Sponsored by:

Thinking of upgrading sub in 01 GS300 for higher SQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 08:28 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1) remove stock sub, use as planter or paperweight
2) buy prefab enclosure for 10" - sounddomain.com - Obcon is a great one to get. Get sealed enclosure for your type of music.
3) mount woofer in enclosure
4) mount enclosure on trunk ledge
5) add LLC to sub wires and add your favorite amp (run new power wires (fused) from battery)
6) sit back with favorite malt beverage, pina colada, or mixed drink & enjoy

PS: I would have recommended a Boston woofer for you. Also infinity Kappa Perfect. The Alpine will work for ya though.
Old 06-29-06, 08:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
1) remove stock sub, use as planter or paperweight
2) buy prefab enclosure for 10" - sounddomain.com - Obcon is a great one to get. Get sealed enclosure for your type of music.
3) mount woofer in enclosure
4) mount enclosure on trunk ledge
5) add LLC to sub wires and add your favorite amp (run new power wires (fused) from battery)
6) sit back with favorite malt beverage, pina colada, or mixed drink & enjoy

PS: I would have recommended a Boston woofer for you. Also infinity Kappa Perfect. The Alpine will work for ya though.

ok thanx a lot man1!!
i can get a new prefab sealed 10" box for $37 CAD + tax at my local futureshop (owned by bestbuy)

may i ask what LLC is?

also is that the stock sub amp right beside the stock sub? (on the right of it)
so i just hook up those inputs to the new amp?

mmm wish i can have a pina colada now
actually i might just go ahead and make one right after this post
lol

thanx in advance too AZ-GS300
Old 06-29-06, 08:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

LLC is a line-level converter.
No, that's not the amp next to the sub, it is the plastic box that holds the rear center seatbelt.
Using an LLC, you run the existing sub wires into it, then run the output of it to a new sub amp. Do a search for LLC if you want to know more.
Old 06-29-06, 11:37 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ahaha all this time i thought lexus put a tiny pioneer amp and i thought thats the amp there

lol

so wheres the stock sub amp?
or does the sub run to the multi channel amp in the glove compartment?

or with LLC, i just run the amplified sub wires into LLC and then run LLC to new amp then new amp to new sub?
Old 06-30-06, 08:36 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
ahaha all this time i thought lexus put a tiny pioneer amp and i thought thats the amp there

lol

so wheres the stock sub amp?
or does the sub run to the multi channel amp in the glove compartment?

or with LLC, i just run the amplified sub wires into LLC and then run LLC to new amp then new amp to new sub?
has a multi channel amp so just

"or with LLC, i just run the amplified sub wires into LLC and then run LLC to new amp then new amp to new sub?"
Old 06-30-06, 09:48 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ah ok i see
it seems like LLC is fairly cheap
basically just converts pre-amplified OEM wires to RCA output right?

are all LLC made about the same?
are there any particular brands i should avoid or look for?

thank you so much
Old 06-30-06, 09:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

are all LLC made about the same?
are there any particular brands i should avoid or look for?

not all LLC are made the same. I highly recommend getting your LLC from www.davidnavone.com. He's a genius at car installation. There are a few LLC to choose from, so if you want, drop him an email and he'll usually respond back within a day.
Old 06-30-06, 01:59 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ok thanx
i just emailed him

asking him which is the LLC that i need and questions regarding shipping

before he answers me, is this what i need?
http://www.davidnavone.com/images/pr...NE7V/NE7Va.jpg
TWO CHANNEL HIGH QUALITY LINE DRIVE ADAPTER
NE-7V Introductory $19.95 (regularly $39.95)

Order NE-7V .:| Here |:.

The Navone Engineering NE-7V is a stereo, full-range speaker level to pre-amp level line output adapter with balanced and/or common outputs, full transformer isolation, an adjustable output signal level that ranges from zero up to 9.5 Volt Maximum RMS, and a powerful infrasonic filter on the bottom end. The inputs of the device connect to the car's left and right speaker leads that are provided, and the gold-plated RCA female chassis mount outputs feed into the input of an aftermarket equalizer, electronic crossover, or power amplifier. The fully isolated circuitry eliminates DC ground loops and provides excellent coupling with a high input impedance. The source impedance of the Navone Engineering NE-7V is low enough to be considered a competition grade component. The output range adjustment (0 to 9.5 Volts) permits a wide range of OEM decks to perfectly interface with a wide range of aftermarket components. However, we highly recommend leaving the trim pots at the MAX level. To optimize the signal and minimize the system noise, we also recommend using the Autosound 2000 Test Disc CD#104, Level Setting, to perfectly set up your syst***s gain structure.
Old 06-30-06, 06:33 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Hope these are what you needed:

edit:
Personally, I HATE prefab boxes. Unless they're designed with a specific sub in mind or they're the right size for the sub you choose. A sub will sound so much better in a properly sized/designed enclosure. They can work. But they generally aren't as efficient.

LLC's convert high level (re: speaker level) signals. Since subs are generally designed to handle more power, make sure you get an LLC that will handle the additional power. You can't pull preamplified sub signals since they don't exist. The amplifier is the whole signal processor as well.

Last edited by AZ-GS300; 06-30-06 at 06:43 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 06-30-06, 06:50 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
edit:
Personally, I HATE prefab boxes. Unless they're designed with a specific sub in mind or they're the right size for the sub you choose. A sub will sound so much better in a properly sized/designed enclosure. They can work. But they generally aren't as efficient.

If you buy a GOOD prefab box like Obcon, there's no difference. You always MUST get the correct size box for your enclosure. (There is usually a range, not just one size.) Prefab or not has little to do with efficiency. Ported vs. sealed will have a greater effect.
Old 06-30-06, 08:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Most LLC will have enough output for the amp's preout. The sub doesn't pull power from the LLC so no need to get a really expensive one. The only thing you really need to look for is the output, the amount of channels, and such. It'll vary from applications to applications. The one you picked will work in your case, unless you plan to add another amp(s) for your mids later on.
Old 07-01-06, 01:30 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

thanx everyone

and thank you very much for the pics AZ-GS300

heres the prefab box i got
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0061802&catid=

external size is about 1.7 cubic ft

my friend has a class D bazooka amp that he can sell me
and a free LLC that he can give me too

things are going alright now
with LLC, do i have to keep the pots on the amp at max?
or doesnt matter?

also must I remove the stock sub?
i wouldnt mind keeping the trunk sealed to create an even more tighter base
ill disconnect it but leave it in the rear dash

would that cause any problems?

also should i keep the sub pointing towards the door of the trunk?
or towards the side?

Last edited by UberNoob; 07-01-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 10:05 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i tried fitting the empty box in the trunk

it fits that insert in the trunk pretty darn well
takes up half of that space

i would say its a great fit and it doesnt slide around with the carpets getting enuf grip

so should i keep the stock sub in the panel to keep the trunk sealed or take it out?
Old 07-06-06, 03:22 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most LLC will have enough output for the amp's preout. The sub doesn't pull power from the LLC so no need to get a really expensive one. The only thing you really need to look for is the output, the amount of channels, and such. It'll vary from applications to applications. The one you picked will work in your case, unless you plan to add another amp(s) for your mids later on.
LLC = line level converter. These take the high level (i.e. amplified) signals from the head unit/amplifier (those signals that normally feed actual speakers) and output them in the 2, 4, or 6V signals that the amplifier RCA inputs read. Your biggest concern is whether the LLC will handle the amount of power the source lines are outputting. If you put the LLC near enough the amp, you can have any amount of output. It won't matter. You would simply match the output of the LLC via the amplifier's gain control.

[/quote]
thanx everyone

and thank you very much for the pics AZ-GS300
No problem.
heres the prefab box i got
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...10061802&catid=

external size is about 1.7 cubic ft
Extermal dimensions are pretty much worthless. You really need to be concerned about internal dimensions. Just be sure the sub you buy is happy in that size box. Don't forget to include basket space when figuring final internal dimension.
my friend has a class D bazooka amp that he can sell me and a free LLC that he can give me too

things are going alright now
with LLC, do i have to keep the pots on the amp at max?
NO! To properly set gains, you turn them down as far as they'll go. Then, you turn the stereo volume up to roughly 3/4 max volume. Then you turn the gains up until you notice distortion. Then back off slightly.
or doesnt matter?
It matters very much if you really are going for SQ and speaker and amp life.
also must I remove the stock sub?
You don't have to, but I would.
i wouldnt mind keeping the trunk sealed to create an even more tighter base
Tight bass is created mostly in the box. And with the speaker in the way, you're more likely to get a muffled sound.
ill disconnect it but leave it in the rear dash
That's kind of like unplugging your old TV and setting the new TV on top of it.
would that cause any problems?
Not really. But the sound quality will suffer slightly.
also should i keep the sub pointing towards the door of the trunk?
Personal preference really.
or towards the side?
I'd remove the stock sub and fire the new sub out the old hole. But you're more than welcome to experiment with placement and orientation until you get the sound you are looking for.
Old 07-06-06, 08:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
LLC = line level converter. These take the high level (i.e. amplified) signals from the head unit/amplifier (those signals that normally feed actual speakers) and output them in the 2, 4, or 6V signals that the amplifier RCA inputs read. Your biggest concern is whether the LLC will handle the amount of power the source lines are outputting. If you put the LLC near enough the amp, you can have any amount of output. It won't matter. You would simply match the output of the LLC via the amplifier's gain control.
In most cases, a high quality LLC should be able to handle the output of most, if not all headunits of today. You should only be concerned with the LLC's input if you plan to place the LLC {i]after[/i] the stock amp. If you place it before the amp, but after the deck, the LLC will handle it, and most likely reduce distortion since the stock amp induces distortion. Actually, anything after the headunit will induce distortion, but who knows if it's audible

Quick Reply: Thinking of upgrading sub in 01 GS300 for higher SQ