LFA Model (2012)

LFA factory at Motomachi / Toyota City tour report (sorry, no pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 01:18 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback so far. As I mentioned in past threads, I'm a pretty low key guy and I only decided to start posting about my experience with the LFA because Club Lexus members told me how much they would enjoy knowing about those experiences - so I appreciate the feedback in furtherance of my goal.

To begin, two details from my tour that I forgot to mention in the OP: First, there were a few criteria that were set as priorities of LFA engineering. At the top of the list was cornering dynamics. Based on reviews so far (especially in track comparisons to the 458) it's pretty clear the LFA has achieved this. Second on the list was the driving experience in its entirety, which includes not only steering feel but also factors like the sound that the driver hears. Obviously steering feel is quite subjective (Chris Harris for example, despite liking so much about the LFA, didn't think the steering feel was quite Ferrari-like), but reviews on this point have generally been positive (e.g., C+D rating the LFA over the 599 in this category) and obviously the sound has been praised extensively.

Second, there were two benchmark cars for the original design for the LFA. Not surprisingly, they were the McLaren F1 and the Carrera GT. When I asked, Haruhiko Tanahshi declined to comment on whether they obtained a McLaren F1 and Carrera GT and if so, how much track and engineering testing they did on them - in typical Toyota-speak this means that they did so and did extensive testing on both. While obviously the LFA does not surpass these in power-to-weight ratio, according to Tanahashi the LFA far surpasses either of those legendary exotics in chassis rigidity (the testing results comparing the LFA chassis to the others are not even close). This helps explain the exemplary cornering dynamics.

I didn't get a chance to ask, but I'll relay this on. My suspicion is that Lexus would not want to allow manual control of the spoiler because it would risk stability issues during high speed cornering, but who knows.

I will also relay this question on. I think SuperGT makes a lot of sense, especially since SuperGT regulations (as I understand them) require FR vehicles, which may have some bearing on why Lexus decided on FR for the LFA.
Many of us appreciate you posting your experiences, and we appreciate any and all posts in the future .

You are completely correct that cornering dynamics was a very high priority for LFA development, as was the overall driving experience and driving feel. Straight-line performance was a slightly lower priority. Another high priority related to the driving experience was supreme stability even at high speed high-g cornering situations.

You're right, that is typical Toyota-speak . I've heard from more than one source that they extensively examined and tested the McLaren F1 and Carrera GT. AFAIK, the LFA chassis is one of the stiffest out of any production car in existence today.

Manual control of the spoiler would indeed introduce risk in terms of high speed stability, which was one of the development priorities for the LFA. The LFA team wanted the car to have good stability even at top speed.

I think it's almost a guarantee we will see the LFA replace the SC430 in Super GT. The real question is, where else will Toyota race the LFA other than Super GT and the Nurburgring 24 hours race? Le Mans rumors keep floating around; we can only hope if those are true.
Old 01-28-11, 03:13 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not even sure if they plan on racing the LFA this year at the 'Ring. I've been to Gazoo's site and they don't mention it at all. Though it is popular from last year. The chassis rigidity must be pretty stout, clearly it is. Carbon Fiber is some stiff stuff, their F1 team no doubt had help in this department. I wonder if it was one in the same... as in they used they F1 tech for the LFA, and the LFA tech is used for their F1 (carbon fiber tech/loom, etc.)?
Old 01-28-11, 06:22 AM
Turnten
Rookie

Wow, really great post. Lexus Mag also just posted an article about the Motomatchi Plant, and includes a few pictures.

LFA-Takumi
Old 10-04-11, 04:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Gengar,

I have a meeting in Tokyo in November and am hoping to get to Motomachi to see something being built (LFAs if lucky but anything Toyota will do).

Did you fly from Tokyo to Hakodate? If so, I am seeing tickets prices for these flights at over $800. Doe this sound in the ball park to you?
Old 10-04-11, 09:36 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hi Gengar,

I have a meeting in Tokyo in November and am hoping to get to Motomachi to see something being built (LFAs if lucky but anything Toyota will do).

Did you fly from Tokyo to Hakodate? If so, I am seeing tickets prices for these flights at over $800. Doe this sound in the ball park to you?
The Motomachi plant is actually at Toyota City in Nagoya, not any of the districts or geographical areas named Motomachi... so please go to Nagoya and not Hakodate.

I actually flew to Nagoya from Narita, but only because it was the first thing I did after arriving in Japan, so I connected straight from my NRT-bound international flight to the Nagoya flight. Flying from NRT is not efficient if already in Tokyo due to the excessive transit time from NRT into the city. Also, I burned some leftover AA miles (I don't fly them anymore) on JAL via OneWorld so I don't even know how much the plane tickets go for. I can't imagine more than a few hundred though - it's a short flight.

If I were already in Tokyo, the options would be flying from Haneda or taking the shinkansen (bullet train). I'd probably just take the train. I looked into this as an option and either the Nozomi or Hikari trains take less than two hours to Nagoya. The Nozomi is a little faster because it makes fewer stops. If you are getting a Japan Rail Pass, note the Hikari is covered but the Nozomi is not. Another advantage of the shinkansen is that it leaves from Tokyo Main Station and arrives at the main station at Nagoya; these are both very centrally located. To get to/from Haneda or Nagoya airport, you'd have to take additional trains.

Last edited by gengar; 10-04-11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 04:19 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Thanks for setting me straight Gengar,

The bullet train is something I want to experience so that looks like the way to go.
Old 10-15-11, 05:06 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I was able to schedule a regular Toyota plant tour for November 4th via the online system.

I also asked my Lexus contact is an LFA works tour was possible. He replied that those tours are only for owners, so no deal.

Hopefully they have one in the museum, which is part of the regular tour.
Old 10-16-11, 01:59 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Great story!! Maybe one day I can experience something as amazing as that tour! Thanks for sharing your experience!