Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: out of these, which one is the best?
MB Quart Premium PVF-216
31.51%
Focal Polyglass 165 V2S
27.40%
Boston Acoustics PRO 60
10.96%
Alpine Type X SPX
8.22%
Other
21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Which Component Speaker is better to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 10:26 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MB Quart all the way !! nothing less than premium tho, either Premium or Q-series ...
Old 09-12-07, 06:14 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
MB Quart all the way !! nothing less than premium tho, either Premium or Q-series ...
which ones do you have?
Old 09-12-07, 08:07 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

In my old ES i had the reference series components (RCE269) for the rear deck and they sounded great, my friend with an old RSX has the premium components and they sound SICK so i can only imagine Q series, mmmmmmmm ... lol im planning on going Q for all 4 inside if i can make em fit in the doors, i already got the 12" premium subs (PWE302) for the trunk and they hit HARD ... all accompanied by rockford amps, when im done with everything ill post some pics, might take some time tho since these are pretty pricey speakers ...
Old 09-27-07, 09:36 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HAD MBQs. 218.03s, multiple sets. 160.03s and 160.02s. Again, multiple sets. HX25 tweets. 150.02 sets also.

HAD ads 325im speakers.

LISTENED to Rainbows. But for some reason Rainbow won't send me a set to put on the test bench for their famous "reference" hype series. They don't want REAL numbers published or any MLSSA waterfall plots.

DUMPED all the MBQ and ads speakers on Ebay. Got some good bucks off of them since they're very hyped.

For what?

Dynaudio. Clean, but not sterile. Detailed, but not fatigue inducing. They are STILL the ones to beat. Forget about all the competition hype. Forget about all the fancy advertising. Just try a set and install them in the car. Forget about the Titanium dome tweeter hype. Even the MBQ tech admitted to me that they can't control the ringing effects of the titanium - or any hard dome material for that matter. They can tout strength, but they can't avoid ringing effects. It's a physics thing.

The Dyn tweeters are treated silk, and are some of the worlds most accurate. Their top of the line home tweeter, the ESOTAR 2, is conisdered to be the worlds most accurate tweeter. Even the car audio tweeter, the MD100, is considered some of the best for car audio. Properly designed and damped. No ringing effects.

Their midwoofer is made from a mix of magnesium silicate polymer. Very clean. 3 inch voice coil (aluminum wire and former) is very light and responds to very high power. You can easily feed 200 to 300 clean watts per channel, rms. Their peak power for 10ms is 1000 watts.

For the MBQ reviewer that said the tweets weren't harsh...I'd like to try a set myself. I would be more than willing to bet that the ringing effects are still there, even if they over damped the chamber. If they're using a hard dome material, then they're going to have a heck of a time with the ringing effects, even if they cross them over at 5khz.

Give the Dynaudio brand a fair tryout. Install them in the car. I did this with my GS and actually had a comparo/shootout with a top end LS430 with the ML system. With just a speaker swapout, I was beating out the ML stuff. Salespeople couldn't believe it either.

Just some experience from the guy who wrote the book (literally) on Lexus/GS car audio.

Don't believe the hype of the speaker companies. Look beyond the marketing. And forget about the reviewers who are PAID to review...and not tell the honest truth about the product.
Old 10-07-07, 04:46 AM
shahir18
Instructor

ok, how about Hertz/Audison?
Old 10-07-07, 04:54 PM
Percy

Entry level. Definitely not high end.
Old 10-08-07, 04:44 AM
shahir18
Instructor

what would you consider high end?
Old 10-10-07, 03:44 PM
Percy

Diamond Audio (to a certain extent), Focal, CDT, Rainbow (don't get me started on the Reference). Dynaudio would be the absolute favorite - and those that have switched over would definitely agree by a long shot.

MBQ would rank as a slighly upper midrange/midlevel speaker compared to the Dyns.

If a shop had both the MBQ and the Dyns, properly tuned for both, you would be amazed at the difference.
Old 10-12-07, 07:27 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with Percy on the Dynaudios. If you are keeping the vehicle, invest in the Dynaudios. I've run them for several years and never tire of them even on the longest rides. Getting ready to do the same in my wife's '08 RX350.

Sound is very subjective and acoustics are very important. That's where the tuning comes in with someone who knows what they are doing. You need to hear them in the vehicle you are going to install them in, if possible. I heard a set a few years back at a GS meet in Atlanta and bought them immediately. But check out whatever you are considering first. All of them are very expensive.

Last edited by johnp66; 10-12-07 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 02:14 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the V2S have recently been changed to the VR, they have an aluminum dispersement cone, and a few other changes but they sound pretty kick ***.

there is going to be a change in the coaxial polyglass line as well.

just keeping everyone informed
Old 10-16-07, 07:36 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Default Rear Speakers

Originally Posted by madmax98
anybody tried CDT speakers? i tried them on my last car and they sounded awesome, and they're relatively cheap too
madmax98, I replaced my blown out Sc speakers with CDT 2-way speakers and they sound great.
Old 11-16-07, 09:51 PM
CDY
Pole Position

Anyone have any experience with F1 Status? Being an Alpine fanboi, I'd like to hear some thoughts from someone who has experience with high-end audio.

On a side note, I wouldn't doubt the quality of Dynaudio car speakers. Their studio monitors are some of my favourites.
Old 11-23-07, 11:14 AM
Percy

PLENTY of experience with the F#1 Status. Both of the versions. Yes, they portray a high end approach with the signal processing, and it is impressive. But in terms of sound quality, it's all stopped down by the op amps/buffer stage.

Put it this way - my very little modded C90 sounds worlds better than the F#1 Status. Alpine dropped in NE553x series of op amps, which are considered the "standard issue...el cheapo" of all the op amps out there. The only worse insult they can do is to drop in a general purpose 741 op amp.

Now if the F#1 were modded with a better clocking scheme and some respectable op amps, then you would hear something much better. As for now, it sounds worse than many 500 dollar head units out there. And they're asking several grand for the thing. Not worth it, unless you're completely reworking and modding out the board.
Old 11-24-07, 02:19 PM
CDY
Pole Position

Good to know, thanks for the suggestions... are the op amps in the HU or the D/A converter? I'm really just interested in the component speakers and the 24-bit/192k conversion (and maybe that 2400x480 display).

Maybe a better question would be, what's your recommendation for the highest quality surround system in a SC300?
Old 11-24-07, 02:41 PM
Percy

They're located on the output section of the PXAH990 processor. The d/a has nothing to do with it, but the final analog section (where the final stage of the sound) does!

There are alot of people who will harp 24 bit vs 20 bit vs 16 bit all day and all night. When it comes down to it, if they all have a cheap output section, it won't make a darn of difference. I could put in an outstanding output on a 16 bit d/a and it will sounds worlds better than a 24 bit with a questionable output system.

As for surround systems, I wouldn't rank any one that is high, at least not in my book. There are a few two channel (non surround) systems that you can drop in that would be outstanding, but it seems as if the surround systems are trying to get away with as cheap as possible parts in their units. ML included.

Quick Reply: Which Component Speaker is better to get?