Sponsored by:

4-channel amp Fosgate

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 11:29 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 4-channel amp Fosgate

I'm getting the P400-4 Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amp. Do you guys think it would drain my battery? It uses an 80 amp fuse for protection. Is that too much of a draw on the alternator? What do you guys suggest? Thanks CL members.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P400...3&tp=115&avf=N

Amping the 2 front door speakers and subwoofer.
Old 02-04-09, 11:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Has any one experienced with the P400-4 Fosgate yet?
Old 02-05-09, 04:30 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youll do fine...no problem
Old 02-05-09, 05:53 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by @lpher
Youll do fine...no problem
I concur...
Old 02-05-09, 06:39 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I'm getting the P400-4 Rockford Fosgate 4-channel amp. Do you guys think it would drain my battery? It uses an 80 amp fuse for protection. Is that too much of a draw on the alternator? What do you guys suggest? Thanks CL members.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P400...3&tp=115&avf=N

Amping the 2 front door speakers and subwoofer.
Since you're shopping Crutchfield, I'm assuming you want to do it yourself. If that's the case, and based in no small part on what you said in your other thread, I'm going to recommend that you DO NOT DO THAT. You need to visit a shop and let them do the work. Crutchfield is basically at MSRP - which a shop may very well charge, too, but they will do the work and warranty it! If you go in and tell them that you want to replace the front speakers and add a sub to the car with a 4 channel running the whole deal, they should be able to help you out with that - especially at Crutchfield prices. Their service is impeccable, no doubt, but unless you have friends that can help you or someone you can learn from, this one might be over your head. No offense meant by that, it's just personal experience speaking. I'd much rather hear you were well taken care of by a professional shop than having you post threads stating what the problems you're running in to because something went awry. Not that we're not willing to help out, but chasing down gremlins in a system can be a pain.

Shop around at a few places and get prices. Nothing says you cannot walk away from all of them and decide to do it yourself if you're not happy with the prices, but if you're willing to shell out the $$ from Crutchfield, you owe it to yourself to see what a retailer would charge for a similar deal since they will warranty the labor and the product. I think you'll be surprised how competitive they are.

Big Mack

PS: I do not own a shop any longer, but when I would get customers who were shopping Crutchfield, I welcomed them knowing I could offer something to them that they couldn't - the peace of mind that they were getting what they paid for. It's an entirely different retail environment now, however, so I don't recommend telling them you're looking at Crutchfield right off the bat.
Old 02-05-09, 10:52 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to big mack never know what might happen when your install all of it. i blew up a couple of things while working on my LS ;(. now im on my 6th audio system hehe

i highly doubt the fosgate amp will drain your battery unless you leave it on forever!!!!!! im running a sundown 100.4 which does 100 watt rms x 4, @ 4ohms and i havent had an issue. im running 8awg from the car battery all the way back to the trunk, and found a grounding bolt around that area. but dont quote me on that hehe

Last edited by PK_Celsior; 02-05-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-05-09, 01:58 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Will it drain your battery? No, unless you're listening to your systerm for long periods of time with the engine off.

Will it stress your alternator? Not likely either. An amp with that power output shouldn't be pulling more than 30-40 amps max. Most lexus alternators are rated at 100 amps.
Old 02-05-09, 04:20 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Do you guys realize this kid thinks he can change the amp to his current speakers/woofer, up the volts and expect everything to play louder.

I dont understand what gs4 is trying to accomplish here, you need to upgrade everything, not just slap a new amp into your current system.
Old 02-05-09, 08:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Do you guys realize this kid thinks he can change the amp to his current speakers/woofer, up the volts and expect everything to play louder.

I dont understand what gs4 is trying to accomplish here, you need to upgrade everything, not just slap a new amp into your current system.
Yes, I do realize that, and that's why I recommended he not even attempt to do anything to the car and talk to professionals. I'm just hoping he listens - it will go a long way toward proving he's learning from those of us who actually know something he doesn't. Not picking on him, we all had to learn it somehow, but we've spelled it out pretty plainly that his plan is askew.

Big Mack
Old 02-05-09, 10:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Since you're shopping Crutchfield, I'm assuming you want to do it yourself. If that's the case, and based in no small part on what you said in your other thread, I'm going to recommend that you DO NOT DO THAT. You need to visit a shop and let them do the work. Crutchfield is basically at MSRP - which a shop may very well charge, too, but they will do the work and warranty it! If you go in and tell them that you want to replace the front speakers and add a sub to the car with a 4 channel running the whole deal, they should be able to help you out with that - especially at Crutchfield prices. Their service is impeccable, no doubt, but unless you have friends that can help you or someone you can learn from, this one might be over your head. No offense meant by that, it's just personal experience speaking. I'd much rather hear you were well taken care of by a professional shop than having you post threads stating what the problems you're running in to because something went awry. Not that we're not willing to help out, but chasing down gremlins in a system can be a pain.

Shop around at a few places and get prices. Nothing says you cannot walk away from all of them and decide to do it yourself if you're not happy with the prices, but if you're willing to shell out the $$ from Crutchfield, you owe it to yourself to see what a retailer would charge for a similar deal since they will warranty the labor and the product. I think you'll be surprised how competitive they are.

Big Mack

PS: I do not own a shop any longer, but when I would get customers who were shopping Crutchfield, I welcomed them knowing I could offer something to them that they couldn't - the peace of mind that they were getting what they paid for. It's an entirely different retail environment now, however, so I don't recommend telling them you're looking at Crutchfield right off the bat.
Thanks for your advice and concern Big Mack. I appreciate your help. I got all my speakers upgraded to Alpine Type S and the subwoofer is from Fosgate. I was using crutchfield as a picture for people to see. I just want to see peoples thought of what I'm planning to do. I do have an audio tech that does it for me. I just want to hear otherwise from CL that's all.
Old 02-05-09, 10:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno

Don't call me a kid. Have some respect for your fellow CL members.
Old 02-06-09, 09:49 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Thanks for your advice and concern Big Mack. I appreciate your help. I got all my speakers upgraded to Alpine Type S and the subwoofer is from Fosgate. I was using crutchfield as a picture for people to see. I just want to see peoples thought of what I'm planning to do. I do have an audio tech that does it for me. I just want to hear otherwise from CL that's all.
Glad to help out, and congrats on the new system. It's never a bad idea to get a second opinion, either. Well, unless it's the following exchange:

Doctor: You're dying.

Patient: I am going to get a second opinion.

Doctor: Okay, you're ugly, too.

Big Mack
Old 02-06-09, 10:55 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

you will be fine running that 4ch on ur car. if you currently have a weak alternator/ battery/ stock ground/power wiring to and from the battery alternator chassi of the car. you want to be spending you money on either fixing/ replacing ur battery / alternator. a cap is a quick fix and will not relieve the stress on your alternator.
Old 02-08-09, 06:28 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1...I think you'll be fine, too, but talking to a few guys about your plan while the wife looks at home theater stuff can affirm you plan or save you from distress.

Ryeno, how old and wise are you?
Old 02-08-09, 06:34 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Default you'll be fine

I just installed that same amp today.

Quick Reply: 4-channel amp Fosgate