Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Autolamps-online.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by mdw131
Im still confused over the D2S vs D2R...I thought we need D2R but jason is selling them as D2S.....
d2r and d2s are the bulb type if you have hid housing ALREADY. but if you get hid kit, meanig you don't have hit now, you will get a re-based bulb from either d2s or d2r. what he probably means is that the bulbs are re-based from d2s, just like mine
Old 03-04-03, 12:36 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well you can try emailing him directly at discountcycle@ureach.com that's how i found him the first time. i got my kit for 460 shipped back then but now he has a different distributor so it's cheaper

somehow his listing on groupbuycenter.com is out already, but try emailing him

personally i prefer philips bulbs over osram. but osram is still vey good
Thanks for your help rominl, I'll get touch with him and get my HID
Old 03-04-03, 01:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason's Status:

Just got an email from Jason. His kits are in-transit to him as I type. He should get them very soon. If you pre-ordered via groupbuy.com in late February.....expect your kit either late this week or early next week.

If you want to get a kit, just email him.

PHML
Old 03-04-03, 03:09 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Default Let me clarify

Rom, I know that there is a difference in D2R(reflector bulbs) an D2S(projection) but I am not sure why Jason is only selling D2S kits and if they will work in the headlight housing....

On a side note why does your location, retrodrive's, etc all say alabama??? Arent you guys in SoCal?
Old 03-04-03, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Let me clarify

Originally posted by mdw131
Rom, I know that there is a difference in D2R(reflector bulbs) an D2S(projection) but I am not sure why Jason is only selling D2S kits and if they will work in the headlight housing....

On a side note why does your location, retrodrive's, etc all say alabama??? Arent you guys in SoCal?
oh, a lot of us were talking and found out that alabama is such a nice place to live in so we have all moved already...... j/k lol.... when we upgrade the whole forum some items got reset, and this is one of them. i am just too lazy to go change it

anyway, here's the story on the bulb type, i guess it's easier to use my cars as example. my gs4 stock, it has 9006 halogen headlight and 9006 fogs. my acura tl-s, it has d2r headlight and 9006 fogs.

i got d2r 6000k bulbs for the headlight on my acura, no problem direct replacement. yes there is a metal piece on the d2r on both my original and new bulbs.

then i got 6000k 9006 hid kit for the fog lights on my acura. it's rebased from d2s, meaning there is no metal piece on the bulb. and in fact i don't need it since the fog housing is not d2r housing, i would gain the extra light output from the bulb. put the hid kit in, and the fogs on my acura became just as bright

after i got my gs4, i decided to get hid for it as well. supposedly i should have gotten a 6000k 9006 hid kit that's rebased from d2r bulbs, so that there is a metal piece and that will make sure all the light from my hid would go down to the road instead of all direction. but i didn't do that and get the same kit that i used for the fogs on my acura (rebased from d2s). end result, no problem, the road is just as bright. when compared to others with stock hid, from a distance my hid seems a bit brighter coz' i get a bit more light scattered upward.

now IF i get 6000k 9006 hid kit for my fogs on the gs4, i would definitely get the ones that are rebased from d2s, same reason as that for my acura.

so basically, you can rebase either the d2r or the d2s to 9006 to fit in the headlight of my gs4. supposedly i should get the one that are rebased from d2r for light output issue, but i got the other kind. no problem whatsoever though.

and i beleive that's why jason stated what kind of bulb his hid kits are rebased from.
Old 03-04-03, 03:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
Jason's Status:

Just got an email from Jason. His kits are in-transit to him as I type. He should get them very soon. If you pre-ordered via groupbuy.com in late February.....expect your kit either late this week or early next week.

If you want to get a kit, just email him.

PHML
that's some very good news!!!! install the kit and see if it's as easy as mine. maybe you can post a pic of the box, kits, components, etc... so i know if it's the same kit i got?
Old 03-04-03, 04:36 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Hey new member here....no Lexus yet. I'm planning on getting an IS300 in a few months though so I've been lurking for a while.

Anyways, what I heard is that D2S is what you want for a retrofit kit. This is what autolampsonline includes in their HID kits. Reason being is that small little glare strip is only useful in OEM applications. The headlight has to be designed around the D2R bulbs from the beginning in order to see any benefit. Anytime else it's a waste because the lumens and color temp drops a little because light is being blocked off by the glare strip. This is what I was told from the knowledgeable people from HIDforums.com. But one thing to keep in mind is to properly aim your bulbs after you get them installed. Basically, it's like you are putting in a 300% brighter halogen bulb with a 6000K color temp. My gf has an HID kit converted GS300 and glare isn't that bad once it's aimed properly. But when you first flick them on....whoah. I'm still amused ever time...haha
Old 03-04-03, 04:40 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Oh yeah, someone mentioned that the price was 452....I think he sent my $10 for the additional delay making it $442 shipped. He also said he would ship next day air as well when I emailed him about the status. I'm curious if he promised anyone else the same?? Cause he didn't use the 'email all participants' link on the groupbuycenter site to contact me.
Old 03-05-03, 01:12 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by 99SHlude
Oh yeah, someone mentioned that the price was 452....I think he sent my $10 for the additional delay making it $442 shipped. He also said he would ship next day air as well when I emailed him about the status. I'm curious if he promised anyone else the same?? Cause he didn't use the 'email all participants' link on the groupbuycenter site to contact me.
Yes, Jason did credit me $10 for the delay caused by the manufacturer. He also stated that he will Next Day Air for those who pre-ordered and had to wait.

Just shows how a standup guy he is.
Old 03-05-03, 08:54 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Default Just purchase HID

Yes, I've contact Jason and he reply me back saying that he will honor group buy price and I just send him a payment.

Thanks to CL memebers helping me out.
Old 03-05-03, 09:38 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

No problem...dude. That's why we are here.....to help one another out. I don't believe there is another car enthusiast site like this. ClubLexus ROCKS!!
Old 03-05-03, 09:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh wow, i hope all these works out. let me know how it goes guys. i was the one spreading out words for jason, so i want to make sure you guys get what was told. keep me posted
Old 03-05-03, 10:29 AM
99SHlude
Rookie

I just got an email from him saying they will be arriving this evening and that he'll be shipping them out 1st thing tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any additional delays.
Old 03-05-03, 11:33 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by rominl
oh wow, i hope all these works out. let me know how it goes guys. i was the one spreading out words for jason, so i want to make sure you guys get what was told. keep me posted
Yah....we can all give a BIG THANKS to Rominl for his referral.

Last edited by PHML; 03-05-03 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-05-03, 11:40 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Default Confused about 6000K

I was searching for HID installation instruction and found some CL members has different view of the 6000K HID.

Such as

WHY MANARAY PICKED 4100K AND NOT 6000K
1) 4100K puts out more light. PERIOD. The point of a HID upgrade is to get more light.

2) The 6000K kit, which I've seen in real life, looks purple. It LOOKS aftermarket. It's something I can see ricers getting excited about (the same ones that put the blue LED's on their windshield squirters...DUDE! THEY'RE LIKE BLUE!!)

3) For $100 more, why get something that looks overly aftermarket?
To those of you have 6000K HID Kit do you agree with statement above?

I've just purchased 6000K and I never see my self as RICE!

Quick Reply: Autolamps-online.com