LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99’ LS 400. Headlights looking tilted/wonky.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 06:26 PM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99’ LS 400. Headlights looking tilted/wonky.

Hey, Club Lexus!
I’m looking for some feedback here, how can I make these headlights look more uniform?
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-21-23, 07:27 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

It may be the camera angle but it appears you're running a lot of negative camber which begs the question of altered ride height.

HID's have a self-leveling system. The self-leveling system uses height sensors through the headlight beam level control ECU and height actuators at the headlights.

The headlight assemblies probably need their baseline level re-established. IOW, they need to be re-aimed.
Old 09-21-23, 08:55 AM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paulo57509
It may be the camera angle but it appears you're running a lot of negative camber which begs the question of altered ride height.

HID's have a self-leveling system. The self-leveling system uses height sensors through the headlight beam level control ECU and height actuators at the headlights.

The headlight assemblies probably need their baseline level re-established. IOW, they need to be re-aimed.

Good point with the camber, it was lowered/cambered when I got it and I haven’t really played around with changing that quite yet. I agree the camera angle is weird, but if you look at the actual gaps between the panels and the headlights, you begin to see where it looks askew. It’s particularly noticeable on the drivers side.
Old 09-21-23, 10:39 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 322 Posts

Oh you mean the entire headlight assembly is loose\rotating. The entire plastic housing.

Yeah, this is a mounting problem. There is some bracket somewhere that's broken. Perhaps a poorly repaired accident by a previous owner...
Old 09-21-23, 10:42 AM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Oh you mean the entire headlight assembly is loose\rotating. The entire plastic housing.

Yeah, this is a mounting problem. There is some bracket somewhere that's broken. Perhaps a poorly repaired accident by a previous owner...
Oh god, I pray it’s *not* an accident repair. The title is clean and the car is in fantastic condition, an unreported accident would drive me insane.
Old 09-21-23, 10:57 AM
400fanboy
Racer

For reference here are the tolerances and the fits of what mine look like:

They should be PRETTY tight. All 4 of your lights look like they are not straight, including the side turn signals.
The following users liked this post:
CQC (09-21-23)
Old 09-21-23, 11:01 AM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

So I was looking again and noticed it’s literally the full hood that’s on a tilt here.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-23, 11:13 AM
400fanboy
Racer

It's more than the hood. The bottom right of the driver side headlight is completely out of whack.

I have no idea what the actual problem is - but there's something in there.
Old 09-21-23, 11:23 AM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

It's more than the hood. The bottom right of the driver side headlight is completely out of whack.

I have no idea what the actual problem is - but there's something in there.

Cracked it open and I think I’ve located the problem.

Ziptie central down there, folks.
Old 09-21-23, 11:43 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Well there's yer problem

Someone's done some mickey mouse **** to that front end. Best of luck figuring it out. This car has decently been in an accident. Probably low speed, low damage, but as usual, these things are repaired off of the books.

What is this, and why is it cracked?

Carfax is a hint, at best, to the history of the car. If it gets reported to insurance, or worked on at a dealership, it makes it on. EVERYTHING else never will EVER make it on.
Old 09-21-23, 11:47 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

::Removed Content:: You guys are too fast with your posts this AM...

Last edited by paulo57509; 09-21-23 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-21-23, 11:53 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

Well there's yer problem

Someone's done some mickey mouse **** to that front end. Best of luck figuring it out. This car has decently been in an accident. Probably low speed, low damage, but as usual, these things are repaired off of the books.

Carfax is a hint, at best, to the history of the car. If it gets reported to insurance, or worked on at a dealership, it makes it on. EVERYTHING else never will EVER make it on.
I kind of suspected a collision after looking at it a while.

It's the bumper cover, looking from the top.
Old 09-21-23, 12:08 PM
CQC
Driver School Candidate

Well there's yer problem

Interesting you mention Carfax, I checked out the Carfax the day I got it and it has nothing regarding any sort of damage/collision, there are a few listings for general service (power steering/body lubrication/fluids, etc.) though... I'm at a loss here.
I can't even begin to deduce what a good fix here might be.. The car is otherwise in beautiful condition.
Old 09-21-23, 12:08 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Now we know why it looks whacked.

Old 09-21-23, 12:28 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by CQC
Interesting you mention Carfax, I checked out the Carfax the day I got it and it has nothing regarding any sort of damage/collision, there are a few listings for general service (power steering/body lubrication/fluids, etc.) though... I'm at a loss here.
I can't even begin to deduce what a good fix here might be.. The car is otherwise in beautiful condition.
Carfax tells you if insurance paid for it, or, if it was brought to a dealership.

So it's an imperfect story at best and frankly, doesn't mean much. It only alerts you to the big incidents.

Quick Reply: 99’ LS 400. Headlights looking tilted/wonky.