Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lexus plans for huge expansion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 10:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lexus plans for huge expansion

Lexus, Toyota’s prestige brand, is planning a rival to the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series as part of a major expansion plan. At this stage, the baby Lexus is more an intention than a reality — being at least five years away — but given Toyota’s record there’s a very strong chance that such a model will see the showroom.

Expect a classy, refined hatchback in the mould of the new IS (right) — though it’s not yet clear whether it will be front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive like the rest of the range.

In the nearer future, Lexus is also planning an estate version of the new IS and, in two to three years’ time, diesel engines for the GS, RX and LS. From next April the new IS will be available with the company’s first diesel, a 2.2-litre four-cylinder unit with 174bhp, and Lexus is planning hybrid versions of all its cars except the IS. The next LS will be more dynamic, both to look at and to drive, in keeping with the marque’s new design strategy.

All these developments are part of Toyota’s ambitious plans to launch Lexus as a prestige brand across the globe. Though Lexus has had considerable success in the US since the 1989 launch of the LS400, sales in Europe have never been strong and the brand is completely unknown in Japan. European sales are forecast to more than double from 25,000 in 2004 to 65,000 in 2010, over half of these expected in the UK.

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/News_...p?NA_ID=214571

Lexus is also about to launch in Japan — the cars have previously been sold there as Toyotas — with the simultaneous opening of 180 dealers this August.
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Nice little photochop I found. What do you think about Lexus battling the likes of the A3 and 1 series?? I think its key for Europe, but they should wait and see how these models do here before bringing in smething like this.

Old 04-21-05, 12:54 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love Lexus, I really don't think they should go further downmarket. Just because BMW and Audi are doesn't mean they should. Luxury SUVs are one thing but luxury compacts...naw I say let the other 2 companies have their share in that segment and stick to what you do best and kick their butts everywhere else across the board. I also worry about a 4 cylinder.

James
Old 04-21-05, 06:35 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

If Lexus plans a hatchback it will sell well in Europe, Asia & Canada......it will not do well at all in the U.S. I'm afraid. But they can put a dent in the sales of MB & BMW so I think it's a good business decision actually.
Old 04-21-05, 06:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

I don't think any Lexus model below the IS is a good idea for Lexus, that's what the Toyota brand is for. Lexus should concentate on expanding it's current models' lineup by offering more coupe/convertible/engine variations based on the existing Lexus platforms, & further upmarket, & leave the economic cars for the Toyota brand IMHO.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-21-05 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-21-05, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
. From next April the new IS will be available with the company’s first diesel, a 2.2-litre four-cylinder unit with 174bhp, .
I already started an entire new thread on this very subject yesterday.
Old 04-21-05, 07:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I already started an entire new thread on this very subject yesterday.

Just answered. I like how it says in April. I thought the diesel was going on sale at the same time as the rest of the lineup this Fall??
Old 04-21-05, 08:08 AM
LexFather

That photoshop is some work someone on another forum did. Its very nice but nothing at all from Lexus.

Well, in Europe, I can see the need for a small 1/A3 fighter, but not here in the states. That would be a major in my book.

Good thread
Old 04-21-05, 10:25 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
Lexus is planning hybrid versions of all its cars except the IS.
There you have it...more proof for the possibility of the IS500 for you naysayers!!

As I said, Lexus had a hard enough time finding barely enough room for batteries in the RX400h and GS450h. Chances are they'll just give up cramming the same amount of batteries in the even tighter IS and opt for the conventional recipe of making a muscle car out of it.
Old 04-21-05, 10:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
There you have it...more proof for the possibility of the IS500 for you naysayers!!
Whether there'll be IS hybrid or IS500, It's ALL speculations at this point
Old 04-21-05, 10:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

There's no credibility to this. It's all hype. Even my official sources say it's hype. You're getting excited over speculation at this point.
Old 04-21-05, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
There's no credibility to this. It's all hype. Even my official sources say it's hype. You're getting excited over speculation at this point.
Sure they're all speculations, but logical ones at that.

I say they're logical because ALL signs and clues so far are pointing in the same direction, nothing even conflicting.
1. Lexus has stated they are seriously considering a performance division for their lineup.
2. Lexus has announced no plan for a hybrid IS so far.
3. Space is tight in the GS and RX and Lexus had a hard time finding enough room for batteries in them. Space is even tighter in the IS.
4. A camo'd IS with hood vents and fender flares was seen testing in Nurburgring AFTER the IS350 was officially introduced.
5. Lexus has clearly stated they want the new IS to go head-to-head with the 3-Series. This means that whatever BMW does to the 3-Series, Lexus will try to make the new IS either top it or match it. This of course includes the performance version of the 3-Series, which is now receiving a 400hp V8.

You may not like speculations. But to me, as long as they're educated guesses that do not conflict with any of the existing facts, I say bring them on... They ARE entirely possible and are looking more and more real with every sign and clue we're getting each passing day.
Old 04-21-05, 12:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You may not like speculations. But to me, as long as they're educated guesses that do not conflict with any of the existing facts, I say bring them on... They ARE entirely possible and are looking more and more real with every sign and clue we're getting each passing day.
Educated guesses or not, they're not credible. Sure they are possible but it's not confirmed, and so far the sources they have come from are poor sources of information. I don't have to tell you that as many have echoed the same sentiments already.
Old 04-21-05, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Sure they're all speculations, but logical ones at that.

I say they're logical because ALL signs and clues so far are pointing in the same direction, nothing even conflicting.
1. Lexus has stated they are seriously considering a performance division for their lineup.
2. Lexus has announced no plan for a hybrid IS so far.
3. Space is tight in the GS and RX and Lexus had a hard time finding enough room for batteries in them. Space is even tighter in the IS.
4. A camo'd IS with hood vents and fender flares was seen testing in Nurburgring AFTER the IS350 was officially introduced.
5. Lexus has clearly stated they want the new IS to go head-to-head with the 3-Series. This means that whatever BMW does to the 3-Series, Lexus will try to make the new IS either top it or match it. This of course includes the performance version of the 3-Series, which is now receiving a 400hp V8.
1) Yes we've disucssed that in the past.
2) Agreed
3) Agreed
4) Okay where's proof that these camoflauged IS photos were taken after the actual world release of the new IS? We've already confirmed the camoflauged IS' that are roaming around here in SoCal that were taken just a few days ago. Those photos were posted up in a thread just recently. The fender flares you see are exaggerated to hide the lines of the actual IS. As you can see, the car is taped up in black. Those exaggerated lines and that hood vent is there to throw the media off. Otherwise you would see that car unmasked without those exaggerated lines or faux taillights and markings.
5) Again I agree. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-21-05, 12:22 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That photoshop is some work someone on another forum did. Its very nice but nothing at all from Lexus.

Well, in Europe, I can see the need for a small 1/A3 fighter, but not here in the states. That would be a major in my book.

Good thread
To be honest, I am not 100% sure it is even a good idea over here.

Quick Reply: Lexus plans for huge expansion