Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Liquids coming from the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 04:14 PM
zet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquids coming from the battery?

So i decided to just open the hood and look at my engine bay one day and on top of my battery, there's a bunch of oil-like liquid substance on it. I'll get a picture as soon as I get my hands on a camera, but can anyone tell me what's going on and how i can fix it? I'm pretty sure it's a battery leak, but my knowledge on cars is obviously limited -_-
Old 10-23-08, 05:42 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Make there was a leak somewhere else and it just so happen go on the battery? Find an old rag and wipe it off and see if it has fluid on it again the next day or something.

If it is indeed a battery leak then you will want to replace it asap. I believe whats in the battery is battery acid but i might be wrong.
Old 10-23-08, 05:48 PM
zet
Driver

yeah, i think it's battery acid, because there is no leak or liquid around the area. it's just sitting on top of the battery around the positive.
Old 10-24-08, 05:32 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zet
there's a bunch of oil-like liquid substance on it
Well, indeed, a battery is filled with battery acid, which is sulphuric acid and water. I think it's when the battery is charged, there is also some lead (sulphate?) in the solution, hence the rise in the liquid level. The sulphuric acid and water wouldn't be oily, it would just dry to crystals. But, the lead or lead compounds could possibly dry to an oily substance. Yeh, get a new battery, and wash down the area around the battery with baking soda and water.

Last edited by bob2200; 10-24-08 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typo