LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 transmission PRNDL cover delamination and noise coming from under the cov

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 04:34 PM
Richard69
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1995 LS400 transmission PRNDL cover delamination and noise coming from under the cov

I've seen a lot of these delaminating so I assume it's a common problem. I can't find a new one online and all the salvage shops have varying degrees of the same problem (most are worse). Does anyone know if the top clear plastic can be separated and fixed?

Also, I keep hearing a clicking noise coming from under the shifter. I can also feel it through the shifter. It happens when coasting to a stop or right after I start moving. My guess is it's when the torque converter locks/unlocks? Or maybe something to do with the shift lock? It sounds like a relay clicking on and off. Is that normal or is it something starting to fail?
Old 10-23-23, 05:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,745 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Is the key loose in the ignition? Can usually find shifter assemblies on Ebay with decent looking PRNDL cover but you'll have to buy the entire assembly.
Old 10-23-23, 06:16 PM
Jsutafurr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard69

I've seen a lot of these delaminating so I assume it's a common problem. I can't find a new one online and all the salvage shops have varying degrees of the same problem (most are worse). Does anyone know if the top clear plastic can be separated and fixed?

Also, I keep hearing a clicking noise coming from under the shifter. I can also feel it through the shifter. It happens when coasting to a stop or right after I start moving. My guess is it's when the torque converter locks/unlocks? Or maybe something to do with the shift lock? It sounds like a relay clicking on and off. Is that normal or is it something starting to fail?
Sadly there isn't a way to just separate the clear plastic easily you could break it in the process (ask me how i know) and the noise you are hearing and feeling is the shift lock enganging and disengaging,happens when the shift lock is slight worn so it doesnt click in right,nothing to worry about of be concerned mines been doing since i got the car,its more of an annoying noise
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (10-27-23)
Old 10-24-23, 08:51 AM
94V8coupe
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard69
If anything it would be something to do with the shift interlock. There is no sound related to locking/unlocking of the torque converter. You will "feel" it like an upshift. And that only happens in 3rd and fourth (OD).
Old 10-24-23, 12:50 PM
timmy0tool

Received 417 Likes on 372 Posts

there is a switch trigger at the brake pedal to tell the shift lock out at the shifter to disengage when the pedal is depressed. in reality you wouldn't be able to get out of park in the first place w/o it working right. i suspect the solenoid could be intermittent or the switch at the pedal.

and also it would be worth it to open the center console where the shifter is to clean out any debris/coffee/soda/dust/crud that has made it into those areas over the years.