Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Headlight washer covers stolen commonly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 01:26 PM
tkparker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight washer covers stolen commonly?

Strange story but true.
My headlight washer covers came up missing after my car was serviced last Friday. I did not look at the front of the car when I left the Sacramento Lexus dealer, went to the gym for 1 1/2 hrs, and went home.
Called the dealer the following day and finally talked to the service dept Monday. Was told this is pretty common for headlight covers to be stolen - that they did not touch or service the headlight washers. However, the Service Mgr wnet ahead and ordered and tried to install new covers for me -
The parts did not want to fit so the technician went back to check to see if it was the right part -
When he came back he gave me the news that something was actually broken in each headlight washer actuator assembly and now I am looking at over $600 ($300 per headlight) to fix the holes in my bumper where the covers used to be.

I thought I would ask this forum if headlight washer covers are commonly stolen - this seems odd to me - has anyone heard of this or had this happen to them? Also seems like a design flaw.

I am finding it hard to believe the coincidence of those parts missing immediately after having the car serviced by the dealer - where I parked at the gym for 1 1/2 hrs in daylight, I have been going for over a year in a nice neighborhood without any issues -
Thoughts?
Old 01-12-13, 01:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I haven't heard of the headlight washer covers being stolen, but I do know the little cover for the tow hooks on the bumper are stolen regularly. Not sure why someone would want to steal the washer cover, as not everyone has that option on their vehicle. In terms of a design flaw, I really thought it should've been like Mercedes Benz where the washer would pop up from the bumper instead of an extra part on the bumper. It's a lot cleaner looking, and probably more difficult to attempt to steal. Sorry to hear this had to happen to you.
Old 01-16-13, 06:29 AM
KAIZEN101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone was to steal the cover and just torn it off.Then most likely it would have broken the actuator tab that holds it on.If not taken off carefully it will break.Doubta thief isnt going to carefully take crap off.