Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Just installed Alpine 9886 and car pops when shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 10:03 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just installed Alpine 9886 and car pops when shut off.

Hey guys,..

Well I finally got around to installing a head unit to my factory system like I was asking all the questions about.

*All wiring/speakers/amps are still factory -- Just a headunit installation.

I ended up getting an Alpine CDA - 9886 Single DIN unit. I was comparing it to the Pioneer 690UB and the Alpine sounded better and the controls/looks pleased me better.

Anyhow,.. It took me a little figuring out but I got it hooked up to the factory system and everything works.. Sub is pushing a good bit harder than it did with the factory deck .. (I wired this deck up so it can remotely control the factory sub independently.. Also has crossover built in).

The problem is,.. When I turn off the ignition the system pops. Like you just pulled an RCA out of a Home theatre powered floor sub. Know what I mean?

I'm wondering what I can do to alleviate this noise, it isnt' hurting anything, but is annoying, and makes the car sound 'rigged' or something lol.. If others are in it, and I shut it off they are gonna be like, wtf was that?

*Btw, it utilizes all factory wiring, and the single amp going to the factory sub. I didn't change anything

Hopefully others have heard this before and can help me out with a solution.

*added a pictures just for kicks..*

USB/IPOD ports:

Thanks

P.S. -- The pop comes from the sub only it seems.

Last edited by Neofate; 02-21-08 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 11:33 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running aftermarket amps on this setup?
Old 02-21-08, 04:13 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Are you running aftermarket amps on this setup?
No.. just the factory amps/wiring/speakers.

I did put in a rockford Power Driver because the voltage going out to the sub from the Alpine unit was lower than what I measured from the factory unit. So to compensate the Power Driver boosted the voltage back into range, and works like a charm.

I do, however, think this Power driver is the reason from the pop. -- Was just curious if there was any work around to stop it, or cheap addition.

I can remove it, but the sub looses a significant power boost and is much less than it was with the factory deck. With the driver it performs as well as it did with the factory unit. I am very happy with the performance.

This might help:

When I turn off the headunit manually when car is on.. The sub will not pop.

When the car is turned on, the sub does not pop.

It only occurs when I turn the car off completely,.. ignition off.

It is like a power buildup or something. I know it isn't hurting anything, but just sort of makes things sound cheap to others in the vehicle when I turn the car off.

I intend on putting in a new sub and amp in the coming months so that will take care of it eventually, but I thought maybe some guru's could think of a way to alleviate whatever is causing this. Maybe some rig to allow the system to slowly drop power at the sub amplifier.. (capacitor to store power, so it drains out slowly after car is shutoff?.. Or delays pop for 30seconds or something until I'm out of the car and walking away lol).

I'm just going to live with it, unless someone can think of something to try. (I am going to leave the driver in,.. I'd rather have the proper performance than alleviate a pop of the sub when turning off the ignition. The pop is the lesser of the two evils if that is 'just the way it is'.)

Thanks
Old 04-08-09, 01:20 PM
yungpiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power to your amp is set up to turn on when your key turns the car on. To get rid of the pop you need to wire a remote wire from the amp to the back of your deck (should be a blue with white striped wire). This will make it so the amp powers up with your head unit and won't pop.

As far as the details for hooking up a remote wire, I'm sure you can search for specific details for your amp/car by googling it.
Old 04-10-09, 06:17 AM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to install a relay on the remote wire from the headunit to the factory amp, this will alleviate the "pop" noise you are experiencing..

Check out this link.....

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol