Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DVD Player with no video?

Old 03-17-14, 09:59 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Player with no video?

My wife just picked up her new (to her) 2010 RX 350 with the Mark Levinson audio system. I'm impressed with the sound when comparing it to other stock systems. Compared to high end 'after market' systems? That's a different story. In other words, it's good but not great.

I inserted a DVD disc into the head unit and after it loaded, the audio portion of the disc played in what seemed to be multi-channel surround but there was no video. I clicked on the "Full Screen" icon and nothing happened. I was parked in my driveway at the time because I thought it might not display video while driving. In fact the engine was not even running.

Does this system show video? If not, what good is a DVD player that does not display video? I do have some DVD-A discs and I'm wondering if they will play.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-14, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

engage the parking brake
Old 03-18-14, 01:10 AM
Gregavi
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
engage the parking brake
That makes sense, especially since my wife is notorious for not engaging the parking brake.

I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 03-18-14, 10:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes, for the dvd video to display, the parking brake has to be engaged. a lot of times that should solve the problem
Old 03-18-14, 04:34 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

yes, for the dvd video to display, the parking brake has to be engaged. a lot of times that should solve the problem
Which makes having a DVD player for video kind of worthless, unless of course you live in your car.
Old 03-18-14, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gregavi
Which makes having a DVD player for video kind of worthless, unless of course you live in your car.
i absolutely agree. same with the nav, can't use the nav when driving makes it kind of useless too. that's why a lot of people including me have the navigation and dvd override. love it.
Old 03-18-14, 10:07 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

i absolutely agree. same with the nav, can't use the nav when driving makes it kind of useless too. that's why a lot of people including me have the navigation and dvd override. love it.
Do tell. What is the override and how would one engage it?

I think you mean, you can't program destinations into the GPS while moving, not "you can't use the nav".
Old 03-18-14, 10:18 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

I just read a "How to Override Lexus Navigation Motion Lock" article. I will try it tomorrow. I assume mine works the same way even though I'm not sure mine is a touch screen since it has a mouse and cursor. It explains how to access the service menu. (once there, it's easy) Does anybody know if I access the SM the same way with my mouse and cursor system?

Thanks
Old 03-19-14, 12:55 AM
Gregavi
Rookie

OK, so now I have read that the '07-'10 cannot be overridden and also read the nav in those years is horrible. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-14, 11:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

anything 07+ with gen5+ systems, there is no override through menu system anymore. you will need hardware override. some people cut wires but i am not a fan. you can get the override modules. there are two

one is from prestigious society

www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

one is from beatsonic

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...ota-lexus.html

prestigious is more expensive but it doesn't have switches so much cleaner installe, beatsonic is cheaper. i have written a review before and there are a lot of other threads on this too
Old 03-19-14, 12:16 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

anything 07+ with gen5+ systems, there is no override through menu system anymore. you will need hardware override. some people cut wires but i am not a fan. you can get the override modules. there are two

one is from prestigious society

www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

one is from beatsonic

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...ota-lexus.html

prestigious is more expensive but it doesn't have switches so much cleaner installe, beatsonic is cheaper. i have written a review before and there are a lot of other threads on this too
Thanks for mentioning our bypass

BTW, if only looking at bypassing DVD player so that it will display the video while the car is in motion, we also have a solution where it has a switch, but you can keep it engaged at all times without affecting any other factory controls or options.

That means you can keep the switch hidden all the time because you will not have to constantly engage or disengage it

Here's the link is you are interested: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beatsonic-tvk-46.html

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 03-19-14, 04:20 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

I'm more interested in being able to set/change nav system while driving. As far as DVD video while driving? That's not that important. Isn't that what laptops are for, to be able to watch a movie while driving (passengers, not the driver)? The location of the screen is recessed so far back that watching a video is less than optimal anyway. It's not great for nav either as far as it being recessed so far back into the dash. I think the designers thought it would look cool recessed way back like that, but it serves no purpose. It's like a home theater designer saying "we're gonna take this little TV and place it deep inside this cabinet and it will look really cool". Like looking at a small TV at the end of a tunnel.
Old 03-19-14, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would say the dvd is more of an extra bonus. the main reason for the screen to be recessed back is to make it less problematic under sun glare, which historically has been a problem on lexus vehicles with touch screen features.

regardless, the units i mentioned, if you get the right one, they all allow you to override nav too
Old 03-19-14, 04:32 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregavi
I'm more interested in being able to set/change nav system while driving. As far as DVD video while driving? That's not that important. Isn't that what laptops are for, to be able to watch a movie while driving (passengers, not the driver)? The location of the screen is recessed so far back that watching a video is less than optimal anyway. It's not great for nav either as far as it being recessed so far back into the dash. I think the designers thought it would look cool recessed way back like that, but it serves no purpose. It's like a home theater designer saying "we're gonna take this little TV and place it deep inside this cabinet and it will look really cool". Like looking at a small TV at the end of a tunnel.
Hi Gregavi,

Here are your options:

From us/Beat-Sonic:

NVK-18: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beatsonic-nvk-18.html
- This will bypass your navigation address input, POI, phone address book, mp3, phone dialing
- Will not bypass DVD
- $160 shipped

NT4618: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...ss-module.html
- This will do everything a NVK-18 does and DVD Bypass
- $220 shipped

From Prestigious Society:

NAV Bypass:
http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1188
- $199.99

NAV+ DVD Bypass:
http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138
- $299.99

Functionality is the same between ours and Prestigious Society. However, their buttons are smaller.

Hopefully this helped!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 03-19-14, 04:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Functionality is the same between ours and Prestigious Society. However, their buttons are smaller.

Hopefully this helped!
actually prestigious unit has no buttons at all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DVD Player with no video?