Dealer installed GS spoiler/3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 03:20 PM
emorys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer installed GS spoiler/3rd Brake Light

Hey guys -

I had the dealer install a GS rear spoiler as part of my deal, but I hated the 2 brake lights, one in rear deck one in the spoiler look. I removed my rear deck mouted brake light but now I have an annoying warning light in my dash that won't go out.

Any ideas on how to kill the light??
Old 05-28-02, 05:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

emorys,

This subject has come up many times, I'll do a quick search for "third brake light" for you and get some links that will help you (always try to use this feature first ).

First link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=30454

might want to PM Bananags to see if he's actually done this mod. Personally, I wouldn't try it - afraid my car would burst into flames due to some screwup on my part.

Second link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=30337

Note there are a couple of links in the post above as well (I won't list here again).

In short: There are a couple of issues with removing the light.

1) if you pull the bulbs or cut the wires, a light shows up on the dash which is more annoying than having a second brakelight.

2) if you pull the assembly off the back deck, there is a big ugly canyon of a hole left on it.

My solution - Short term: block the light on the back deck assembly.

I pulled off the back deck and used liquid electrical tape to brush on several coats on the inside of the assembly. Others have used regular black electric tape on the inside of the assembly to accomplish the same thing. I also tinted the windows which helps me ignore the useless appendix sitting on my rear deck.

My solution - Long term: As part of an upcoming subwoofer re-install, I'm going to have my rear deck rebuilt and dynamatted, including fastening the light assembly UNDER the back deck, leaving me with a solid rear deck.

Hope this helps.
D
Old 05-29-02, 09:31 AM
emorys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Thanks D -

You are the man!

Your ideas are great, especially the search first option.

Will do that before posting in the future...
Old 05-30-02, 11:25 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a relay

I would go back to your dealership and tell them to install the relay that comes with the true factory installed spoiler. I had my rear deck completely removed and retrofitted with parts for a factory equipped spoiler including the relay.
Old 05-30-02, 01:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Johnny,

How much did all that run you? I checked with Steve Ganz a good while back and the deck plus relay was over $500 (if memory serves).

Steve had trouble getting just the relay as well at the time, I think I may have been the first to ask him about doing it so he was unsure of the part.
Old 06-03-02, 07:01 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3rd Brakelight Removal (long)

Dave,

the dealership didn't charge me for it...long story, but my wife works there..well here's the story. I had a 98 GS, the dealership knew I didn't drive it much, they had a good customer who absolutely wanted one just like mine...none to be found...worked out a deal to upgrade to 2k model for no cost to me, and at the same time my wife became Elite Master Certified...subsidized lease program..nicey nice! Anyway, ordered the 2K the way my old one was Blk/Blk NAk, 17's Factory spoiler. Great right. Well here's where it got interesting..The car came in in January..I wasn't going to take delivery in Jan, start paying and not get full enjoyment out of the car (since I don't take it out much winters)..So I passed and said I'll take the next run that comes in that way...unbeknownst to me Lexus and AMEX got together and created this Platinum Edition (AMEX Platinum Card) and in the Northeast region, the GM's/Sales Managers during their production meeting decided no one really wants the spoiler from what we've seen, so let's not schedule any for our area..overall too many people complained about the 17's so those were nixed too across the board. There were Plat's available with spoilers (rare) but not in the Northeast Region. SO when they told me about it I sort of freaked and they were like...don't worry we can fix it and that's when I got **** about the 3rd brake light. They conceded and said they should not have been such big proponents of the no spoiler thing. My guess is that it probably would cost about $500, the relay I think was about 100-125...If you have tinted windows though and you get the relay, there is really no need to replace the interior 3rd light, just have the tint guy take it out, tint the full rear window, then replace the light...the relay will cause it not to light up and you can save a few bucks not to replace the deck. I can try to look for the part number if you are interested...I think the # may have changed, because even my guy had a hard time finding it again when I sent someone to him for it. Let me know.
Old 06-03-02, 02:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

If you want to save some time and money and not have your dealer screwing you (or the car) over, taping up the light bezel from the inside - it comes apart very easily - works well. I had my window tint guy use the black automotive tape that they use to black out trim, etc (sticks well, doesn't peel off in the heat). I'm sure the liquid electrical tape probably works well too. Anything that will completely block the light. I had mine done over a year ago and haven't thought about it since. If you're planning a medium to dark rear window tint (which I really recommend for the GS - it really keeps the car cooler), the extra brake light housing won't even be seen. There's no extra dissipated heat (compared to factory) this way, as opposed to using a resistor, etc, to replace the bulb. Using the tape also allows you to quickly restore this assembly to factory condition if ever necessary.

Sounds like all the relay is doing is allowing the circuit to be completed without the bulb? In the case of the resistors, I personally wouldn't want a 'brake-actuated heater' in the back of my car unless I absolutely had to.

I wish Lexus would get the picture that we really don't want to look like a bunch of goobers driving around with 2 third brake lights....and provide an easy way of connecting the new spoiler light in place of the existing one, so that the bulb sensing circuit stays happy. But this probably costs them 2 cents too much.

My 2 cents.
Jerry