LFA Model (2012)

This months Motor Trend. Wantanabe wants the LF-A built

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 01:36 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
"I would personally love to see LF-A make it into production but then it will make no difference for me since i have no funds to buy that super car

but i would much rather see SUPRA or some affordable sports car coming back."

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Yeah, but was the Supra ever really affordable? If I'm not mistaken, the turbo models were selling for as much as their Lexus SC counterparts towards the end of production. Not something your average family man or young adult could afford as an impractical fun car.
Probably why he used the word 'or'. Yeah, Supras we selling for ~$50k in '96, but they did manage to lop off about 10 grand for the '97-'98 models. Still a lot of money back then. But knowing then what we know now about the car's capabilities, they would have sold them all and then some at those prices, especially with a Lexus badge on it. I think Toyota did a poor job of marketing/bragging about it, and that kept a lot of potential buyers in the dark.

Last edited by Initial B; 02-14-06 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 03:40 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
Originally Posted by STIG
"I would personally love to see LF-A make it into production but then it will make no difference for me since i have no funds to buy that super car

but i would much rather see SUPRA or some affordable sports car coming back."

Probably why he used the word 'or'.
Ah. I read that as a Supra being an example of an affordable sports car.

I wasn't really 'around' back in the Supra's hay day, so I can't attest to the marketing. At that point in time, I was too busy rocking my big wheel.
Old 02-14-06, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's true, i don't doubt a single bit about toyota's ability to build a super car that will hang with exotic. they can, but they just don't, for profitability reasons.

hopefully with the ever so increasing growth they have now, they can sustain the little hit and build one super car to include that little crowd. that would be great. and most of all, definitely a division to push out high performance "versions" of their lineup just like what bimmer and mb are doing. that's going to be big imho
it will definetly help the brand image. Europeans love this stuff.... People buy 520i because M5 is so cool.
I almost waved today when I passed brand new 520i in my Prius.
Old 02-14-06, 04:37 PM
LexFather

The original supra was top toyota tech. New engine (2JZ) new platform, new everything, nothing shared pretty much.

Also, the yen went down compared to the U.S dollar and SUVs started taking off and people were just dumping sports cars left and right.

Its different today, Toyota has tons of money to spend, they will share parts with the Supra and the yen is trading okay to the dollar. Also Toyota pretty much HAS to come out wiht something soon, as Honda and Nissan shame them with sporty offerings
Old 02-14-06, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it will definetly help the brand image. Europeans love this stuff.... People buy 520i because M5 is so cool.
I almost waved today when I passed brand new 520i in my Prius.
very good point there!!! image is everything in europe
Old 02-14-06, 10:43 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i couldn't find this article in MT...where is it?
Old 02-15-06, 06:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
i couldn't find this article in MT...where is it?
I dunno if its online but in the mag, its in the beginning of the mag.
Old 02-15-06, 09:00 AM
Mattress
Pole Position

ok, you know the issue most have with the front of the LF-A, well i read an article saying they had top designers working on redesigning the front for a more aggressive look... and right after that, i saw spy photos which to me, look like they already have made some improvments to the nose... ill try to find those pics again...
Old 02-15-06, 09:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattress
ok, you know the issue most have with the front of the LF-A, well i read an article saying they had top designers working on redesigning the front for a more aggressive look... and right after that, i saw spy photos which to me, look like they already have made some improvments to the nose... ill try to find those pics again...
I hope you're right, that ugly nose is the part that turn me off the most on this car . . .
Old 02-15-06, 10:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a little wheel swap/tint change that I did last week and the car doesn't look so bad. A Sportier front end and a more production-esque rear could have this car looking great!
Old 02-15-06, 10:34 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

There's obviously a reason why they discontinued the supra which killed their sports car category. They have something much better in mind
Old 02-15-06, 10:53 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

That's a little wheel swap/tint change that I did last week and the car doesn't look so bad. A Sportier front end and a more production-esque rear could have this car looking great!
^ I would actually buy that.

Anyways, forget a "new" Supra, it ain't happening. I can't help but think everybody who wants a new Supra to be built are still riding on the massive Supra bandwagon. I can't believe I'm even talking about this-so I'll stop.

Anyways, time to research into the LF-A.