iPod control solution for OEM stereo finally found

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 02:04 AM
Sonnet71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod control solution for OEM stereo finally found

Hi mates,

long time unregistered reader, first time poster .

I'm based in Berlin - Germany and own a black 2003 Lexus IS 300 Sportcross. The car is fully equiped with a 9 speaker OEM stereo, moonroof, satnav and leather. Additionally I've fitted chrom rings on the tail fog lights, a liquid gas system (regular gas is so expensive here in Germany 1 litre = 1,45 Euro) and... an adapter to control my iPod over the OEM stereo.

After posting this solution on the UK and Euopean LOC (Lexus Owner Club) forum where I'm usually post, I've dediced to share my solution with this board where I was not a registerd user so far, because there was a massive interest (over 1000 clicks in 3 weeks). If your are interested in the original LOC UK post please have a look at the following link

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...6&st=0&start=0

My main questions since I bought my car were always

Is it possible to connect an iPOD directly on the OEM stereo, without opening and modifying the radio?
And is it possible to control the iPOD over the stock headunit buttons, while the POD is remaining in the glove box?

Since so far four weeks I can say:

It is possible, the sound is great, the control works perfect and the iPod charge while connected!!!!

After investegation a little bit, the european guys found oud that this solution is not only working for the IS. It seem that most of the Lexus Cars can be enabled to integrate the iPod.

Before I countinue to describe the solution I found I want to highlight that this is NOT an hidden advertising and I 'm not working for the described company. I'm just an enthusiastic end user who thinks that no IS 1.Generation driver must live withe the poor music quality which tape adapter or FM transmitter provide.

OK let's start:

About 2 month ago I found a small hint in the amerian LOC board in a quite old post, which made my alarm bells starting to ring. There is a little company in San Mateo (California) called Grom Audio. They produce like the worldwide known company Dension (ice link) AUX and iPod adapter for OEM stereos. You can imagine that couldn’t believe my eyes when I was checking the compatibility list and found the IS300 from 1999 – 2005 on it.

http://gromaudio.com/index.html

I knew from former searches to find a possibility to connext external sound sources to the stock headunit that only one harness of the backside of the radio was equiped with a plug. The relevant 12 line harness where GromAudio wants to connect their interface were empty (it's marked red on the attached photos). So it was easy to plug the grom adapter inside and it just works!!!

So connection is possible Let have a look to the features (quotes from the manufacturer web site):

Quote start------------

Toyota / Scion / Lexus GROM for iPod interface(GROM-IPOD-TOY)

- Original harness to connect to iPod (dock in cable)
- Original harness to connect to the back of the stereo
- Direct connection to the car stereo. CD quality sound
- Full control from car stereo or steering wheel
- Charge iPod while operating
- Most Toyotas, Lexus and Scions supported (year 98+)
- In-dash 6-CD will remain working !

It provides direct audio interface to a car stereo via the CD changer port. GROM Audio interface insures CD quality sound from iPod to car stereo speakers. It allow to "fool" your stereo into thinking that fully featured CD changer is plugged in. This way you can have thousands of tracks divided into playlists or full shuffle mode if you wish.

- Direct connection from iPod to car stereo provides CD quality sound
- GROM Audio translates button presses from your car stereo or steering wheel to the particular command iPod can understand
- Enables easy integration into the car system. Place it anywhere, control from the car stereo
- Charges iPod while connected

Quote End-----------------------------------------

Main distributor for the grom audio adapter is IndashPC where you can order the iPOD interface (Toyota / Scion / Lexus GROM for iPod interface(GROM-IPOD-TOY) for about $ 79.

http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapter...-ipod-toy.html

The product details are as follow:

Quote start-------------------------

Direct audio connection will ensure the best sound quality non compromised by FM transmitter or cassette adapter. Just plug the adapter into the back of your stereo (or in the trunk), connect it to your iPod and enjoy crystal clear sound and full control ! Ultimate iPod integration solution will provide the following features:

- Integrate your iPod into car audio system easily
- Get CD quality sound from the iPod through existing car stereo
- Control and operate your iPod with car stereo buttons or steering wheel controls
- Convert iPod into virtual CD changer
- Disk 1 allow to control iPod from its clicking wheel. Select your music from iPod and have it played. Stereo will control iPod
- Disk 2-6 mapped to playlists you create on iPod. Full control from car stereo. The following information is displayed: Disk #, Track #, time etc
- MIX, REPEAT work as usual
- SCAN allow to skip +-10 tracks for faster navigation
- Playlist positions are preserved for fast operation
- Shuffle songs, switch between tracks, playlists and adjust volume - all by using head unit controls
- Have your iPod charged

Quote End-------------------------

My package was delivered (to Europe) about one week after ordering. For $79,99 the package contents:

- Car stereo adapter in plastic enclosure
- OEM compatible harness to connect to the back of the car stereo
- iPod dock in cable
- Installation manual

I installed it in just one hour due to the OEM compatible harness and it just works!!!!!

The OEM stereo knows right now the following things:

- FM button -> regular Radio
- Tape button -> Tape
- Disk button (first time pressing) -> internal CD-Changer (on the left side - of the display you will see then “CD”)
- Disk button (second time pressing) -> external CD-Changer -> Grom Audio iPOD interface (on the left side of the display you will see then “CD1”)

If no Disc is in the internal CD changer you only need to press ONE time on the disc buton to switch from FM or tape to your iPod or other external sound source.

Even if your internal CD changer has an ERR3 fault it should run because the solution activate the EXTERNAL CD Changer control. For the electronic it's not relevant if the internal cd changer works properly or not.

One special thing is maybe interesting for people who are planning to buy an iPOD but do not own one so far. Beside of the regular iPod dock cable an
other cable called (AUX RCA cable + 3.5 mm phone jack (Cable-AUX-C)) is provided. This cable can be plugged into the iPOD interface box – instead of the iPod dock in cable – and allows you to listen to music from your regular mp3 player (without control from OEM stero for sure).

http://indashpc.org/new/accessories/cable-aux-c.html

After I found out that the Grom box was working fine the next challenge was to find a place were I can store it.

After searching an testing a little bit I remounted the OEM stereo, lifted a little bit up and stored the box in the empty room on the right hand side inside of the middle console. The place is perfect because it's close to the glove box where the player is stored and you can grab from the passenger side behind the middle console and change the iPOD cable against the regular AUX one if needed.

Another thing is that if your using the interface in the simple mode (disk 1) – in advanced mode you can surf with your stereo thru the play lists 1-8 - you can select manually on your iPOD every other play list over #8 for example play list 18 and navigate then with your stereo controls (track back and forwards) thru the tracks.

I hope this helps you to get mp3 in you car without loosing the original design inside of the car. If you have further questions, please ask.

The best – even it’s more iPOD nano 3. Generation specific - at the end. I’m an absolute electronic music fan. Due to this reason it was always a pain to listen to gapless mixed electronic sampler in mp3, because you hear a short break after each track (file). Right now with my new nano gapless play is POSSIBLE

So electronic beats, gapless played for hours in my Lex with full control over the stock headunit with a nonvisible iPod……could it be better?

All the best from Berlin – Germany

Sonnet71

P.S. My Car has a 9 speaker Stereo with satnav and nav works with this solution a usual :-)) When beeing in iPod mode with satnav running, the driver side speaker fades out the music from time to time, so that you can hear the voice of the navigation lady as usual. After the orders were given the speaker switches back to the iPod music.

It works like factory build!!!

P.S. Unfortunately I didn't find out so far how I can add some pictures. I you can help me out with that I will add some pics

P.P.S

I know that it's a really long story for the first post, but I thougt it would be better to share all informations I have found so far with you instead walk a the way how it mostly run if somebody find something new

1. post a link and write something like " Found this, is anyone out there who wants to try it out?"
2. discussing endless to find somebody who is not afraid just to buy and test it
3. start while wating a discussion about all the problems or missing features the solution would have - WITHOUT using the thing.
Attached Thumbnails iPod control solution for OEM stereo finally found-ipod-in-use.jpg  

Last edited by Sonnet71; 12-15-07 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 05:18 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this post an ad for that company?
Old 12-16-07, 02:51 PM
Sonnet71
Driver School Candidate

No definitly not!

I just wanted to share my found with you. I'm really astonished that everybody thinks it's an ad if you find something that is cheap and really work's. Just to quote my post

-----------
Before I countinue to describe the solution I found I want to highlight that this is NOT an hidden advertising and I 'm not working for the described company. I'm just an enthusiastic end user who thinks that no IS 1.Generation driver must live withe the poor music quality which tape adapter or FM transmitter provide.
----------

so if you find it valuable just test it. For me it's working fine

Best Regards from Berlin - Germany

Sonnet

P.S. From Berlin to San Mateo it's about 10.000 Miles. The company has about 50 people. Do you really think they have a sales consultant in Berlin Germany to sell the product in the US. I learned English at school not at home. Not really professional for a sales guy!!!!
Old 12-16-07, 09:41 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great news!
Old 12-17-07, 06:42 PM
Slick68
Driver School Candidate

Question Is there a catch?

Here's a quote I got from the GROM Install Manual:

-----------
Note: On most Lexus and Toyota cars you have to turn ignition off and then on for device to work.
-----------

Does this mean if you switch to the car off and back on if you wanted to say, listen to FM, then listen to your AUX input? Not really an ideal situation while driving. I'm hoping that this just means the FIRST TIME only right after install.

Sonnet71, any idea on this?
Old 12-18-07, 05:57 AM
Sonnet71
Driver School Candidate

Hi Slick68,

This quote means definitly the FIRST TIME only right after install.

I'm using my iPod right now since several weeks in the my IS300 and there is no need to switch of the ignition to change the device. Just select the button of the requested device on your stereo and it will change the source

Don't worry I've tested the solution intensively bevore I've posted it here. It's all working as described. No hidden trapps or something else.

Right now I'm not the only known person in the european lexus community who's using the Gromsolution. There are quite a few post from the UK, Germany, Austria and Switzerland of successfull using that thing. Example? A post from the UK Lexus owner club with a little walktrough of the installing you can find here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=46731

Best Regards and let it rock

Sonnet71
Old 12-18-07, 09:30 AM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sonnet71.

I believe the problem has been and continues to be that interfaces such as the Grom are not compatible with older Lexus models.

So if we are outside these models and years, an alternate solution is required:

Compatibility
Lexus GS 300/400/430/450H 01-06 (all)
Lexus ES 300/330/350 04-07 (all except Single CD)
Lexus GX 470 03-06 (without Navigation)
Lexus SC 430 05-06 (all)
Lexus IS 300/250/350 01-06 (all)

Please correct if wrong as I would love to find a plug and play for the 2000 ES.
Old 12-18-07, 10:13 AM
Sonnet71
Driver School Candidate

You are probably right, but a UK guy has mailed to Grom regarding his 98 Lexus IS which has a bottom loading CD changer.

They confirmed that the adapter is working with this type of stereo to

So we can correct the list to

Lexus IS 300/250/350 98-06 (all)

Over here in Europe we have a lot of people who are driving the IS model between 2001 and 2006. For them it was the only known solution without modifying the electronic of the stereo. So I thougt it could be interstiong for you too

Cheers

Sonnet
Old 12-18-07, 02:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

the problem is that most would argue that the Vaistech system is a decent bit easier to use+install and it is the direct competitor as it too only works on 01+ cars.

i like my setup
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269156
no control over the source but damn sight better quality than either a tape adapter or FM modulator
and currently works on more Lexus models than any other premade system
Old 12-18-07, 02:50 PM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonnet71
I learned English at school not at home.
Forgot to add that your English is very good and you have my respect for posting on a forum in your second language. Such second language skills are beyond most Americans, including myself.
Old 12-18-07, 11:46 PM
Sonnet71
Driver School Candidate

@jimmyjay

Thanks for the flowers!! It's good to hear from a native speaker, that my English is readable. I really enjoy the chance to practice english writing a little bit. I've lost it a little bit since I quit my work in an american consulting company almost two years ago.

@PureDrifter
let's not talk about problems and competition. I think the Grom solution is more a cheaper - but fine working - alternative to the Vaistech thing. Vaistech was discussed a lot in Europe but it's so expensive over here and in addition to that some guys have problems with the latests firmware of their iPod in combination with the Vaistech solution.

Regarding your solution I just can say: fantastic!!!!!

A few weeks ago a read as a guest thru this thread and this way is really cool. Unfortunately I have only less time in the moment to do some wire work at my car and my CD changer has sterted to jam. Due to this reason I was verly pleased to find the GromAudi interface for under $ 80

Best Regards from Berlin - Germany and enjoy the X-Mas time

Sonnet
Old 12-25-07, 07:00 PM
mkiiina
Rookie

i have this on my car now and it really does rock. could give the competition (that is more than double its price btw....) a run for its money.

total time for install - 20 mins start to finish! thanks for the find!
Old 12-25-07, 08:03 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i live in san mateo, i should check this out, but i just built puredrifter's setup. lol
Old 04-24-08, 02:37 PM
swaroopdk
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Any idea if this will work with the ES300 6 CD in dash changer (no Nav no Mark Levinson) stock radio. I have seen many units but none seem to include the 2002 ES300 . Please help...
Old 04-26-08, 02:58 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Good write-up!

Sonnet, anyone over the pond tried this set-up on a SC300, non Nakamichi?

Anyone in U.S.?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: iPod control solution for OEM stereo finally found