Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

2IS HID Fog Relay with Xtreme Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 11:20 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2IS HID Fog Relay with Xtreme Kit

Anyone with the Xtreme (Xenon Depot) kit for the 2IS fogs...How did you guys do a relay from the driver's side fog light to the battery?

The relay wires from the passenger side fog light to the battery just reaches but from the driver's side to the battery is too short.

Anyway I can connect the driver's relay side to the passenger relay?

Thanks
Old 07-13-08, 02:21 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have that kit. I didn't go back to the battery.. way too much effort. Just plugged it in to the stock harness. It's been over a year now I think.. no problems. I say you should just do the same thing. One thing i remember you have to do is to reverse the wires on the harness connector to get this to work.
Old 07-13-08, 02:23 PM
Shank2117
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need a relay for the 2IS
Old 07-13-08, 05:59 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I have that kit. I didn't go back to the battery.. way too much effort. Just plugged it in to the stock harness. It's been over a year now I think.. no problems. I say you should just do the same thing. One thing i remember you have to do is to reverse the wires on the harness connector to get this to work.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually was reading a thread where you posted some pictures on doing this.
Old 07-16-08, 03:37 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys didn't blow any fuses directly connecting the kit?
Old 07-16-08, 03:39 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The point of the relay is to get constant power and to insure you dont blow any fuses if the HID draws to much power. The stock wiring harness might not always fire up the HID fogs since it might be different wattage.
Old 07-16-08, 07:07 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^ I was afraid of those issues in the beginning as well but nothing ever happened with my HID fogs. No blown fuses no nothing. Lots of folks with our IS's have done the same thing. Very few bother to dissasemble the bumper and run longer wiring to get the fogs hooked up to the battery. So far I have heard of nobody who's blown their fuses or melted anything with using the stock harness for HID fogs. The few people with problems with their fogs are those folks who put in aftermarket halogens that are higher wattage and melting their harnesses. I've had mine on over a year already if anything would have happened it would have happened already. Especially since I have aftermarket HID lowbeams as well.
Old 07-17-08, 06:45 PM
kevintq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
^ I was afraid of those issues in the beginning as well but nothing ever happened with my HID fogs. No blown fuses no nothing. Lots of folks with our IS's have done the same thing. Very few bother to dissasemble the bumper and run longer wiring to get the fogs hooked up to the battery. So far I have heard of nobody who's blown their fuses or melted anything with using the stock harness for HID fogs. The few people with problems with their fogs are those folks who put in aftermarket halogens that are higher wattage and melting their harnesses. I've had mine on over a year already if anything would have happened it would have happened already. Especially since I have aftermarket HID lowbeams as well.

SO you basically been running 2 sets of HID's on your car with the stock wiring without the battery wire harnesses and there is no problem at all? not even the ballast not firing up since it is of a different wattage??
Old 07-17-08, 08:31 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^You're correct no problems on the HID Fogs with stock connector only connection for over a year.

I got a set of xenon depot lows that uses the battery harness but has the one light not coming on sometimes problem, and a set of HID fogs that directly connect to the stock connector but have never had a problem and never had a case of one light not coming on.

Funny thing is the kit that uses the battery harness is the one that doesn't fire on sometimes and not the fogs. My fogs are directly connected to the stock connector so you'd think that would have issues but that's not the case. The ballast not firing up on one side of the low beams is a separate issue and probably has to do with the quality of the kit itself since many others on here with the same kit that uses the battery harness get the same problem. This problem also happened before I got HID fogs so it's unrelated.

One HID light not coming on occasionally is a issue I also have on my other car a volvo c30. It's just an aftermarket kit "thing". Sometimes it's just hit or miss. I have someone from this board sending me a capacitor harness to equalize the power to the low beam bulbs. We'll see if that works.

Last edited by ba-b4; 07-17-08 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 12:02 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

For the record, I did do the relay method for my HID fogs. Passenger side relay length was fine but had to extend driver's side to reach battery. Only problem was my 6500k HID kit looks like 4300k (bright white). I still have to give Steve some info on the bulbs to resolve the issue though.