LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 JDM Celsior Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 02:40 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 1993 JDM Celsior Air Suspension

Hey guys. I am looking for some specific information on the rear height control valve in the trunk. Can anybody tell me if that plastic **** on the left of the assy is a relief valve? And if so any idea what pressure it is set at and now to test/reset it?

Old 06-24-23, 06:59 PM
Yamae

Received 867 Likes on 654 Posts

I just checked the service manual for UCF21 (not UCF11) and attached is picked up from it. The plastic part is also used for newer models but nothing is explained about it in the manual. The other explanations are all in Japanese but what the drawing says is that the resistance of solenoid should be between 10-14 ohms. Apply the battery voltage (12V) to each solenoid and the air should pass through between A-B or A-C.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (06-25-23)
Old 06-25-23, 05:20 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thanks for your help Yamae. I myself have been searching all over for what that thing may be. The reason I started the thread was that I had removed the plastic **** and it has an adjustment so I was trying to find what that was all about.

My suspension is working fine for now the only problem was that right rear shock that couldn't hold pressure but I have come up with a fix that is still in the 'experimental' phase and so far so good.

Thanks again
Old 06-25-23, 07:45 PM
cj98ls
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I just checked the service manual for UCF21 (not UCF11) and attached is picked up from it. The plastic part is also used for newer models but nothing is explained about it in the manual. The other explanations are all in Japanese but what the drawing says is that the resistance of solenoid should be between 10-14 ohms. Apply the battery voltage (12V) to each solenoid and the air should pass through between A-B or A-C.
Thank you for the post Yamae. I'm also having issues with the height control system and this will definitely be on my list to check. I decided to look at the US "Repair Manual" for 1998 LS400 and was unable to find such information there, of course.
avhart - There is a drawing on page SA-131 of the 1998 LS400 repair manual that leads me to believe that the two height control valves, at least on the 98, are basically the same valve, but the plastic "****" looking thing in your image might be a plug to block off what in the front height control valve is the connection to the tube leading to the compressor/dryer. I'd be interested in what you find in your experimentation with the adjustment on the rear valve and also how your fix for the rear strut works out.
avhart (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 05:31 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Ok CJ, I'll keep you in mind. I'll post the results as soon as I have them properly sorted.
Old 06-30-23, 11:52 AM
cj98ls
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So I was wrong about Yamae's information not being in the Repair Manual for the 1998 LS400. The diagnosis information is in the Diagnostics section, who could have guessed? There is a description of the diagnostic procedure and drawing and table of the pins and resistance of the valve solenoids but no drawing of the valve body. That's all on page DI-263 on my edition of the manual, a reprinted first printing dated 9/11/97, purchased this year through ebay.
Old 07-14-23, 02:43 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

UPDATE! Hi CJ, Yamae and others who may be interested in my experimental fix of my rear air shock. It started with the owner of a local Tire repair shop who had successfully repaired a couple of tires with sidewall damage for me. I took the shock with the damaged air bag to him and he worked his magic on it as well. He used inner tube material and glued a strip of it around where the bag was damaged and it is actually holding up. I have it installed a couple of weeks now and it's still good.

It's not, however, perfect so after a week or more the air does still leak out but it pumps back up right away when I start the engine and lasts for another week or two. For now, that's good enough for me until I can get the money together to buy another one. I'm happy.
Old 07-14-23, 06:27 PM
Yamae

Received 867 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by avhart
UPDATE! Hi CJ, Yamae and others who may be interested in my experimental fix of my rear air shock. It started with the owner of a local Tire repair shop who had successfully repaired a couple of tires with sidewall damage for me. I took the shock with the damaged air bag to him and he worked his magic on it as well. He used inner tube material and glued a strip of it around where the bag was damaged and it is actually holding up. I have it installed a couple of weeks now and it's still good.

It's not, however, perfect so after a week or more the air does still leak out but it pumps back up right away when I start the engine and lasts for another week or two. For now, that's good enough for me until I can get the money together to buy another one. I'm happy.
Thanks for the information. I never thought that the air bag is repairable. It would be more robust, if a good material and a strong adhesive were found.

Incidentally, the plastic **** is the relief valve, I finally found. I will show you more at your another thread.
avhart (07-15-23)
Old 07-15-23, 05:33 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thanks for your help once again Yamae. I appreciate it a lot. My Celsior is my only real hobby and I love taking care of it and driving it to the Supermarket and such. I will always try to keep it as original as possible and I can say that ******* website has been one of my greatest resources when it comes to parts.