Sponsored by:

Jap-spec GPS-enabled headunit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 03:32 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Emerald
I've seen that unit before (online) It's a Toyota OEM but Im not sure who manufactures it for them. it has DVD as well

Was kinda on the expensive side tho from what I remember.

I'm sure you can get the screen to work on the other one...but then again, thats a lot of work/trouble for a 5inch screen
Em, can you manufacture something like that for the SC's?
Hit me up via pm or here or email. I really want to know
THank you!
Old 06-05-03, 03:58 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen that unit before (online) It's a Toyota OEM but Im not sure who manufactures it for them. it has DVD as well

Was kinda on the expensive side tho from what I remember.

I'm sure you can get the screen to work on the other one...but then again, thats a lot of work/trouble for a 5inch screen
No doubt it's a Toyota OEM. So what is the price and how can one get it?

I'm not after the LCD itself (like many others I'm sure) as much as the headunit that looks stock and has a build-in radio, cd changer control, and other stuff current OEM is capable of.

In addition it has a GPS. I have no doubt you could make that GPS work in US. Steal one of the map DVDs and make them work with this unit (I have enough computer/hardware/engineering skills).

PS. I love you Emerald... nah, just kidding .

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 06-05-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 04:21 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If only someone brought this subject up a couple of months ago... I was literally giving my old HU away, which was basically the same as that HU without the DVD function, but still had CD, cassette, tuner, TV and GPS. About the brand of the HU, from memory I think it's made by Fujitsu Ten for Toyota.
Old 06-05-03, 04:34 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
No doubt it's a Toyota OEM. So what is the price and how can one get it?

I'm not after the LCD itself (like many others I'm sure) as much as the headunit that looks stock and has a build-in radio, cd changer control, and other stuff current OEM is capable of.

In addition it has a GPS. I have no doubt you could make that GPS work in US. Steal one of the map DVDs and make them work with this unit (I have enough computer/hardware/engineering skills).

PS. I love you Emerald... nah, just kidding .

Chris
Emerald luvs yoo too

Well, There are actually 3 units.some were options on the Soarer. That older ones shown in the Soarer and the newer ones in the bigger JDM Toyotas. From what I remember they (newer ones) were about 3000.00 us (Im not 100% on the price...but it is OEM )

I dont recall all of the specs. but I do have a large, clear picture of it...I'll find it on my laptop later tonight for ya.

Matsu****a (Panasonic) and Fujitsu ten makes them
Old 06-05-03, 04:40 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by legendary
Em, can you manufacture something like that for the SC's?
Hit me up via pm or here or email. I really want to know
THank you!
Yeah, but theres a serious lack of time around here lately.

Been backed up since late April with no 'daylight' in sight as far as R&D stuff goes...too many things going on at once

E-mail me
Old 06-05-03, 08:34 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Yes, but I am not refering to the one you're talking about.... you're talking about the big one that also controls your air conditioning, right? Well, in the magazine I have it fits the double din headunit.

Now, what are you talking about with the surround piece? Pictures?

Chris

I am talking about the only screen that comes in a Soarer that fits the description "Jap-spec GPS-enabled headunit". There is only one 5 inch screen available that has GPS and it is the EMV. Yes, it has all the AC controls etc. My point is, don't buy this thing just for the screen. It will be hell to get working and $ for nothing.

www.importscene.com.au

No real pictures, but it shows he has them. I know a guy who bought one of the non-emv surrounds in wood and he liked it.
Old 06-05-03, 08:36 PM
DIrEctQL

Emerald luvs yoo too

Well, There are actually 3 units.some were options on the Soarer. That older ones shown in the Soarer and the newer ones in the bigger JDM Toyotas. From what I remember they (newer ones) were about 3000.00 us (Im not 100% on the price...but it is OEM )

I dont recall all of the specs. but I do have a large, clear picture of it...I'll find it on my laptop later tonight for ya.

Matsu****a (Panasonic) and Fujitsu ten makes them
3k seems kind of expencive but if I can get the part number I will have a buddy of mine check to see if he can order it from Japan.

Emerald, if you can get me the part number I would really love you .

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 06-05-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 08:44 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Chris [/B]

A lot of people in Australia have tried to make the GPS work here. Steve C made a bit of his own map. Unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to translate a eg VDO DVD into a Toyota CD. Apparently the Toyota is vector and the others are all raster now. You could spend a lifetime trying to get this to work, and still end up with something inferior to what you can buy for less money locally. In addition, much of the EMV just refuses to work when it's not hooked up to a Soarer. It knows. Then all the menus are still in Japanese. Some very smart people down here have been trying to change that for ages, but all of the chips on the boards are custom and noone has yet figured out how to mess with them.

Be my guest to have a shot... if you get it all working and in English, I will personally fly over there and give you 10 grand. Take my word for it. Get the OEM looking surround, and find an aftermarket GPS/TV that fits. It will be easier, cheaper and will actually work.
Old 06-09-03, 04:45 PM
Dominik
Driver

Fred, the unit he is talking about is the one that was fitted to *some* later model TTs and NA3.0L Soarers. It is a double DIN unit that has TV/DVD (or justCD) and Navigation. The A/C units are on top just like normal TTs and non-EMV Soarers. It also uses a *different* navigation system to the ones that we have in our UZZ31 EMVs. From what i have seen, it does not use vector format - it uses raster like all other Navi systems

It was a Toyota option, and believe it or not, it was very similar (almost identical) to the ones that Toyota dealers are now offering as options on the Camry and Corolla. As an option on a new car i have heard that they are around AUD$2-3000, but someone said he could get them brand new for $2000 from Toyota a while back on the Aussie forums (no idea where that was though...)

For the US guys, the jap-spec ones would be ok, because they use the same TV system (NTSC), but the japanese text and prompts would really begin to bug you after a while.

Why not just hit up Toyota USA for one of the Camry/Corolla DVD navigation units?

Last edited by Dominik; 06-09-03 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-09-03, 05:32 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Just the head unit is over $2000 and then you have to buy the cpu and the updated GPS that goes with it. Thats about $3500 total.

I think dont think its worth it costs to much.

A used one might be a better price....... but they are hard to come by. I have been looking in used car parts magazines and I have found nothing in the last 8 months.
Old 06-09-03, 07:03 PM
DIrEctQL

Does anyone have a picture of the one on Camry? Obviously I want something that looks stock. Otherwise I would go for something aftermarket.

Chris
Old 12-14-03, 10:36 PM
DIrEctQL

Does anyone have a picture of the one on Camry? Obviously I want something that looks stock. Otherwise I would go for something aftermarket.

Chris
I had a chance to check out the camry one and it might fit. In the next few days I will try to measure one from my friend's car and see if it would fit.

Chris
Old 12-14-03, 11:02 PM
JDMJim
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The interior is a long way off for me, but when I get to building the interior I'll have one available.

Jimmy
Old 12-14-03, 11:16 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

this thread is back from the dead! i was very interested in this project but, the cost and availability in parts killed the project...(went aftermarket)but, good luck!!
Old 12-15-03, 03:33 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

lol, got the pics but can't upload

Last edited by Manny; 12-15-03 at 03:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Jap-spec GPS-enabled headunit