LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 LS400 driving issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 03:48 PM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 LS400 driving issues

I know this post has been talked about countless times. I just want a little more recent info/news/fixes.

92ls400

check engine light on intermittently code 25 only. Engine lean malfunction.
and the car has a very bad misfire almost undrivable. Heavy throttle misfires like a mffffff. Light throttle feels ok(sometimes) On idle it burps here and there.

I don’t want to keep throwing money at it. I was going to buy ignition coils and dizzy caps and rotors. But I’m not sure if it could be a sensor failing/failed. Please help. I want my baby girl healthy

replaced:
spark plugs and wires.
All coolant temp sensors.
tps sensor.
idle air control valve.
Deleted egr.
Old 05-29-23, 01:25 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

I would confirm that the engine is getting adequate fuel supply:
  • Fuel pump providing adequate pressure/volume.
  • Injectors unplugged.
  • Fuel filter unplugged.
  • Fuel pump pickup filter unplugged.
If the O2 sensors are reading a lean condition, the ECU should be attempting to richen the mixture by decreasing injector dwell (injector off time).
  • What did the business end of the old plugs look like?
Old 05-30-23, 05:53 AM
Yamae

Received 876 Likes on 662 Posts

In case the code is only 25, it simply means that the problem is only one side of the bank. I'd rather think it's a vacuum leak, clogged injectors or a failing OXL1 of bank 1. To check the leak, a smoke machine is useful to find out the exact leaking point. The OXL1 can be checked as is explained here.

If you have the code 26 too, I will add to check the fundamental fuel supply issues.

Last edited by Yamae; 05-31-23 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo issue
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (05-30-23)
Old 06-15-23, 06:53 AM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Originally Posted by paulo57509
  • Injectors unplugged.
  • Fuel filter unplugged.
If the O2 sensors are reading a lean condition, the ECU should be attempting to richen the mixture by decreasing injector dwell (injector off time).
the new plugs I had just put in were black. So I’m assuming the plugs fouled out from the ecu keeping the injectors open longer. I replaced with another new set or plugs. Same issue. So I decided to get new upstream o2 sensors thought one may have been failing. Still….same issue… everyone around is scared to help diag this beast😔
Old 06-15-23, 07:02 AM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamae
In case the code is only 25, it simply means that the problem is only one side of the bank. I'd rather think it's a vacuum leak, clogged injectors or a failing OXL1 of bank 1. To check the leak, a smoke machine is useful to find out the exact leaking point. The OXL1 can be checked as is explained here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJXLS_SDUI

If you have the code 26 too, I will add to check the fundamental fuel supply issues.
thank you for the video.
I’ve smoked the intake before and found a leak behind the intake manifold. Assumed it was intake gaskets. Replaced them.
Smoked again and still a leak. Ended up being a leak from the vacuum line to the back of the manifold from brake booster. replaced that.
smoked again and has no leaks. This was about a year ago. And it was running fine until about 2 weeks ago.

I replaced my upstream o2 sensors and I still have the same issue…. Idk what to do
Old 06-15-23, 07:03 AM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Could a bad tps cause this drivability issue ?
Old 06-15-23, 07:10 AM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Originally Posted by paulo57509
  • Injectors unplugged.
  • Fuel filter unplugged.

forgot to mention I have new fuel pump and filter
Old 06-16-23, 07:18 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 322 Posts

Has the ECU been repaired? Any further diagnosis is impossible until the ECU is confirmed healthy.

How to test if you don't know if it's been repaired:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-by-yamae.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 06-18-23, 03:37 AM
Gerro
2nd gear

Originally Posted by low4hunnit
I know this post has been talked about countless times. I just want a little more recent info/news/fixes.

92ls400

and the car has a very bad misfire almost undrivable. Heavy throttle misfires like a mffffff. Light throttle feels ok(sometimes) On idle it burps here and there.

I don’t want to keep throwing money at it. I was going to buy ignition coils and dizzy caps and rotors. But I’m not sure if it could be a sensor failing/failed. Please help. I want my baby girl healthy

replaced:
spark plugs and wires.
tps sensor.
idle air control valve.
Deleted egr.
Hi All.
Had the same issue for a long time. Ended up to be a "working" coil breaking down. Idle fine and misfire on load and throttle. Take a timing light and clip on the coil wire. It needs to flash very fast, NOT SLOW AND INTERMITTENT. It causes enough spark for idle but breaks down on rev or load.
Old 06-18-23, 03:41 AM
Gerro
2nd gear

92ls400

replaced:
spark plugs and wires.
tps sensor.
idle air control valve.
Deleted egr.
Check your coil wire with a timing light. It must flash very quick even on idle. A coil breaking down wil flash slow and intermittently.
Old 06-29-23, 07:10 AM
low4hunnit
6th Gear

Figured the issue out about a week ago. Passenger side ignition coil (USDM) is the culprit (Both are new now).
Threw some coils on and car misfire was gone right away.
I still have a lean malfunction code (unrelated issue). But misfire is completely gone.
Never assume something is ok just because it hasn’t completely failed.

fuel injectors are probably my issue as since I changed the failed fuel filter that was broken inside :/ 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 Injectors on this car aren’t an enjoyable or easy job
Old 06-29-23, 08:09 AM
fondu
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Figured the issue out about a week ago. Passenger side ignition coil (USDM) is the culprit (Both are new now).
Threw some coils on and car misfire was gone right away.
I still have a lean malfunction code (unrelated issue). But misfire is completely gone.
Never assume something is ok just because it hasn’t completely failed.

fuel injectors are probably my issue as since I changed the failed fuel filter that was broken inside :/ 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 Injectors on this car aren’t an enjoyable or easy job
The Injectors are a big job but everyone makes a bigger deal about removing the intake manifold then it really is. If you do the injectors make sure you replace all the rubber seals, they are rock hard now and probably allowing unmetered air in the engine.