Sponsored by:

subwoofer problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 08:14 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default subwoofer problem

I'm having a sub issue. I have the Nakamichi sound system. The prior owner added a two channel amp (pioneer PRSx320) and a pioneer sub. I can't tell exactly how the new amp and sub were added, but I assume the installer bypassed the sub channel in the nak amp. There is a line output converter in the rear deck near the sub.

I've had the car for about 7 years and about 4 years ago the sub stopped working. I replaced the line output converter and the sub worked great again. The sub started acting up again last fall, working sometimes, not working others, and occasionally the sub would start working after having not worked for a while and soon after it started to work, the sub would thump and pop until it quit working again. It seems like it works best when the temperature outside is either cold or very warm, but even then it only works for a little bit.

I bought another line output converter and installed it today but the sub doesn't work at all, so I don't think it's the converter that is giving me problems.

One of the rear speakers isn't working (they are original speakers) so I assume it's just a blown speaker, but I wonder if that speaker and the sub are both not working because of the way the new sub was added, ie, the connection is loose.

Do any of you have any thoughts on what my problem is? Eventually I'm going to upgrade my rear speakers to a pair of 2 way 5.25 in speakers, and then upgrade the door speakers and tweeters too, but I want to get my sub working first because it really makes me happy!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Tom
Old 04-18-11, 08:53 PM
Launch1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub wks but not rear speakers.

It is the Nakamichi stereo in the car. Anybody else have this problem and was it a simple fix or simple to troubleshoot?
Old 09-17-16, 03:07 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

its good to see you stuck with the originality of the sound system, im not to fond of after market stuff.