ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics-12/)
-   -   Jap-spec GPS-enabled headunit (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/85540-jap-spec-gps-enabled-headunit.html)

DIrEctQL 06-03-03 10:21 PM

Jap-spec GPS enabled headunit

Does anyone know how I could get a hold of one? If so... how much? I understand GPS wouldn't work and the maps for US aren't available. I also understand you can use the re-use the LCD. While the LCD is my primary interest I am curious wether it would work in a US-spec SC300.

Chris

PS. What else does it do? Hopefully it's a stereo too.

nextlevelcoupe 06-03-03 10:26 PM

this is off the subject but,is your dash white? and if so,did you install led's or change the bulbs?

awj 06-03-03 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wondering the same thing. If it could be installed on usdm models then I'd be very interested - here is the aussie version with dvd -

Overclocker 06-04-03 05:35 PM

From what I've read the features and connectors are all different.

If you still want one Chris, you'll need to go to the pigpond site and get one from a Brit or an Aussy.

Overclocker

One HoT 06-04-03 07:45 PM

I'm interested as well....it would be a excellent project for anyone who is willing and have the funds..

DIrEctQL 06-04-03 09:17 PM

Originally posted by awj
I've been wondering the same thing. If it could be installed on usdm models then I'd be very interested - here is the aussie version with dvd -
That's not the one I was talking about. I saw this one in HyperRev magazine. The A/C controls are the same as ours but the double din headunit is one big LCD. Look like it's stock too.

I like this one too however.

Chris

DIrEctQL 06-04-03 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Overclocker
From what I've read the features and connectors are all different.

If you still want one Chris, you'll need to go to the pigpond site and get one from a Brit or an Aussy.

Overclocker

pigpond? Can you get us a price? I have a feeling there is two differet types floating around.

Chris

DIrEctQL 06-04-03 09:22 PM

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
this is off the subject but,is your dash white? and if so,did you install led's or change the bulbs?
White? I don't know about that but it's 100% stock.

awj 06-04-03 09:25 PM

Chris,

I'd like to see an image of the version you are referring to as it sound like it may be more ideal. Can you locate one?

DIrEctQL 06-04-03 09:45 PM

Originally posted by awj
Chris,

I'd like to see an image of the version you are referring to as it sound like it may be more ideal. Can you locate one?

Yes... but I don't have a scanner and it's late. I'll figure out how to post it tomorow so check back.

Chris

legendary 06-05-03 03:33 AM

I too am very interested in this. Any information would be awesome, that way I don't have to go full custom. I wanted to achieve an overall OEM look, no matter what. I do not want it to look like I added anything to my interior

Fred Smith 06-05-03 12:04 PM

Good Lord NO!

Trust me, that thing is connected to half the systems in the car, and without those connections, odds are it wouldn't even work. All the menus are in Japanese and wouldn't work worth a cent anyway. No no no. In the end all you would use it for would be a monitor, as there is one NTSC input. That thing is full of circuit boards and stuff to do the menus and car control stuff. You would end up having to butcher and hack, then still mess with the menus and buttons just to get the NTSC input displayed.

A far better and cheaper option would be to buy the surround piece from one of the retailers in Australia (Gregg Holden's shop in Western Australia is one I know of, and recommend as he was the President of the WA Soarer Club). I believe he sells them for well under 100 USD. Then go find a screen of approximately the same dimensions. You should be able to find some buttons somewhere to fill the buttonholes down the side. Stock look, and easy functionality, at a budget price.

The EMV goes for big $ down here anyway, and you will probably not get it working. Hell, I am having enough trouble getting mine to work in a car that it came in from the factory!!!

DIrEctQL 06-05-03 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Good Lord NO!

Trust me, that thing is connected to half the systems in the car, and without those connections, odds are it wouldn't even work. All the menus are in Japanese and wouldn't work worth a cent anyway. No no no. In the end all you would use it for would be a monitor, as there is one NTSC input. That thing is full of circuit boards and stuff to do the menus and car control stuff. You would end up having to butcher and hack, then still mess with the menus and buttons just to get the NTSC input displayed.

A far better and cheaper option would be to buy the surround piece from one of the retailers in Australia (Gregg Holden's shop in Western Australia is one I know of, and recommend as he was the President of the WA Soarer Club). I believe he sells them for well under 100 USD. Then go find a screen of approximately the same dimensions. You should be able to find some buttons somewhere to fill the buttonholes down the side. Stock look, and easy functionality, at a budget price.

The EMV goes for big $ down here anyway, and you will probably not get it working. Hell, I am having enough trouble getting mine to work in a car that it came in from the factory!!!

Yes, but I am not refering to the one you're talking about.... you're talking about the big one that also controls your air conditioning, right? Well, in the magazine I have it fits the double din headunit.

Now, what are you talking about with the surround piece? Pictures?

Chris

DIrEctQL 06-05-03 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go guys, here is a nice blury picture from the magazine of the LCD in our cars that I saw:

DriftGirl 06-05-03 03:27 PM

I've seen that unit before (online) It's a Toyota OEM but Im not sure who manufactures it for them. it has DVD as well :)

Was kinda on the expensive side tho from what I remember.

I'm sure you can get the screen to work on the other one...but then again, thats a lot of work/trouble for a 5inch screen:(