Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 10:02 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Sylvania Silverstars

WOW. i have a 94 SC and the headlights were getting really weak, so weak i would need to use my high beams everytime there wernt other cars on the road. i just installed these tonight and they are so great, so much improvment. worth the money.
Old 07-09-05, 10:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

True indeed If you will search the Sc forum for "silverstar" you'll also get lot's of info on reliability such as this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=silverstar
Old 07-09-05, 10:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Now search again (that button is awsome! ) and you get this info:

Info Provided by Rich @ http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#001

INTERIOR & EXTERIOR LIGHTING:

This section covers various lighting upgrades from headlamps to tail lights, console to dash lighting, and everything in-between. There is much room for improvement from stock lighting to aftermarket. Many of these mods help refresh the look of your coupe to late-model standards.

Halogen Upgrade: The stock headlights on any given SC are comparably pretty dim. The cheapest effective upgrade is to replace the stock bulbs with higher output bulbs. The best halogen bulbs out there are Sylvania Silverstars. The SC lowbeam uses the 9006/HB4 socket, which is 55 watts. The Lexus 9006 OEM bulbs operate at a mere 51 watts. The simple upgrade is to buy a pair of plug-and-play 55 w 9006/HB4 Sylvania Silverstars. You will see a significant increase in whitness and brightness in the light.

The next upgrade is to complete a 9005 "hack". This entails using a pair of 65 w 9005/HB3 Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. This is a different, but similar bulb socket---which is used in the SC's high beam assembly---but which works safely in the low beam assembly as well. They are priced the same as the 55 w 9006 bulbs, so it is technically a better value to just buy the 9005 version. The main difference between the 9006 and 9005 is 10 watts more power and the 9005 does not have a painted glare cap on the tip of the bulb, which works to reduce output. The two differences together create a visibly brighter output. The only compatibility issue between the two is a pair of fiberglass tabs located inside the bulb's socket. In order to plug a 9005 bulb into a 9006 socket, you must clip, sand, or cut the incompatible tabs. It is very self-explanitory once you see them in person. The mod itself takes no more than two minutes. The halogen Silverstar upgrade works well with the high beam lights as well, only without the option of hacking for a more powerful bulb. Sylvania Silverstars can be found off the shelf at most auto parts stores for around $25/ea.

When handling any halogen light bulb, be sure that you minimize bare-hand contact with the quartz glass. Skin oils left on the bulb can cause premature failure or explosion. It is not recommended that you use any bluish no-named ultra-high wattage ricer bulbs that are commonly false-advertised as "xenon" and "h.i.d". They have a high failure rate and the possibility of heat damage to wiring or explosion inside headlamp.
Old 07-09-05, 10:54 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i did search thank you very much. i need to get my hi beams bulbs replaced also. i am really happy with them.
Old 07-10-05, 01:29 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run them on my es. And love them!
Some pics of them installed. (before my cleared corners)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=clean
Old 07-10-05, 11:25 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to install the silverstars on my car and the difference was only slight. Not worth the $35 I paid for them. But this is only a temporary solution
Old 07-13-05, 07:22 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's almost time for replacement of my high beam/drl on my GS430. They have the brown discoloration on them. that's from being on at 1/2 power as drls all the time, right?

Are 9005ST Silverstar High Performance High beam headlamp what I want, or is there a different 9005 that is better?

thanks
chuck
Old 07-13-05, 08:21 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

its really upto you. i started with oem sylvanias, they did ok. Then i moved to the Super White Silvanias, they were a little brighter slightly yellow. Finally i moved to the Silverstars and they do really well. I was suprised out how well they worked and how much brighter my cutoff on the beam was.
Old 07-13-05, 08:55 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
its really upto you. i started with oem sylvanias, they did ok. Then i moved to the Super White Silvanias, they were a little brighter slightly yellow. Finally i moved to the Silverstars and they do really well. I was suprised out how well they worked and how much brighter my cutoff on the beam was.

do you have the 9005ST in your low beams on the ES? I have an ES too. my stock lights suck.
Old 07-13-05, 08:56 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

nope sylvania silverstars on high and lows. Also make sure your lenses are clear. The foggyness that our es's get on the lenses really cuts down the light output.
Old 07-13-05, 09:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

nope sylvania silverstars on high and lows. Also make sure your lenses are clear. The foggyness that our es's get on the lenses really cuts down the light output.
that's what I meant. I've heard you can put the 9005 Silverstar made for highbeams into the low beam housings(which call for a 9006).

so do you have 9006 Silverstar in lows and 9005 Silverstar in highs, or do you have 9005 Silverstars in both?
Old 07-13-05, 09:12 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

ah! i see what you mean?

But unfortunately i just went with 9006 for lows and 9005 for highs.
Old 07-13-05, 09:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
i did search thank you very much. i need to get my hi beams bulbs replaced also. i am really happy with them.
Don't have a hissy that was called "helpful info".
Old 07-13-05, 09:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

ah! i see what you mean?

But unfortunately i just went with 9006 for lows and 9005 for highs.
your ES, wheels looks nice. I see your sig says 18x7.5, what off set are they
Old 07-14-05, 08:09 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

42 is the offset. Unfortunately my suspension is horrible in the back so the tires hit the inner lining when i hit a bumb. but shortly i'll get the coilovers.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstars