Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Cheap Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 07:44 PM
blux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great to me, havent noticed any difference, so far I'm very happy, guess we'll have to see how long they last before I can really determine if its worth the 15 bucks or not.. I would suggest getting them, but keep your old ones to replace the new ones when they burn out.
Old 06-20-02, 10:26 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the SilverStars in my '96. I love them. The color temp is pretty nice, they look close in color to 4100K HID, although the light output is about the same as a non-tinted halogen. I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I'm running an actual arc-discharge system, but wanted the nicest halogens available (when I switch on my fogs or high beams I can really see how much whiter the SilverStars are.) Besides not losing light output, (like the Hipers I had for one day), they run on standard 55W (some Asian brands run on 85W to attempt to make up for heavy tint, another reason I ditched the Hipers). The SilverStars look especially nice through the projectors. I've seen them on reflector-type headlights (my friend put them on his Explorer after envying mine), and they don't appear quite as white when the beam isn't concentrated through a projector lens. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them yet in H7 (I think that's what the 97-01's use). I've heard good things about Eurolite, not sure if they make an H7. Be patient, Sylvania keeps rolling out new sizes of SilverStars, though.
Old 06-21-02, 04:27 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

NO NO NO NO. don't get the Sylvania bulbs, try this website. Eurolights.com they have the best bulbs, I just ordered some myself for my 97 ES3
Old 06-21-02, 04:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I mean is that MOST aftermarket lights are TINTED and usually put out less ACTUAL LUMENS then a new set of Halogens. Also, Halogens degrade over time so if you have an original set of Halogens in your '93, if you put in brand new anythings, it will look brighter...but in reality, you are putting out LESS light than stock.

Also, brands like Koito (Toyota/Lexus OEM manufacturer), PIAA, Sylvania, Raybrig, Vestec, etc. are all HIGH QUALITY manufactureres. These "eurolite", Nokia, and other cheapie brands are just that...cheap. Made cheap to be sold cheap.

A good set of Halogens cost $50-$100 pair. If you can't afford that, then you can't really afford a Lexus. Seriously, Honda Civic owners buy $15 bulbs....

And don't believe that "Xenon" crap. Unless it has a Ballast and a HID bulb (NO FILAMENT in a HID BULB), it's just HALOGEN no matter what the packaging claims.
Old 06-21-02, 08:35 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

eurolamps cost $45 bucks a pair. So MANARAY what's a good brand of HID look lamps to buy>????????????????????????????
Old 06-21-02, 12:20 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

There is a HUGE difference between Fake Xenon wannabe cheap bulbs and real HID Gas Charged Xenon setups.

Fake Blubs:
The Blue tint on fake xenons filters out all but Blue light, so it actually makes it MUCH MUCH harder to see, especially in bad weather conditions. Because of the BLue tint, they get much hotter and burn out much faster than even regular halogens.

These fake blubs will also melt your wiring harness, because they use MUCH more power to operation.

HID System (Real Xenon)
Uses a Gas discharged blub with no coil. They Opperate at 35watts (as opposed to 65-100watt fakes). They use an igniter system to spark the gas. They Last about 3000 hours+ as opposed to 300hours. They burn more than 3 times brighter than fake bulbs and stock hals.

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 06-21-02 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-21-02, 12:28 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Eurolite blubs WILL melt your harness!!! I had several sets of them on my 1996 GS300 and I had to replace the harness about 4 times per side...

They might work ok for a while, but after about a month or 2 they will start to burn your plug up and go on and off.

Save the money and get the real $400 kit, OR

GET THE CATZ ZITA kit.. its the poor mans HID kit...

It uses ballasts to increase the power on the lights, but does it safely.
Old 06-21-02, 12:44 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

This is a pic showing the difference in brightness of stock and true HID's

Stock

HID System

Works Sighted: manaray
Old 06-21-02, 12:46 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by blux
They look great to me, havent noticed any difference, so far I'm very happy, guess we'll have to see how long they last before I can really determine if its worth the 15 bucks or not.. I would suggest getting them, but keep your old ones to replace the new ones when they burn out.
They won't burn out. they will BURN UP.. THEY REALLY WILL MELT YOUR LIGHT SOCKET!!!!!!
Old 06-21-02, 05:34 PM
blux
Pole Position

oh well, I'm only keepin em for a while, theres no way I'm spending 400 to get brighter bulbs, I dont care that much, I just wanted a different color. I bet you soon there will be HID upgrade kits for under $100 within the next couple of years. Might as well wait.

* (about this light socket thing, you think they would warn you about this when you bought the bulbss...theres going to be a hell of a lot of people replacing there sockets )

Last edited by blux; 06-21-02 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-21-02, 11:07 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Make sure you do not touch those bulbs. I did by accident and the bulbs burned out in about two months. the next pair I put in have been fine and I have not had any problems with them. Buy them from the ricers and you'll get a better deal.
Old 06-22-02, 07:32 AM
blux
Pole Position

enough said
Old 06-23-02, 01:02 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by blux
* (about this light socket thing, you think they would warn you about this when you bought the bulbss...theres going to be a hell of a lot of people replacing there sockets )
If they told you, you wouldn't buy them.
Old 06-23-02, 01:36 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't your headlight mod just as important as say a Tire Mod?

YOu get a HID kit to drastically improve night time driving, Bad weather driving, and improves the look of the car, and does it safely.

You get Better Tires to improve Traction, stopping, going.

Its alot better to spend $400.00 on lights that will help you in several way rather than spend $400.00 on Altezzas, or Aftermarket Speakers, or other stuff like that. That stuff only replaces functional components.
Old 06-23-02, 07:59 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody on this forum put actual HID in a 92-96 ES with the projectors? If so, could they post pics? I've seen it done on the older SC's, but not on an ES.

Quick Reply: Cheap Xenon