LFA Model (2012)

2nd Gen LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sure i would love to read about that don't think i saw it before, could be i missed it

but that doesn't change what i said about the US market
Old 10-14-10, 02:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yeah, I hope you know I am talking about (gr350 something something LOL). He still might have the break-down of all the allocations in different provinces in Canada.

I remember he said 3 for Alberta (my province).

Originally Posted by rominl
sure i would love to read about that don't think i saw it before, could be i missed it

but that doesn't change what i said about the US market
Old 10-14-10, 02:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, I hope you know I am talking about (gr350 something something LOL). He still might have the break-down of all the allocations in different provinces in Canada.

I remember he said 3 for Alberta (my province).
yup yup, i remember him. he's on here from time to time, definitely looking forward to those info. i am just very interested in the lfa sales
Old 10-14-10, 05:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope no second gen. LFA is ever produce. I truly hope it never reaches mass production.
Old 10-14-10, 06:56 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would rather buy a lambo... lol
Old 10-21-10, 01:50 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

If there was a Mass Production of LFA, lets say instead of 500 being made, there was 5,000 made. Would it still cost the same, or will the price be much less?

Why didn't Lexus just make more and at a cheaper price? Wouldn't they have been able to make a profit like that?
Old 10-21-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Incredible
If there was a Mass Production of LFA, lets say instead of 500 being made, there was 5,000 made. Would it still cost the same, or will the price be much less?

Why didn't Lexus just make more and at a cheaper price? Wouldn't they have been able to make a profit like that?
i can't say for sure, but given that at 375k they are still losing money per car, i am not sure if making 5000 would help. it will have to be a lot more to avg out the cost imho, but at that point i don't think there are close to be enough buyers
Old 10-21-10, 01:09 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^I'm sure there will be much more buyers if the price was dropped significantly.

When I first heard of the LFA, I was expecting a starting price between $125k-$150k, but that price tag is huge.

If the LFA went into mass production, and if the price was dropped, why wouldn't there be enough buyers?

I'm sure they would sell out a lot more. I think the reason to why there aren't enough buyers, could be that no one really thought toyota could make a supercar. But once people see what it can do, I'm sure many more people will buy the car.
Old 10-21-10, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

^I'm sure there will be much more buyers if the price was dropped significantly.

When I first heard of the LFA, I was expecting a starting price between $125k-$150k, but that price tag is huge.

If the LFA went into mass production, and if the price was dropped, why wouldn't there be enough buyers?

I'm sure they would sell out a lot more. I think the reason to why there aren't enough buyers, could be that no one really thought toyota could make a supercar. But once people see what it can do, I'm sure many more people will buy the car.
that's my point. first of all, if at 375k they are still losing money (lexus claims), then making it more i don't see the price coming down to 120k (1/3 of their current price). i don't see that being that plausible.

if they can make 5000 and price it at 250k (that's pretty generous estimation i think), will lexus be able to find 5000 owners? keep in mind, with lexus selection process, they can't get 500 buyers. i wonder how many cars over 250k are sold annually

there are words that lexus is working on the lc which will likely be around your price range, maybe that will be the car for that market. but the lfa? i am not sure if it will ever reach that
Old 10-21-10, 02:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. $120K is ridiculously low for a car with so much to it plus everything exclusively built for it from ground up with nothing from the recycling bin. You have to pay to play and LFA overall offers much more than any $120K car offers.

Even R8 V10, GT3 RS, Turbo S are $180 - $200K territory and LFA is hands down much superior to these cars especially considering they are based off mass produced models.

At any rate, the remaining allocations should be shifted out of US and sold in other markets since there are lots of prospective buyers who were not able to get the LFA in other markets.

Originally Posted by rominl
that's my point. first of all, if at 375k they are still losing money (lexus claims), then making it more i don't see the price coming down to 120k (1/3 of their current price). i don't see that being that plausible.

if they can make 5000 and price it at 250k (that's pretty generous estimation i think), will lexus be able to find 5000 owners? keep in mind, with lexus selection process, they can't get 500 buyers. i wonder how many cars over 250k are sold annually

there are words that lexus is working on the lc which will likely be around your price range, maybe that will be the car for that market. but the lfa? i am not sure if it will ever reach that

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-21-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 06:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
At any rate, the remaining allocations should be shifted out of US and sold in other markets since there are lots of prospective buyers who were not able to get the LFA in other markets.
i agree, keeping them in the US won't help anything. tough on lexus

but at the same time, i think they want more cars in the US coz' after all, this is a sweet market they want to capture
Old 10-21-10, 08:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by allturbo
to $$$$$$ ... if your going Japanese might as well get a new GTR for a fraction of the price
Because LFA is in a different league as far as handling dynamics, agility, nimbleness, excitement, engineering innovations and lightweight technology, exhilaration and luxury.

Oh yeah, it is stupid fast in a straight line as well.
Old 10-21-10, 08:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

to $$$$$$ ... if your going Japanese might as well get a new GTR for a fraction of the price
Because LFA is in a different league as far as handling dynamics, V10 sound, agility, nimbleness, excitement, engineering innovations, exhilaration and luxury.

Let a GTR tuning shop owner answer your question:

Today, we had the rare opportunity to be the first performance shop in the country to get their hands on the new Lexus LFA. One of our local clients is a huge car buff, and was the first person in the country to put a deposit down on his very own LFA. Although his custom prepared LFA won't arrive until Jan, a representative from Lexus corporate was charged with introducing a demonstration car to each buyer and allowing them to drive it for a half day. This yellow LFA is the East Coast demo car, and there is only one other in the country out on the West coast.

This particular client not only has done business with us in the past, but is also a good personal friend. So when he called me at 12:30pm and said he'd be at my shop in 20 mins with the LFA I was ecstatic! When the car rolled up, it brought our shop to a complete standstill...

Much like the GT-R, the LFA looks infinitely better in person. The body line is similar in many ways to the GT-R but with a more compact form factor and a tall broad shoulder line. It's physically a much smaller car. I took about 20 mins simply to take the car in and examine all of it's lines closely. This is a precision designed car with aggressive and sharp body lines along with some magnificent technology underneath the skin. From the carefully placed air inlets to the sturdy support structures for the active wing, it's all very well thought out and designed. The interior of the car is all business. Carbon fiber racing steering wheel, seats wrapped in alcantera and all gauges and controls well placed.

After my viewing it was time to give the LFA a well deserved test drive. After a 2 minute orientation by the nice lady from Lexus, I grabbed the paddles and set the transmission to "SPORT" mode. After making a right turn out of the parking lot I wasted no time in doing a quick 1,2,3 to 9000rpm down Cobb Parkway buzzing past a half dozen car dealerships in the process. One word: MAGIC! The exhaust note is by far the best sounding I have ever heard. It's a sharp Formula 1 inspired note, with very little bass or drone. The gearbox shifts were very sharp in SPORT mode but had that slight delay between power application that I've experience before in the gearbox from Ferrari and Lamborghini, and Audi. It's a shame the gear changes aren't instantaneous like our GT-R's, as it would have made this amazing machine that much better.

I kept heading southbound on Cobb Parkway on my way to my favorite "test track" also known as Delk Road by the Air Base. Noticing that my passenger was a little agitated with my 105mph blast down Cobb Parkway. I assured the Lexus representative that I was a licensed race car driver and I knew what I was doing. She seemed relieved and started to relax a little bit. She mentioned that nobody has taken this car above 4500rpm yet...oops...and she was really impressed with how fast the car was. Fortunately, she was unnerved and gave me full rein to drive the car as hard as I wanted to. One favorite section of my "track" is a nice right hand ramp with two sharp right hand turns inter-spaced with two short straights. I dropped the LFA down to 2nd gear and dove in. Body roll is nearly flat, and the brakes are tremendous. With my foot on the floor we rocketed out of the last right hander and enjoyed the music coming from the engine....another 2, 3, and part of 4 and we are 120mph in a heartbeat.

Overall, the OEM handling of the car is the best I have ever experienced. Flat and firm suspension manners and razor sharp steering make this one really fun car to drive fast. The power delivery is extremely linear with loads of power from 2500rpm all the way to the 9000rpm shift point I chose. No turbos, no turbo lag, just loads of power everywhere. It's a very different car from the GT-R; the LFA has a more purist feel to it despite it's high end hardware and technology behind it. Once our client takes delivery of his own LFA, you better believe we'll have it on the dyno, and tested right away. Maybe even a few "track" comparo's as well....perhaps some twin turbos?! Stay tuned!

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-21-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 09:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So you were expecting an exotic supercar that's faster and more exclusive than a Porsche Carrera GT to be priced at 125-150K?

Maybe your expectations were off?

Using that logic, why not just get a WRX STi Spec-C or an Evo X FQ-400?

Or a Corvette Z06 for that matter? A Z06 performs close to a GT-R, and costs less too.
Old 10-21-10, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok, please, don't make this into another gtr vs lfa. let's stick to topic. if you want that talk, do that in the car chat lfa thread

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen LFA?