Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 09:31 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing Sirius...

First, Happy New year to all.

My situation,
​​​Purchased a 2006 ls430 online. Great ride in all ways.

The previous owner had a Sirius aftermarket Onyx installed. The Sirius head end protrudes from the right side of the CD door affecting its use and also interferes with the glove box depending on how the angled bracket is flexed. In addition, the magnetic antenna scratched the roof (fixed to acceptable level with rubbing compound). I'll rant about hood magnets on another day.

I have the dash removal tools coming this week. The plastic kind. I have watched the Mark Levinson removal video for a grom install, and am ready to attack the removal.

My question is this.
Since the Sirius head end uses a 5v transformer and appears to be an fm modulator type (another day for those as well), what might I be looking at to remove the unit completely?

A sidebar: the other owner had also at one time installed a "kicker" sub. I found the 4 Guage wires in the trunk. I might pull them to use on my golf cart😉. I removed the kicker fuse box they screwed onto the fuse box next to the battery. I'm pretty sure I will find either hardwired or rca plugs grafted onto the head end of the on board stereo. Whomever did the work appears to have not bolixed up the job of removal of the, imo, unnecessary sub, save for not removing any traces of it (wires) . The Levinson system works extremely well and all speakers requiring it appear to have been refoamed. (I've done the refoams on a multitude of higher end drivers for home theaters... Time consuming but easy.)

If you have seen or have had this mod done to your ls, I'd appreciate knowing what that might look like on the back of the stereo as well.

The reason is, if it is going to require desoldering connections, I will most likely just remove the aftermarket bracket then snip/tape/secure the wires without actually removing the head end.

​​​​​​​Advice welcomed!
Thanks all!
Doug k
Old 01-01-17, 12:48 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

If it's an FM transmitter as you say, then there will only be a power, ground and antenna wire. Otherwise it will be plugged into a box that is plugged into the head unit. You cannot solder and add XM to a head-unit that is not set up for it. It should be really easy to remove completely.
The following users liked this post:
ltd76gold (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 02:42 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the information. My concern will now just be to carefully remove the necessary stuff.

I am going to try an "ION Bluetooth" Cassette for piping the phones mp3 s, etc. to the Levinson system. 20 bucks... I don't expect much.

The cd's sound awfully sweet.

I do so dislike cables running to and fro.

Again, thanks for the help!

​​​​​​​Doug k