Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

RX 300 HID Lights. How much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 10:08 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled over because one of my lights are blowned. And I need a whole unit on the right side. The dealer said it would over $1,000 and that is crazy. Can I get it for a cheaper price? If anyone can help please do ..
Old 08-29-01, 07:49 PM
RXKen
Driver

Isn't it covered under warranty???
Old 08-29-01, 08:14 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

No, it isn't because it was caused by a collision, and it was my girlfriends fault, she was using my car. It was working till about 3 days ago, but there was so much condensation inside the unit that the lights went dead. And I have $1,000. deductible. That really stinks So the question still stands,"Is there anywhere I can get the HID headlight unit cheaper than $1,000.?.?.?...
Thanks.
Old 08-29-01, 09:15 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I would think that you have to get the ones from the dealer in order to have consistent lighting from the right and left lenses as opposed to an oftermarket HID. Plus, Isn't the motor for the auto-leveling mechanism part of the replacement? You'll need that.
Old 08-30-01, 10:22 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

OUCH, that sucks... For me, my car didn't come with HIDS, so i have 2 options, i'm either going to just get PIAA bulbs, 9006 ones or get some aftermarket HIDS, can anyone help me out?
Old 08-30-01, 11:14 AM
RXKen
Driver

Make the girlfriend pay the $1000 deductible, also you might check and see what your comprehensive deductible is, it is usually less, so maybe the light was damaged by vandals with a baseball bat, not by a collision.

I don't think you'll find good HID's for under 1K, and if they have an autoleveler, the aftermarket ones won't.
Old 08-30-01, 12:38 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Originally posted by spinteews
OUCH, that sucks... For me, my car didn't come with HIDS, so i have 2 options, i'm either going to just get PIAA bulbs, 9006 ones or get some aftermarket HIDS, can anyone help me out?
I would caution you on using these aftermarket xenon bulbs. Not only will they burn out after 4-6 months of use, they can actually burn the wires because they use a high watts (80-100) vs 55W.
Luckly my dealership replaced the wires under the warranty.
Old 08-30-01, 02:48 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys... It looks as though I am going to have to shellout that grand anyways.. Take it easy....
Old 08-30-01, 02:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Spin,
Piaa has a HID lighting kit (real HID's). It runs over $1,000 but you said you wanted bright lights.... Later..
Old 08-30-01, 04:16 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

woah really? where can u get that at or information about it? and will it fit for the rx? ... also the piaas i wanted to get are 9006 and they are about 50-55 watts, but output is 100, would those still last or no?? and i'm not going for those generic kinds, the real PIAAs hehe, either that or if i get info about the HIDS, god my lights aint bright enough LoL...
Old 08-30-01, 09:38 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I meant to post this earlier, but I got kicked offline adn couldn't get back on, then I had to go to class. Anyway...

spinteews, malhokc is right about the aftermarket bulbs. Many of them are HID wannabees that are just regular halogen bulbs that run at a higher wattage - that will cause your wires to burn. If I did an HID conversion with the RX I would just go with the OEM headlight assembly.

There was this web-site I had of a guy with a 2000RX putting the '01 OEM HID's on his RX and it worked fine, but I can't find it. If I do I will post it for you. Someone else on here may have it - It is Jeff's Harrier/RX300 Web site.
Old 08-31-01, 07:15 AM
RXKen
Driver

I concur about the lights, don't do the upped wattage bulbs, you are likely to smoke your wires.

Simple rule of physics, a light bulb CANNOT draw 55w and then put out 100W, otherwise you'd have a better than perpetual motion machine scenario on your hands!

What you can say is that a 55w Halogen bulb will have the appearance of a 100w incandescent bulb because it is more efficient in the conversion of electricity to light, but a 55w bulb will not magically put out more power.

I concur that if you want HID's, go with the factory units and retrofit those. If you can find that post on how to do it and how much it costs let me know, I've thought about it as well. Of course you need the ballast and the rest of the gear to go along with it so it won't be cheap.

I actually get people flashing their brights at me quite a bit when I have the fog lights on thinking that I have my brights on when I don't, so maybe a change isn't really necessary. My other car has Xenon's though and I really like them.
Old 08-31-01, 03:05 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Spin,
The Piaa HID's are like there driving/foglights so they mount on your car. As for the bulbs you definitely have to go with the Piaa's and not some cheap ones because the Piaa's have a decent lifespan and also if you want BRIGHT you have to go with the 100w bulbs. On my last RX I had the the Piaa 100w superwhite bulbs and they fried my wiring. I really wanted to keep the lights so I bought a wiring harness that would be able to support all of the wattage (it worked like a charm). The people who I deal with to get all my accessories have everything you need, even the HID conversions. Oh and everything there is Pretty cheap too. These people are no joke. OK Spin I gotta run... Goodluck...

Here is the link....
Old 09-01-01, 02:12 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

wow sweet link, thanks man, i'm checking out the HID conversion kit, and man it looks sweet... still thinking about it and most likly i might go ahead and purchase the HIDS... will they burn out easily? or are they quite good and reliable?
Old 09-01-01, 12:01 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

I have no clue of the quality of the lights. I never bought those or know anyone who has.

Quick Reply: RX 300 HID Lights. How much?