HID: bulbs or ballasts problem for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 09:32 PM
vektor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID: bulbs or ballasts problem for IS250

Hi, guys!

I have a 2007 IS250 with HID lights. My left headlamp used to turn itself off without any reason (well know problem, as far as I can see). Since the colors between the left and right headlamp were not similar, I decided to invest in a pair of Philips D4S 4300K (from ebay.com), which I understand it is the standard for this model.

After having them installed, both left and right headlamps started giving me trouble. At times, it was either the left one (same old) or the right one (I noticed it started to flicker before turning itself off). I suspect there are times when both of them turn off at the same time.

The most surprising part was the right headlamp, which didn't create any problems whatsoever. It could be possible that both of the bulbs are faulty, but I understand this is not that often (from what I've seen, most of the times only one is faulty; what are the chances that both of them are?).

I really don’t know what to do next. Switching them wouldn't help me all, and ordering new ones would mean more money and at least a couple of weeks waiting for them to arrive.

So I have some questions for all of you who were in my shoes:
1. Are there any other methods to see if the bulb is faulty, or maybe it is the ballast?
2. How do I spot faulty ballast?
3. If it is the ballast, where from do I order new one?
3. What else could cause these problems? Could it be the wiring?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-10, 08:43 AM
tmax
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar problem with mine. My left headlight turns off by itself sometimes
I am going to change the ballast and bulb and see what happens. Hope its not a wiring issue. What happened in your case. Did you fix the problem? what measures did you take?
Old 08-02-10, 10:31 AM
alan003
Lead Lap

are you under warranty? take it to the dealer if you do.

Last edited by alan003; 08-02-10 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 10:29 AM
tbarnesga
Driver School Candidate

Default Hid

I am have the same problem! I took it to Lexus and they could not find anything wrong or that is what they said.
Old 11-29-10, 02:11 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea your car is still under warrenty--take it to the dealer, and actually bring a mechanic out and show him the problem! Put the Original bulbs back in though
Old 11-29-10, 03:35 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

This is a common issue with the IS it seems. Every now and then, someone would report this problem. The problem is that it doesn't occur every time you turn on your light. So if you bring it to the dealer, they'll test it and say there's no problem.
Old 11-29-10, 09:18 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm having the same problem. My right headlight would turn off sometimes.. but it would turn back on when switched the lights on/off. I had condensation in that headlight before.. maybe that could be it? so would it be bulbs or ballast?
Old 09-01-11, 06:54 PM
lexspeed89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nugentnsb
I'm having the same problem. My right headlight would turn off sometimes.. but it would turn back on when switched the lights on/off. I had condensation in that headlight before.. maybe that could be it? so would it be bulbs or ballast?
anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 11-26-11, 11:41 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

My driver side headlight has the same problem, any updates?
Old 12-24-11, 11:08 PM
Antihero
Driver

Same problem. A year ago only the right side would go out and now left side goes out too. Solutions?
Old 01-23-12, 04:18 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

when i had v-hid bulbs in, they would go out maybe once every 4-5 months and not turn back on until the next day. Now i put in DDM bulbs, and after 3 days the passenger side bulb turns on for about 1/2 a second at start up, flickers, then goes out every time. any word on these problems?
Old 02-10-12, 02:42 PM
seouljahon
Driver

yeah might drivers side still turns off... would they cover this even out of warranty if it becomes a known issue?
Old 03-15-12, 06:59 PM
VTECMAN
Driver School Candidate

I now have the same problem. This sucks.
Old 03-15-12, 10:32 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

I've read too many posts about this issue. I once helped another member on the forum, and it turns out to be the bulb. Well, guess what, it just happened to me two weeks ago on my driver-side. The light comes on and in a split second, it goes out. Somehow, I thought the ballast is the culprit, thinking it's malfunction and couldn't power up the light. It couldn't be the bulb, thinking it's just a capsule filled with xenon gas.

This gave me an opportunity to take out my headlights to do some upgrade (5k bulb and shield mod), and at the same time, figure out if it's it the bulb or the ballast. I have a good set of denso ballast and oem philips D4S bulb for testing. It turns out to be the bulb. First I tested the ballast. I took the questionable ballast and test it with a known good bulb, and the ballast work. So it's not the ballast. Then I took the questionable bulb and tested it with a known good ballast, and the bulb doesn't come on (actually it came on and then went out, just like when it's on the car). So, the culprit is the bulb. I examine the bulb and notice some hazing on the bulb. Philips is known for making reliable D2S bulbs, but I guess not with D4S bulbs. It could be also incompatibility with Denso ballast, who knows for sure.

Here are the driver-side bulb (left) and passenger-side bulb(right) taken from my 08 IS250:

So as it turns out, the bulb is the issue.

Last edited by jvxdriver; 03-18-12 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added pictures of bulbs aging prematurely.
Old 11-07-13, 08:04 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok fellas will any of the bulbs below work?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...p2HomeClicked=

Quick Reply: HID: bulbs or ballasts problem for IS250