Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer choice

Old 05-11-13, 09:26 PM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer choice

I am looking to replace my subwoofer in the sc400 and I have read just about every thread there was.

I am thinking of either using the

Kicker CVT10-2 10" CVT Shallow Mount Car Subwoofer

JL Audio 10TW3-D4 Shallow-mount 10"

Since I have been out of the audio scene for awhile and not looking to blow out my windows or irritate my neighbors I really am looking for clean sound to listen to all kinds of music.

I will be chopping up the mount off of the old speaker to mount the new sub and it appears that there should be no fitment issues or at least non that I can think of.

Care to share your thoughts?
Old 05-13-13, 06:32 AM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone checked out the new speaker from JL Audio. It has a 3.25/3.50 mounting depth and has a. 60 excursion one way. Recommended rms watts is 100-400.

I have an older kicker in my truck but haven't heard the shallow mount kicker or the tw3-d4.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some 6.5 speakers in the rear?

I am going to be purchasing soon and would like some assistance if you can.
Old 05-15-13, 04:12 PM
CaliTRDSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kicker 8"CVT in my 300. only for mids though, ive been looking to have a Boston 10in. i have 15 in the trunk. looking to replace doors speakers what are you using?
Old 05-19-13, 08:14 AM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

I haven't started yet but I have acquired the speakers and amps. I am going to run Hertz Hi Energy HSK 165 components in the doors and Hertz HCX165 in the rear deck powered by a JL Audio HD600/4 amplifier for the mids and tweets and a JL Audio JX500 mono block for the rear sub. Also purchased Damplifier Pro to do the doors and rear deck. All I have to get next is the sub which I will purchase in the next few weeks. I think I am going to go with the JL Audio 10TW3 - D4 sub. I need the trunk space.
Old 05-19-13, 08:18 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like you're sticking to big brands. I'd suggest saving your money on big brands and buy medium tier brands and PROCESSING to make them sound better than the big brands.
Old 05-19-13, 09:39 AM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Kicker Comp 10" in the rear deck. Of the subs I have researched, not many are suitable for free air use on the rear deck. I know the Comp I have is, and also know that the new Comp S and Comp D line are also free air compatible. The Comp is rated at 150 watts RMS and the others (S and D) are rated at 300 watts. I only have 150, but to me that's enough. I'm going for clean sound, not crazy bass, in case you were wondering.
Old 05-19-13, 07:36 PM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Sounds like you're sticking to big brands. I'd suggest saving your money on big brands and buy medium tier brands and PROCESSING to make them sound better than the big brands.
Do you have a recommendation on a processor?

I have already purchased the amps and the speakers minus the subwoofer. I don't mind spending the money I have so far as I have some disposable income for my toys and hobbies. I am self employed and my retirement is being funded and my house is almost paid off so I can spend a little without too much worries.

I appreciate any other guidance or threads you could direct me to so I can learn more.
Old 05-26-13, 05:07 PM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

Since I didn't get very many responses I have opted to sell what equipment I have accumulated and opt to have a full front stage built by a professional with digital sound processing and a rear sub in a box. After doing some research I am going to have Bing from Simplicity in Sound do the work. Now to save up the money for the install.