since you spent a grip on your car, you might as well buy retros engine.. i know the lexus junk yard in san diego will replace the enginee and install for 1000-1500...

or you could jsut sell the car...

dont do engine swaps and what not.. unless you want to open the wallet even more
Old 12-09-03, 05:50 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

how much are the engine mouints on the lex?
Old 12-09-03, 05:52 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus was going to charge me $328.00 for engine mounts, I am not sure weather that was just for the parts or for the parts and installation together.

-Jason
Old 12-09-03, 06:04 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason, pm Retro get a price on his engine and maybe he can hook you up with somebody to install it.
Old 12-09-03, 06:40 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy the mounts online and have someone put them on... my mounts from the dealer were like 128 and 95, online i can get oem moutns for 45 and 49

Quick Reply: My Engine Mounts Broke On The Freeway!