LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Eflex plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 11:15 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Eflex plus

https://eflexfuel.com/us/auto-products

Very intriguing

Anyone try yet?
Old 08-05-23, 01:27 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 322 Posts

Interesting, so it's a piggyback that runs ontop of the standard system. I know nothing about this product - but what could possibly go wrong. I wonder if they maintain OEM drivability and engine tuning if this thing is sitting ontop, intercepting all of the computer signals... I also where they get their power gain claims from. A piggyback system can't adjust timing or any of the other stuff necessary to make more power... and then I wonder if the stock 1UZ injectors are even able to have enough flow rate to be able to handle E85 without overwhelming the duty cycle.

I would be really wary of a "universal kit". It won't be calibrated specifically for our engine. I'd expect OEM connectors and a pre-made map to be a little more confident in hooking it up to my car and trusting it to get the air\fuel right...

I hate working with E85, nobody ever has enough, you're always running out. It only makes sense on boosted engines where you can take advantage of it's properties and use it to raise the ceiling of how much boost you can run. It seems quite pointless to me on a naturally aspirated motor, especially outside of a motorsport pursuit when it's just like, your car.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 08-05-23 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 01:29 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Interesting, so it's a piggyback that runs ontop of the standard system. I know nothing about this product - but what could possibly go wrong. I wonder if they maintain OEM drivability and engine tuning if this thing is sitting ontop, intercepting all of the computer signals...

E85 to me only makes sense on boosted engines where you can take advantage of it's properties and use it to raise the ceiling of how much boost you can run. It seems quite pointless to me on a naturally aspirated motor, especially outside of a motorsport pursuit when it's just like, your car.
Only knew about this thanks to a Chris fix video he put it on a Prius. E85 is almost half price. I know it burns more however the placebo of a full tank for $60 or so is great
Old 08-05-23, 01:45 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Yeah but you burn more gas in the process. I don't know the ratios, but Chris will be right, generally speaking it should still net-net be cheaper because of all the govt ethanol subsidies. Assuming the product saves you 10% overall fuel costs, it will take roughly 30,000 miles to ROI the $700 purchase price. If it's 20%, it will be 15,000 miles.

However... Man. Chris Fix. I've learned so much from him over the years. Wonderful source of information. But what the ****. He basically did a 30 minute long infomertial for the product, with links in both the description of the video and the top pinned comment.

There is no world in where this company didn't pay him to make this video, and, not once did he say the company sponsored him. Not once did he say in the video (in the first\last few minutes) that the video was sponsored. That just sets me the wrong way. The first major miss I've ever seen Chris make honestly. This lack of disclosure is really disgusting.

There's also this.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/efl...#post-14195223

Many metals and other materials used in older cars (e.g. the gas tank) are not compatible and will corrode significantly with E85. If this tells you anything, E15 (15% ethanol) recently came out to many gas stations and it is illegal to put E15 into anything older than 2001
And this

1 - To run E85 you need more advanced ignition spark timing. This kit only corrects the fuel mixture, but not ignition, so you will actually lose power.

2 - With the water in the ethanol, your fuel pump will burn soon and the fuel injectors will have trouble bcs they are not designed to tolerate ethanol.

3 - Ethanol is good for turbo not only for the octane, but mainly because the combustion generate less heat, so you have a security gap to keep pistons and head gasket safer from melting.

4 - the chemical proportion for correct combustion is 30% more fuel in case of ethanol. So to check if it's worth just divide ethanol price by gas price, the result must be less than 0,7. In the pump in the video ethanol is 2,99 and gas is 4,99, so 2,99/4,99 = 0,59. In this case you will save more money using ethanol.

5 - Because of less heat, ethanol takes longer to warmup. If you have severe winter don't even try. Until the running temperature the injection throws extra fuel to keep it awake, and this will flow through the rings and deposit in the oil pan. When you change the oil of an ethanol car, it smells alcohol like hell. If the temperature is constantly less than 15c (60f) stay away from ethanol.
Old 08-05-23, 01:48 AM
400fanboy
Racer

I like E85 as an option when the car is engineered by the OEM for it - but not as a retrofit kit. Too many negatives, and retrofits don't allow you to soak in all the advantages.
Old 08-05-23, 05:27 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes I would practice caution with any kits personally. I will say this though, all new cars now a days are already basically flex fuel because of the blends a lot of gas stations use in the States here are not 100% petroleum based and most contain ethanol, so car companies design cars with that in mind. So your cars computer currently will make adjustments accordingly. So your playing a game so to speak on how much your car can adjust in its current capacity to be able to adjust. It is quite possible these cars can adjust far higher that the current level however, not as high as 85% because that's where the knock comes in. What you can do is the next time you are a station that sells E85, try say putting 20 dollars of Premium fuel in, then go to the E85 pump and put 5 dollars of E85 in the tank with it, see how your car responds to that. So that way your not going all in on E85 but setting your own blend to see what your vehicles computer is capable of adjust to. I can tell you from personal experience I had a fuel injected 1995 jeep wrangler I ran for many years going to the gas station and I would put a half a tank of E85 and a half a tank of regular unleaded. My jeep adjusted just fine to it. Now if I tried to go full E85, which i did try it, it's was too much the engine "system" could not make proper adjustments to that high of a level properly. But yea 50% half and half worked great. You won't get better gas mileage because its a much more volatile fuel and has a higher evaporation rate too. And its really not a good idea to let a vehicle sit for longer durations of time with high concentrations of E85, its a bad idea actually, you want to run vehicles regularly that run higher blends. So I would say we already have flex fuel cars, just a matter of determining how flexible is it in regards to the oem onboard factory system being able to adjust. I would say its capable of a higher ratio than is currently used at gas stations, how much I don't know.

Last edited by CLLEXUSS; 08-05-23 at 05:31 PM.