LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Click noise from shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 06:21 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Click noise from shifter

Okay I'm not sure what is but on my 98 Lexus ls400 the shifter when I shift down from park to the lowest gear it is fine but what I shift from lowest gear back to park, when I get to neutral it make a click noise. After neutral it's normal again no click noise. And no I do not drive from lowest gear and change on my own lol was just trying if it make noise from the other gears as well. It only click when I go from gears to neutral but doesn't not when I'm going from reverse to neutral. Anyone have a clue of what it could be? I've checked the fluid and it seem good. Hope the link below work

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/ihearthater1/media/FEA871E8-8E59-4CF7-B981-9CB367CDD21C_zpsyhdnbygd.mp4.html
Old 05-20-14, 10:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it's normal,. that's the neutral safety switch and associated relay activating/deactivating.
Old 05-20-14, 10:50 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
it's normal,. that's the neutral safety switch and associated relay activating/deactivating.
It never made that click noise before, and now it does so I wasn't sure what it could be. So is it completely normal and I should have nothing to worry about?
Old 05-21-14, 10:51 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

as PD said, a solenoid click is normal, but i suspect the plastic slide is binding inside the shifter. there is a plastic piece that covers the gates of the shifter, and it slides as the shifter is positioned. if there is gunk buildup under there, it could cause some noises.

could also be the linkage itself under the car. how is your transmission mount?
Old 06-10-14, 10:23 AM
lsbean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new user here. Been lurking for a while (awesome resources on this forum, by the way) and finally made an account because lurking is creepy in most circles.

So, similar-ish issue with my '92 LS400 (4-speed auto) - when I am in park, with the parking brake set, there is a popping noise from the gear shift (or the transmission underneath - I was on the way to work this morning and didn't have time to crawl underneath the car to listen at that point). It does repeat, and is new as of this morning. It also occurs both at a cold start and after the car is warmed up (did it again when I parked at my workplace). It is palpable to touch - I can feel the popping when I place my hand or fingers on the gear shift cover and the shifter itself.

It does not pop when I am shifting or driving;
It will pop/ click repeatedly while in park w/ parking brake set but not in other gears;
Did not pop/ click when parking brake was not set - but again, didn't have time to do a full run-through of variables this morning;
This is a new problem, has not ever happened before.

I just moved and basically have no tools currently, anything I can check visually without needing to disassemble something?

Thanks,
Bean
Old 06-10-14, 11:17 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lsbean
Hi, new user here. Been lurking for a while (awesome resources on this forum, by the way) and finally made an account because lurking is creepy in most circles.

So, similar-ish issue with my '92 LS400 (4-speed auto) - when I am in park, with the parking brake set, there is a popping noise from the gear shift (or the transmission underneath - I was on the way to work this morning and didn't have time to crawl underneath the car to listen at that point). It does repeat, and is new as of this morning. It also occurs both at a cold start and after the car is warmed up (did it again when I parked at my workplace). It is palpable to touch - I can feel the popping when I place my hand or fingers on the gear shift cover and the shifter itself.

It does not pop when I am shifting or driving;
It will pop/ click repeatedly while in park w/ parking brake set but not in other gears;
Did not pop/ click when parking brake was not set - but again, didn't have time to do a full run-through of variables this morning;
This is a new problem, has not ever happened before.

I just moved and basically have no tools currently, anything I can check visually without needing to disassemble something?

Thanks,
Bean
What I did is I pop off the center piece and cleaned it and that fixed the problem.
Old 06-11-14, 06:20 AM
lsbean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonderful, thank you. I will try that.
Bean