Sponsored by:

Need help hooking up a AVIC-D1 by replacing a Nakamichi HU

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 09:15 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks hameed.

when are you installing the avic-d1? when you do, i'll be asking some questions. are you going to connect the parking brake feature? do you know of a bypass so you can change address on the fly while driving. i think the current set up is that you have to stop the car and put on the parking brake in order to change the address.
Old 05-17-06, 09:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by corkycal
thanks hameed.

when are you installing the avic-d1? when you do, i'll be asking some questions.
If the nav comes before Friday, I will be installing it this weekend.
are you going to connect the parking brake feature? do you know of a bypass so you can change address on the fly while driving. i think the current set up is that you have to stop the car and put on the parking brake in order to change the address.
Take the wire that is hooked up to the parking brake and ground it. This fools the system into thinking the parking brake is always on and allows you to access the functions as if you are parked while driving.

Parking brake signal wire is in the same plug if you want to use it- pin 17- orange
Old 05-17-06, 09:37 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

no need hook up the parking brake wire if an easy solution is to ground it. if you're going this route, i guess you'll know if this will work or not.

looking forward to the pictures if you're going to be installing it soon.

did you get a carson oem dash kit with brackets?

maybe do a write up once this is done?
Old 05-17-06, 10:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

no need hook up the parking brake wire if an easy solution is to ground it. if you're going this route, i guess you'll know if this will work or not.
You're right. Will probably just end up grounding that wire instead

looking forward to the pictures if you're going to be installing it soon.

did you get a carson oem dash kit with brackets?
No, I bought the GS dash kit from the store I bought the nav from, which is basically the same one that Carson sells.

maybe do a write up once this is done?
Ofcourse I will - a very detailed one with lots of pics too.
Old 05-17-06, 07:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This definitely works for Eclipse AVN units, doesn't work for Alpine, and I dunno for Pioneer AVIC.
Old 05-17-06, 09:57 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

i've also read to bypass the h/u is to stick an extra wire into the open slot of the d1 harness and ground both parking brake and the extra wire. again, not sure if this will work or not.
Old 05-18-06, 06:45 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hameed ...email sent!
Old 05-21-06, 10:12 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

hameed, any updates on the install? curious to see if the bypass function worked or not.
Old 05-22-06, 07:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

hameed, any updates on the install? curious to see if the bypass function worked or not.
The nav did not come on Friday last weekend, just the delivery slip. I pick up the nav from the Post Office tomorrow. The install will be this coming weekend.
Old 05-22-06, 07:33 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

hameed,

can you answer these questions after the install.

1. where did you place the gps antenna?
2. are you going to use an aftermarket harness or are you going to tap into the stock harness. which wires are you going to use to connect into the d1.
3. let us know if the bypass function works

thanks
Old 05-23-06, 03:01 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats cool Hameed, post some pics,

I am in the market of getting a navi system, and i am debating on which one to get,
the
Eclpise AVN 6600, i know it doesnot have a hd, but its fine

Pioneer AVIC-Z1, this has a 7in screen too

so i need some help, i know eclipse is a great company, but i would like some input as far as user friendliness, ease of use, capabilites, options, etc....

i know both of these have a bunch of addons, but in the begining I want a very nice unit then the addons will come.

Last edited by GSspeed; 05-23-06 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 09:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSspeed
I am in the market of getting a navi system, and i am debating on which one to get,
the
Eclpise AVN 6600, i know it doesnot have a hd, but its fine

Pioneer AVIC-Z1, this has a 7in screen too

so i need some help, i know eclipse is a great company, but i would like some input as far as user friendliness, ease of use, capabilites, options, etc....

i know both of these have a bunch of addons, but in the begining I want a very nice unit then the addons will come.
Just got the Eclipse AVN6600, but I don't have it hooked up yet. Probably weeks away from that, as I'm doing suspension mods & paint first.
Old 05-24-06, 04:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Just got the nav in last night. Started taking the car apart and looking at the wire harnesses and getting a little confused.

Will study the installation manual some more today....................
Old 05-25-06, 07:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I spent an hour on Tuesday night and 1.5 hours last night. Got the console apart (with some help from RMMGS4 - thanks bro! ) and took out the Nak HU last night.

Now when I look at the all the wires, i know exactly which ones go where, except for three wires.......

Some questions I hope you guys can help me figure out:
Wiring Questions
1. The NAK HU had two thick (one is thicker than the other) black cables that pulled straight out. One is the antenna wire (as engin_ear pointed out above) and I have no idea what the other one is.......... Does anyone know what the other black wire is for?

2. Looking at the manual (please look at page 9 of this manual http://www.prudensconsulting.com/doc...ion_Manual.pdf ) -
- The Yellow wire I guess has to be connected to the negative terminal of the battery? Please confirm this.
- The Red wire (to electric terminal controlled by ignition switch). Which is the corresponding wire in the car I need to connect this to?
- Orange/white wire - to lighting switch terminal. To which corresponding wire in the car should I connect this to?

3. Now if you look at page 10 of the manual, you will see that the Blue wire is to be connected to the Auto-antenna relay control terminal. If the vehicle has a glass antenna (which the GS has), connect to the antenna booster power supply terminal.

Which corresponding wire in the car should I be connecting this blue terminal to?

Here are the other two manuals that came with the system (not sure if anyone needs to look at these to help me with my questions).

Operation Manual - http://www.prudensconsulting.com/doc...ion_Manual.pdf
Hardware Manual - http://www.prudensconsulting.com/doc...are_Manual.pdf

Amplifier Questions
I am starting to feel brave about this install and want to swap out the existing amp with the Zapco C2K-2.5X .

It's specs are:
Power per channel - 2 channel mode THD
30 watts x 4 @ 4ohm, 20 - 20kHz .01%
60 watts x 4 @ 2ohm .02%
100 watts x 4 @ 1ohm .05%

This will be to power the front and rear door speakers (I am thinking of not using the rear speakers at all to maintain the sound stage of the system at the front of the car - not decided yet on which direction to take).

And for the Subwoofer - I have the Zapco C2K-2.0X - its specs are:
Power per channel - 2 channel mode THD
50 watts x 2 @ 4ohm, 20 - 20kHz .01%
100 watts x 2 @ 2ohm .02%
160 watts x 2 @ 1ohm .05%

I haven't the faintest clue about how to hook up the amps as per the specs above......

Can someone please give me some pointers on how to connect these two amps? Is it just a straightforward RCA cables into the amps from the HU and then a second set of RCA cables to the speakers? I also have aftermarket speakers and tweeters that I want to swap out the front speakers with.

The GS is not my daily driver, so I can continue to do this install while it sits in the garage and do this install bit by bit with help from you guys and try to finish this install myself in a reasonable fashion.

Last edited by Hameed; 05-25-06 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 09:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Talking Nooooo

Good thing you asked Hameed
BTW, it was on page 10, not 9.

1. YELLOW- goes to constant 12v, like the + battery terminal
2. RED- is the remote turn on, the accessory, it turns on with the key in ignition. Usually blue in other units, but pioneer uses red. With your bulb tester, clip the alligator plug to a metal body/neg and use the pointy end to look for the power. Should light up with key in "accessory" and turn off when take key out or in off position. Can't remember if it's brown or grey or some other color in the lexus radio harness. Some people use the wire directly behind the key ignition.
3. ORange/white -illumination. In the past, I have never hooked this up. The unit still lights up regardless
4. BLACK- ground, the (-), keep it as short as possible, usually less than 12". Make sure it's a good one b/c this can contribute to engine noise also, along with keeping the power cord and the rca's away from each other.

If you hooked the yellow to negative.............POP! There goes a fuse

That large black cable is for antenna input into the d1. Don't worry about the bottom smaller black cable. I just plug the regular antenna size into the hu, had no signal problems at all. I believe the power signal for the glass antenna is independent, so don't have to look for it to supply the power.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-25-06 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help hooking up a AVIC-D1 by replacing a Nakamichi HU