Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Navigation for '02 Lexus RX300 -- lies and empty promises!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 05:35 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Navigation for '02 Lexus RX300 -- lies and empty promises!

That's it! Enough lies already!

The Lexus customer satisfaction rep that I dealt with last time just called me, and he's saying that the update will be the same as the 2003 Lexus vehicles' software. Meaning that the update will probably be available in August / September / October -- when 2003 vehicles will be delivered??? Pardon my language, but that is enough BS and LIES! Now he's saying that he didn't promise me it'll be middle of this year.

First thing tomorrow morning I will go to my local Better Business Bureau to file a complaint. Then I will start to seek legal advice!

They think the "free update" is a favor for me??? What are they thinking??? I don't mean to be rude, but my '02 RX300 should already have all the capabilities Lexus claimed -- including parts of Canada! That free upgrade is NO FAVOR AT ALL TO ME!!!

Lexus has really disappointed me big time, and lied to consumers! This is the third and LAST Lexus I will ever own.

Regads,
Hendry Leo
Old 02-28-02, 05:24 PM
Lvangundy

Sorry to hear, what did the origina specs quote?
You may have gotten a faulty unit or bad software at least. I'm not too knowledgeable about the nav systems.
So, what exatly happened? The original specifcations claimed full capabilities but you didn't get them?

Keep us informed please
Lee
Old 02-28-02, 08:57 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Navigation for '02 Lexus RX300 -- lies and empty promises!

Originally posted by hleo1
That's it! Enough lies already!

They think the "free update" is a favor for me???
If your car is a 02 doesn't it already come with a 2 free upgrades during the warranty period?
Old 03-01-02, 05:08 AM
af4s
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV Update- 02-RX300

I was told by my dealer that the first update for the Nav is free. I am checking it out with Lexus.
Old 06-01-02, 04:49 PM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

<bump>

Did anyone hear about free updates?

Old 06-04-02, 10:03 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer told me that there used to be a policy for free first updates on the CD-based Navs but that Lexus charges for all updates on the DVD-based Navs.

-jim-
Old 06-05-02, 12:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hardly think that's a reason not to buy another Lexus...just ****** at them enough and they'll get you a free update...

Too bad I can't copy my 2001 Ver.1 DVD (this is the latest as far as I know...)
Old 06-05-02, 02:30 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default Seems the story never changes...

I'm sorry to hear the same BS and lies are being told months after the same BS and lies were told.

I have started yet another thread with Lexus Cusomter Service on this issue. It's now close to mid-2002 which I HAVE IN WRITING as the release date for an update. I wonder what they will say this time.

Lexus has shown to me that they are liars, incompentent and often just plain rude in dealing with their customers. Obviously, keep us posted with any definitive information you get from Lexus corporate. Frankly, the dealers know nothing (mine even quoted me a price and a part number and would order me the update back in October of last year... yeah, right). I've never heard anything about free updates from Lexus or my dealer. I have heard about > $500 (US) upgrade prices, however.

Outrageous.
Old 06-12-02, 07:27 AM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default The story HAS changed

The new DVD is out. (Of coruse we all knew that, but Lexus finally admitted it to me.)

I have been dealing with Lexus for about a year on the issue of updating a database that is dated 2000 and just got off the phone with them yet again. The price will be about $499 (dealer price) plus they insist on dealer installation ($100). I have told them this is outrageous and they came back with a "good-will" offer of 50% off. So now *my* cost (not yours, you must pay full price) is $300. I refused this offer. This update only adds a few new cities and enhances a few others. They claim a bigger update this fall but they have misinformed people for over a year now on when updates would be forthcoming so don't believe it. In addition, don't believe that they will make it a reasonably priced update.

Lexus has failed to listen and respond to my major concern of a reasonably priced update.

Folks, we spent $2000 (or more) on a DVD-based navigation system. A navigation system is only as good as the data it uses. The data I have is now two years old (and noted to my dealer that it was one year old when I purchased it). I was promised updates by my dealer and my Lexus for almost a year with none ever materializing. Now, finally, there is an update and they want me to pay 25% of my purchase price to get it. This is the price of a new Garmin GPS (with a better database) and hardware! There is no way that this can be considered a reasonable update price. I have been complaining to Lexus for a year, now, and they "good-willed" me 50% off for my inconvenience. Not acceptable. Lexus needs to let EVERYONE get updates for $100 or so and should also let us not have the dealer install them for us. I can buy a new engine for my Lexus and not have it installed, why can't I buy a DVD from them and not have it installed?

I know that many of you might say "but I got it with no installation" or "I got mine for free, just keep *****ing" but I can tell you that after about 20 hours on the phone with them this past year and numerous emails, they told ME that I will have to pay $250 for the update plus $50 to have it installed. My dealer still claims (as of Monday) that I can't even order this update ("nope, not available yet. DO YOU HAVE A PART NUMBER SO WHEN I CALL BACK IT WILL BE EASIER TO CHECK? No.").

So, if you want to buy a Lexus and want their navigation system, be aware that they see you as a sucker and a cash-cow to rape over the life of the vehicle. I have expressed this feeling to them, again today, and hope that future updates will be inexpensive. I am not holding my breath.

Wishing you all don't drive in to a lake with your navigation systems...

Dave
Old 06-12-02, 05:20 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Actually the dealer's invoice price is $349 and $499 is MSRP. I saw the document at my dealership with my own eys.
Old 06-12-02, 07:20 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Correct, the DEALER is charging me $499 and Lexus thinks that by giving me 50% off THAT price they are doing me a favor. In other words, they still think the dealership should make a hefty profit off me for doing nothing (and I mean nothing for as of Monday this week they told me that this update is not yet available... shows that they don't deserve squat).

Just proves, again, how Lexus is mistreating the customers.

All I ever wanted from Lexus was for them to take a seroius look at the pricing of the updates and make them reasonable. $250 is not reasonable and requiring installation (which takes two minutes with a charge for over an hour!) is not, either.

Yes, they lowered the price for me, but they need to do this for everyone (and make it even lower so that it's reasonable).

Just my thoughts...

Dave
Old 06-14-02, 01:15 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dzar:

I feel your pain....I think if enough of us ***** about NAV updates Lexus will have no choice but to offer them at a reasonable price. $499 is freakin nuts! As said, the NAV update should be given to Lexus owners automatically. 50 large and they can't offer a free update every couple of years? WTF!
Old 06-14-02, 07:58 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

What we need is for every member of this forum to write Lexus a letter complaining about their pricing scheme for DVD updates. Maybe (but not based on anyone I spoke to) this will show them that this is not an isolated problem.

Frankly, every time I speak to someone at Lexus they seem surprised by my complaint (like I'm the first person to ever say anythign to them). I know that unless they have 500 people working the phones (and I bet they don't) or they have a turn-over of about every week (possible, but unlikely) then they are really good actors or noone is actually complaining to Lexus (just complaining here!).

So, write them! Call them! Drive over to your dealer and stare them down, but do something!

We all thank you,
Dave
Old 06-14-02, 09:26 PM
joedoe
Rookie

dzar, can you write a sample email and we all (I hope) will be more then happy to sign it?
Old 06-16-02, 07:03 PM
Momcat1
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried to obtain a nav update under warranty by citing a specific navigation problem? For example, the version I received when I bought my '02 RX300 in Feb. does not properly route or recognize I-66 at the Washington beltway. I wonder what would happen if I claimed this was a manufacturer's defect and would I receive a new nav update under warranty?

Thoughts, gang?

Quick Reply: Navigation for '02 Lexus RX300 -- lies and empty promises!