Help......Faulty HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 10:28 AM
4double0
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Help......Faulty HID Kit

Hey guys,

What should I do? I've installed my HID kit, but the result is the lights won't come on. My initial thought was that I connected something wrong, but the process is so simple that I figured that couldn't be it. I tried both ballast and bulbs but the result was the same. So I've drawn the conclusion that it must be a faulty kit, however I still have some reservations that my technical skill may be the problem, I don't know, can anyone lend me some advice. Here is my process, keep in mind I've done this three different times:
I disconnected the negative terminal, then I removed the halogen bulb and installed the HID bulb. I then connected the bulb to the two connectors of the ballast. Then I connected the grey and blue connector of the wiring harness to the ballast, and the black connector of the wiring harness to the halogen connector. My next step was connecting the red wire of the harness to the positive terminal on the battery and grounding the black wire of the harness to the body of the vehicle. Turned the lights on and nothing happened. Turned the lights on and off for about three times and still nothing happende
Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong?
Old 03-18-03, 11:41 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check page 2 of PHML's installation write-up. Did you somehow mismatch the polarities of the wires when connecting the stock 9006 harness to the ballast plug? in other words, did you do red to black instead of black to black and red to red?
Old 03-18-03, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah, did you swap the polarity? if not, you have blown two fuses
Old 03-18-03, 01:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey 4double0 -

The cavalry (Rominl, Brendan, and PHML) is here!!

As Brendan and Rominl states....the polarity is probably switched at the 9006 connectors. You also probably popped your 15 Amp fuses too. Look at your manual to find out where they are located.

Here's the link to my writeup.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2

Let us know how is goes. Take pics if you can.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 03-19-03 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 03:53 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar problem when I first got my ballasts. I thought they were fried until I noticed that the positive line going toward my battery didn't have a fuse attatched. So I hopped my behind over to Radio Shack and purchased one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=270%2D1237 and this http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=270%2D1095 and then wired it into the positive line like 2-3 inches from the positive end of the relay switch wire. After this, everything worked fine and I was able to accurately test my HID system. Here is a shot of my relay after the hookup of the in line fuse. The black parts of the wire are the connectors wrapped up in electrical tape. Write back or PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-18-03, 11:56 PM
4double0
Driver

Thumbs up HIDs

Hey guys,

You were exactly right. That was the problem. Thanks for the easy fix. Now you have me concerned about the blown fuses. Non-the -less you guys are great, thanks for everything and I appreciate the quick replies.
Old 03-19-03, 12:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: HIDs

Originally posted by 4double0
Hey guys,

You were exactly right. That was the problem. Thanks for the easy fix. Now you have me concerned about the blown fuses. Non-the -less you guys are great, thanks for everything and I appreciate the quick replies.
no problem man, welcome to the club
Old 03-19-03, 01:39 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Hey guys,

Good job dude!!

I glad our info. helped. Welcome to the HID club.

Pete
Old 03-19-03, 05:41 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Welcome to the club

Last edited by brendanlim; 03-19-03 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 10:28 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

btw...where did you buy your kit from? What color is it? 4300K? 5000K? 6000K?

just interested to see if other 6000k kits put out the same color hue as Discountcucle's kit.

One word......PICS?

Pete
Old 03-19-03, 11:46 AM
4double0
Driver

Post HIDs

PHML,

I bought my kit from autolamps-online, its the 6000k kit which to me seems to come on very blue and then warm-up to a white light with a bluish/purple hue. My camera is broken, so I'll see if my friend will snap a few shots so I can post. By the way, I didn't blow the two fuses that was discussed in the link you provided. I read that the two fuses was for the left and right headlights, however when I was having the problem that you guys help me fix, I removed the kit and re-installed my halogen bulbs and it worked fine. When I re-installed my HID kit I checked all of my lights on the exterior and the interior, I checked the seats, the a/c, virtually everthing and it all seems to work fine. Just one of those things I guess
Oh! Two questions: How do you aim the headlamps? and, Do you think I will have any trouble getting a state inspection with the new kit installed?
Old 03-19-03, 12:04 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

PHML,

I bought my kit from autolamps-online, its the 6000k kit which to me seems to come on very blue and then warm-up to a white light with a bluish/purple hue. My camera is broken, so I'll see if my friend will snap a few shots so I can post. By the way, I didn't blow the two fuses that was discussed in the link you provided. I read that the two fuses was for the left and right headlights, however when I was having the problem that you guys help me fix, I removed the kit and re-installed my halogen bulbs and it worked fine. When I re-installed my HID kit I checked all of my lights on the exterior and the interior, I checked the seats, the a/c, virtually everthing and it all seems to work fine. Just one of those things I guess
Oh! Two questions: How do you aim the headlamps? and, Do you think I will have any trouble getting a state inspection with the new kit installed?
Good to hear you did NOT blow your fuses.....you one of the lucky ones....LOL.

In regards to aim, click on this thread (page 1 & 2):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Finally, you asked about state inspection. Good question. You shouldn't have a problem unless the inspector have a color meter to test the color output...which I doubt. Inspectors are probably more worried about tire wear, turning signals, horn, wipers, and tints. I usually go to the same place all the time with my cars.....to the point they know me.

Worse case scenario is that you have to temporarily put your halogens back in....which should NOT be a big deal....just remove HID bulb and 9006 connector....then connect halogen to 9006 connector....I would leave everything else (ballast, fuse, etc...) in there.

Pete