Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Worthless Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 05:26 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sammo sammo, Have a Garmin with free traffic update $150(may not 100% accurate) in the compartment always
Old 03-12-11, 06:21 PM
ball4lyfe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the navi on my 07 GS350 sux ballz as well...
Navigon on the iPhone is great btw.
Old 03-13-11, 01:29 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

i agree with most of the posts here.

We have an 09-Es350 NAV and like everyone mentioned the system is very easily flustered and my wife has pretty much went back to her portable Garmin unit.

The worst part in this car is there is no aftermarket Double Din solution like on my 2000 Gs400.

We went with factory NAV because I knew there was no aftermarket unit I could ever throw into it.

So basically I bought a $2000 backup camera.

my worst complaint on the NAV is that when it tells you to take exits or off ramps it actually does not know if it's a right or a left and sometimes tells you the exact oposite of what you are supposed to be doing.

Very anoying when the exit you need is actually on the right and the Lexus NAV is telling you to make a left turn up ahead.

Oh well. At least she has her Garmin unit.
Old 03-14-11, 07:07 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't sound too good. We bought out RX300 in 2001 with the nav unit and I personally find it works great. I also have a Nuvi that I use in my other car and I really enjoy the built in system much better than the dash mount system. I haven't personally had any problems with the nav unit and I find it works just fine out here. However, I don't like spending $150 every time I want to update the roads on my vehicle
Old 05-10-11, 07:55 PM
MC5Wes

Default Navigation

I have a 2007 RX350 with both NAV and RSES. Paid big bucks. And wont be doing it again.

The NAV looks nice and works for 99 percent of the stuff I need it for. When I first got it. It had me going all over. But you can adjust the system to make it work better for you. I turned off the voice recognition. And just look at the screen. The time to arrival settings are under the "Menu" Page.

You will never get the OEM system to be as good as a Garmin or Nuvi. You cant update the systems or programming as quick. Garmin can update their programming or product every few months. An auto manufacturer will always have a 6 or 7 year update time frame. Just look. The RX didn't get an audio AUX input till 2010.

Overall it is worth having. But if you are going to put your life on the line. I wouldnt count on it. The news is full of stories of people who died listening to the GPS systems.

On the flip down RSES system. It was nice 10 years ago. But today you can just buy a couple of WiFi iPads. And put them in any car for 1/4 of the price.

You can almost say the same thing about the Heads Up System. They have .99 cent Apps for your iphone. That does most of the job.
Old 05-16-11, 05:44 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skyspydude
This doesn't sound too good. We bought out RX300 in 2001 with the nav unit and I personally find it works great. I also have a Nuvi that I use in my other car and I really enjoy the built in system much better than the dash mount system. I haven't personally had any problems with the nav unit and I find it works just fine out here. However, I don't like spending $150 every time I want to update the roads on my vehicle
the lifetime updates for a garmin cost @120 and it's a one time deal. if you don't want to spend that amount you will spend a hell of alot more being that the individual updates are usually around 80 bucks. do the math
Old 06-21-11, 10:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Built in OEM nav all suck. My friend's new GS's navi system can't find his house. The Navi in my 07 MB does the same thing. Says some zip codes do not exist and is more annoying than not. I bought my parents a TomTom which is exponentially better than any OEM nav I have seen.

The best nav system I have ever used? Google Navigation on my Android phone. On long trips, that with a window mount is the best system I have ever used, hands down. I never use the MB's nav anymore, actually, I find myself using the car's nav more as a map than anything else. Routing functions blow.
Old 06-22-11, 05:26 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I also have a $2K back-up camera with bonus map feature.

Tried using the nav for about a year in my 2009 ES, and finally resumed using my Garmin. I considered pursuing a refund, but since I had already gotten Lexus to cut me a $1,600 check for the ML system, I figured it would be an even tougher nut to crack -- too many trips to the well.

The back-up camera turns out to be very handy, though -- visibility out the back isn't the greatest.
Old 06-22-11, 07:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont even bother using the navi too often. most time it wont find where i need to go even though when i get there, it shows up on the navi screen so i dont know why it wont find it. i guess user error.

either way i use my maps app on my iphone or the garmin app i have downloaded which imo is much better than the lexus navi
Old 01-26-13, 07:48 PM
yuribud
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 2007 Navigation if you can call it navigation

I just bought 2007 RX350 with 95K in mint condition with fully loaded with nav and backup camera. I thought finally I have a built-in system and could get rid of my trusty TomTom which was my first GPS I bought back in 2007 (a coincidence). I guess I was wrong. It looks like I am going to use my TT. The Lexus nav is just terrible. If it were the first generation nav whichever came on the market back in 2000 then I could understand. But it was 2007 when there were so many excellent portable GPS on the market which just make this one bite the dust. I just can't believe Lexus put such a mediocre system in their 'luxury' car. What were they thinking about?

When I bought my TT, as I said it was my first GPS, I went to the car right from the store, unpacked, hooked it up and was able to set up directions to my home and go within a few minutes without reading any instructions. I tried to input the directions on this one on my first trip and I spent half an hour and still could not get it. Thank God I took just in case my TT with me. Then when I had more time I opened the manual (huge) and started reading step by step. Why they made so complicated, so hierarchical, so many buttons to push to get the directions?

1. Why they need regions? Just select the state, then city, etc. Is not it simple?

2. Why they start the search with the house #, street, city? Normally it should be the other way around: state, city, street, house #. It narrows down the search faster. So if I enter 61 Broadway then the list drops down with 20 Broadways in the nearest cities. If I entered Manhattan -> Broadway -> 61 then it would have jumped right to this destination as it is on TT. That's what I am doing right now to bypass this redundant list of 20 Broadways in different cities when I know I need the one in Manhattan.

3. OK, I'm done with destination, then the screen shows me the final point which I can adjust. Why do I need to adjust it? How do I know if I need to adjust it if I never went there. Even I did, then still, what to adjust? Just a useless feature. Never mind. I hit Enter. It shows me 3 routes. How do I know which one to choose if I never went there before? Just give me optimal one. Why do you give me a few more shortest options when it may take local roads but more time. I don't have time to sit and review all those routes. I will waste more time than taking the first one which may take 10 minutes more.

4. OK, I am ready to go. There are 2 modes: north-up, and actual when the map actually moving around the pointer (could not they just put at least one car icon?). Why they even put up a noth-up mode? It's completely confusing. Just another waste. OK, I want to go, but the voice says 'proceed to the indicated route and follow the guidance'. My TT says right away where should I go: right turn or left in so many feet, turn around as soon as possible, etc. so I am prepared. Here I have to figure it out where to go first staring at the map and then it says to make a left turn when it's too late because I am in the right lane and I don't have time to move over to the left since I am close to the traffic light.

5. It just says turn left or right but does not say street name. How retarded is that! It was 2007 when any decent GPS had voice turn-by-turn directions with street names. On the complicated intersection, where sometimes 2 streets go one after another it will be very easy to take wrong one.

6. I am an Belt Parkway going to Staten Island, NY. Even I did not need it since knew the direction, I just put it for a test. I am approaching Verrazano Bridge. Guess what it says? I need to take I-278. What the hell is I-278? I've been living here for 20 years and all I knew it was Verrazano Bridge. And that's how TT announced. I knew the bridge is part of this highway, but there is no even a sign saying I-278. It says Verrazano bridge. If I were from a different area I would have been completely lost since there was no any sign for I-278.

7. The TT has a very nice feature: browse as text. After I set the destination I could review the route as text same way as online maps. It was very convenient when you take the route the first time. Instead of going in blind, I could get the idea where I was going in a few seconds. Lexus has an route preview as animation but I don't have time to sit in the car and watch this cartoon. If it's a long route with a lot of turns it may take forever.

8. Ridiculous directions. I am going to my house where I need to go one more traffic light, then turn left, turn right and I am home. The Lexus nav tells me to turn left one light before, then turn right, another right, then left to my street. This is a joke!

9. Enough about directions. I can continue. I just can't believe it's Lexus 2007. If it were the first generation of nav, then I would not have spent my time writing this. The visual part is bad. They did not see other GPS? My TT shows streets that almost look like 3D. It really shows the streets with a car icon so I feel like I part of the screen. But as a matter of fact, I rarely looked at the screen because the voice directions were so good so I could concentrate on the road. The Lex just shows lines as the streets with a small pointer (car) on the current street. Ugly! When I getting close to the destination, the TT zooms in automatically showing every street name around. The Lex split the screen in 2 with a zoomed view in the right screen showing a few streets before the turn, but it looks to technical, not user-friendly at all. And no street names anyway since not have enough room in the right section of the screen. They just wasted this huge screen.

10. Why should it be DVD based? Why extra expense? How come the TT I have as well as all others can hold all the US and Canada with all POI, gas stations, alternatives routes in their memory without any DVD? Why Lex could not do the same in 2007! They could make a slot for a SD card if somebody wants to buy an update. They charge $175 for DVD, but $100 to replace it which takes them 5 minutes. Well, may be 15 if somebody has too much junk in the trunk to pull it out and then put it back. I just ordered the DVD and I will do it myself. I will not pay them $100 labor. I can't believe how dumb they are. If they made and update through 'their' computer and charge $150 this would be reasonable and they will make more money and I would not mind to pay $150. Not a big deal. The car 2007 and I am planning to keep it for the next 5 years. But not $275. They would make more money b/c the software could be downloaded, there is no manufacturing cost for DVD and shipping. Oh, well I can go on.

*** I did get the DVD, replaced it, took about 10 minutes the first time, next time I will do it in 3. Same crap. The only good thing is 'I agree' screen disappeared. So I don't have to this button every time to get to the system which was so annoying.

I can't compare it with other cars and really don't care. All I know in 2007 it could've been at least on the same level as TomTom, Garmin or even better. I would've been really angry to buy this car in 2007 paying full price and extra about $2000 for nav package which is completely useless when for $350 I could buy an excellent portable GPS.

This is Sep now. I have had the car for 9 months. This is to confirm the Lexus Nav is the worst technical device ever since industrial revolution. This is regress rather than progress. I had to go recently to Jay street in Brooklyn, which is a street with a lot of municipal buildings in down town. Guess what? My updated to 2013 nav could not even find this str. Instead, it showed Jay Street Place but there is no such street at all with this building #. Turned my never updated 2007 TomTom and bingo! Right there.

Are the Lexus Nav 'designers' really stupid? Who approved this system? Why could not they compare with any other portable system? Just don't get it.

Last edited by yuribud; 09-30-13 at 05:23 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-25-13, 05:43 PM
Zieke
Driver School Candidate

You are absolutely correct with the 2007 nav system. I recently had a Lexus tech guy help me with my nav, and the best info he related to me was to start with the city first and go "backwards" to set your destination. He also was quite honest when he said Garmin is a GPS company, and Lexus is not. If you have nothing else, the Lexus sys. is usable, but I will stick with a Garmin. I guess the Lexus system may help sell the car sometime later.