Sponsored by:

Nakamichi VS NON Nakamichi

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 12:14 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nakamichi VS NON Nakamichi

I have a 92 SC300 with a NON-Nakamichi system in it.... I did a search but I could not find what I was looking for, I could have over looked it tho, and if I did I am VERY SORRY............. But I was trying to see if you have a NON-Nakamichi system if you can get a Nakamichi radio and just swap them out?? Other then the radio (head unit) is there anything else diff about the systems?? I am looking to change out the speakers (4 corners, tweeters, sub) and I wanted to keep my factory head unit but I was wondering if it would be worth wield to upgrade the head unit or to just stay with the NON Nakamichi...........

Thanx all..........
Shawn
Old 03-20-03, 12:44 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wiring for the Nakamichi vs Non-Nakamichi is totally different. Nakamichi amps are overwhelmingly larger than the Pioneer Unit. You might need new wiring and plugs.

You will need a new Nakamichi Amp, Headunit and speakers. (sub, tweets, mids and rear)

(correct me if im wrong; im not 100% certain)
Old 03-20-03, 12:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

no nak = no nak.

no nak speakers, no nak amp, no nak head unit, no nak wiring harness. stick with what you got.
Old 03-20-03, 01:02 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default What is best......

If I was looking to keep my factory unit and looking to change out the 4 corners and the tweeters and the Sub, would I have any problems just swaping them out ?? or would I need anything special, also would notice a TRUE diff in quality in the sound ??? I read some of the posts and people are saying there is a BIG DIFF but I just wanted to double check.............
Old 03-20-03, 01:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

sounds starts at the source. the head makes the signal sound and it stays that sound until it gets to the amp. when it gets to the amp the amp multiplies whatever sound it is given and depending on the quality of the amp it drops the sound quality as a result of the signal to noise ratio, or raises it. then the amplifier has to have good channel seperation to avoid cross talk, this sets your staging. finally it goes to the speakers. if the Nak speakers are more efficient than the pioneers, they will perform better due to less power consumption. if they are more power hungry or are a different ohm, things will go downhill.

the head unit determines the "sound"

the amp determines the "quality"

the speakers determine the "quantity" (by way of s/n db and vas / qts/ ect...)

if i knew more about the pioneer systems, i could do the numbers and come up with a conclusion.
Old 03-20-03, 08:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the premium stereo with the CD changer, the wiring harness is the same, but system components are not interchangeable. The Nak head unit needs the Nak amp to work properly. The difference between the Nak amp and Pioneer amp is night and day. the Nak amp is about 4x bigger and MUCH heavier. Also, the regular Pioneer sub is a 1 Ohm unit whereas the Nak sub is a 4 Ohm unit. So basically, you definitely need the Nak head unit, Nak amp, and Nak sub to get the system running.

The CD changer is the same and the 4" speakers are all 4 Ohm. Although you should get better speakers since the naks were of better quality.

I did the swap from the premium to the Nak system. The radio is clearer and tapes sound better (dunno if its because my original was just crappy or if the Nak is that much better). I initially had the original speakers in the deck and doors and it was just louder and little bit "crisper". Replaced with Boston Acoustics all around... night and day.

I think it is a decent upgrade if you can find parts for cheap. I paid $70 for the HU and $100 for the amp. The sub was $50 and new Bostons all around.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-03, 09:35 PM
LexFather

The electronics experts will help more than here.
Old 03-21-03, 03:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the schematics and judging by the looks, TOked is right on. If you have the CD equipped Pioneer, it's much easier...
Old 03-21-03, 06:03 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hmm...

Ok like I said I want to keep my factory head unit (for for the look) because its hard to get a aftermarket unit to look good with the factory remaining setup.......... eather way I wanted to keep the premium or get a Nak Head unit and my next question is can I change out the amp and then from there get diff speakers / sub ? if I can change out the Pioneer amp could I also change the head unit to a Nak and get a diff (non nak amp) and upgrade like that ??
Old 03-21-03, 07:07 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You should (or maybe need) to get the Nak Amp with the Nak Head unit...I agree with you on retaining the factory look...

Since the Nak and Pioneer use amps, I am assuming that the head units have pre-outs which means you can customize it...looking at the schematics again (I have it layed out in front of me right now), it looks like can use your own amps but the speaker amps (it looks like the woofer has a seperate amp) have a MUTE and BEEP input that I doubt any aftermarket amp would have...everything else looks standard...SGND, FR, FL, RR, RL, GND, AMP, +B, ACC, E, FL+, FL-, RR+, RR-, RL+, RL-, FR-, FR+....but the CD unit look like you'll have to stick with the Lexus units....
Old 03-21-03, 07:18 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Manaray

Ok so I may be able to use an aftermarket amp but as far as the Sub amp does that hook into the head unit or the other amp?? Also I am not 100% sure how the phone was intergraded into the car but when I got my 92 300 the phone was taken out but from what I know the phone was intergraded into the car so that the mic was near the steering wheel and so did the phone use the current speakers??? So would the MUTE / BEEP be something to do with that which means if you don't have or care about the intergraded phone this would not matter?? I am just throwing stuff out there LOL...
Old 03-21-03, 07:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

judging by the schematics, itlooks like the Telephone Transceiver and Speaker Relay (TTSR) is ONLY intergrated into the Front driver side speaker...the feed from the amp comes out of the amp and then goes through the TTSR to the speaker...

You can just bypass the TTSR (like in the non-phone equipped cars) all together...

As for the sub's amp, I'm not sure how it's PHYSICALLY hooked into the system. It MIGHT be a part of the unit, maybe not...on the schematic, it's shown as a seperate box

As for the MUTE/BEEP, I would assume it's used with the phone system....I can't recall if my SC beeps when you change CD's or whatnot...my GS430 does for sure.

So it looks like all you need is the CD changer (same unit for both Nak/Pioneer) and the head unit...the rest you can just get aftermarket amps and speakers...who knows, the Pioneer headunit might be good enough...I'm not sure if the Nak head unit is actually better (especially if you're playing CD's...the tape unit might be better...I'm thinking it's all in the amps and speakers....
Old 03-21-03, 08:07 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanx again Manaray

Thanx again you have answered what I needed I will check into this more soon and I will get back with you all about what I find out...............

Thanx all
Shawn
Old 03-24-03, 11:39 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Shawn so is that what you decided to do, the factory HU and an aftermarket amp? Would you mind PM-ing me with the details? I have a 93 GS and I want to do that but I am all confused. Thanks.
Old 03-27-03, 05:41 PM
plrbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking aftermarket cd player for 95 ls 400

I have just bt. this wonderful car but the owner did not get the cd player. I would like like to put in a 6 disc or more into the glove cmpt. This is strictly for long trips with the family. We are in CHarlottesville and but Crutchfield did not have any suggestions on their website. I did go out to the store but they only had the fm band ones. I don't mind that but if there was one that could be hooked straight in would be my pref.

I am not an techophile so take it easy on me.

Quick Reply: Nakamichi VS NON Nakamichi