Sponsored by:

Navigation: DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 12:34 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mokujin,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. Mine is version 2000 & it came with my 2001 GS430 purchased in July of this year.

This afternoon I checked with the parts department of my dealer. He said they have received 2-3 notices from Lexus that an update is coming, but has been unable to get a date.

I think that Lexus should do MUCH better. Say what you want about Bill Gates, but when he says product X will be on the shelves by MM/DD/YY, it is there THEN. And he tells us this months in advance.

PLEASE, let's not turn this thread into a discussion about Bill or Microsoft. I use the above example for Lexus to use as a benchmark in its Passionate Pursuit of Perfection, not as a broad endorsement of Bill Gates or Microsoft.
Old 09-26-01, 03:00 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Question

So, there still no information on when upgrade will be available?

Last edited by joedoe; 09-27-01 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-26-01, 11:35 PM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Talking

Didnt microsoft just postpone (sp?) the release of the x-box a week or two? Just a thought.
Old 09-27-01, 02:15 PM
joedoe
Rookie

Smile

I didn't get that.
What Microsoft has to do with the Lexus navigation system upgrade?
Old 09-28-01, 04:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Just talked with my Lexus Dealer Friend, he said there is supposed a updated version for GS/LS/RX/LX Nav DVD update from Lexus before the end of the year. He has no detailed date yet. He deso not know how close it will be compare the one offered on new ES. He invited me go there some time next month to try the ES DVD disk on my GS to see if that works. If so, he can order a disk for me. I would think that should work since the DVD really holds the map database. The only thing could have possible impact would be the hard control button like "Menu", "Info", etc. soft buttons are touch screen type should be programmed with the database. I did noticed that on new ES, buttons like "Menu" are touch screen as well. I let everyone know how that goes.
Old 10-03-01, 06:22 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trip computer and consumption options on my 98 gs4 with Nav are SO VERY far superior to my 2001. And, once you turn off the '01 Nav's tendency to always switch back to the map, it switches back to it everytime you start the car! Why won't it stay on audio when I don't want to use the map 5 days a week? Lists of refuel dates, mileage, consumption, all gone. And the service/anniversary reminder feature on the 2001; great idea, except you will only see these warnings if you KEEP it on the MAP or make sure the transition to the MAP is always on, which still requires an I AGREE button press every trip. Why no outside temperature on every screen? There is plenty of room. If you're going to waste an entire 7" screen to show me track information, at least make it big! If not, make the temp punch through to every screen like it should. It is crap. And the voice, even on the loudest setting, is half as loud as the 98-00. The 98-2000 NAV works like an aircraft. . .the '01-'03 system is a luxury toy.

The actual map has improved, however, and it shows alternate routes before you lock it in and start your trip. But that's it. Everything else about the system suqs.

Does the ES300 DVD fix any of this? Why did they dumb down the Nav for '01-on when dumb people don't order the Nav option? And the ones who do order it know what they are doing.

I wait with baited breath on this update.
Old 10-10-01, 12:33 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

FYI

On 10/3/01 I sent to:
Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com

the following:

"I purchased a 2001 Lexus GS 430 from Lexus of Ann Arbor (Michigan) in July of this year. The Navigation system DVD is version 2000.

Please tell me when an update will be available."

On 10/5/01 I received the following answer:

"Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. The newest Navigation System update will be available this fall. At which point, you can contact your local Lexus dealer and have the update performed."

On 10/5/01 I sent the following reply:

"Is it possible to provide a more precise date? It's now fall (the "point" you mentioned), I have contacted my dealer & he has no knowledge of timing.

Is there way for me to learn of the update's availability other than weekly phone calls to my dealer?"

As of 10/10/01, no reply from Lexus.

I think that this is pretty sad treatment of a customer who seeks support for a $3,000 option. In my view, it falls far short of a passionate pursuit of perfection.

Does anyone know of a way to get the update information?
Old 10-11-01, 07:31 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

I'm going to the Big Gray Void for the weekend with my girlfriend. Oh wait, I mean Canada. I guess it would be asking too much to include even bordering cities like Windsor.
Old 10-13-01, 07:00 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Talked with local Parts Manager yesterday. He said that Lexus has been having problems making the update work properly. He estimates availability date to be mid-November.
Old 10-13-01, 07:27 PM
hzhao
Racer

Just talked with my dealer and looked the DVD on 2002 GS, it has coverage for Canada and French speaking option, it is new one just like the one on new ES. I am going to stop at Dealer on next Monday and try the new DVD disk on my 2001 GS, to see if that works. I don't see the major problem. The new DVD has the Version number of 2001 Ver.1 on the Disk.
Old 10-14-01, 08:51 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

I drove 4 hours from Ohio to find out I wasn't allowed into Canada. . .you need a birth certificate or passport since Sept 11th. Having a Russian girlfriend didn't help either. Oh well.

Anyway, how much is the upgrade? When will it be available? Since it is a data-grade DVD, what's stopping people from copying it?
Old 10-14-01, 02:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

The DVD update cost about $160 per dealer, but the final price has not been released. Even though the DVD is the data disk, but the drive firmwire on the NAV could prevent the read any type DVD-R or DVD-RW disks. Since there is still the luck of agreed standard among DVD-RAM manufactories, there is great chance the the copied DVD is only readable by the drive that made it.

I am think about to copy the DVD disk on 2002 GS and try it on 2001 GS to see if that works in a later time.
Old 10-16-01, 08:36 AM
MMM
Rookie

Good luck trying to copy a dual-sided, dual-layer DVD. A DVD9-R will be really tough to find!

MMM
Old 10-16-01, 11:27 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Question

Does it have a Dolby Digital soundtrack and director's commentary? What is taking up 9.4 gigs of space that 4.7 won't hold? The hard drive system this replaces was a fraction of the size. I could see it being a dual-layer single-side at most, but even that I would highly doubt without proof
Old 10-16-01, 12:57 PM
MMM
Rookie

Originally posted by RocketSlug
Does it have a Dolby Digital soundtrack and director's commentary? What is taking up 9.4 gigs of space that 4.7 won't hold? The hard drive system this replaces was a fraction of the size. I could see it being a dual-layer single-side at most, but even that I would highly doubt without proof
Let me correct myself: The system uses a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM (DVD9).

1. Does it have a DD soundtrack and director's commentary?
Obviously not. It's not a movie. It's a navigation system DVD-ROM.

2. What is taking up 9.4 gigs of space that 4.7 won't hold?
Actually, DVD9 is about 8.5GB, so that makes DVD9 capable of holding twice as much as DVD5.

3. The hard drive system was a 1.2GB laptop hard drive containing only NavTech map data. The new system contains NavTech + GDT map data for the entire USA and Canada (NavTech only).

4. Proof? The system uses Denso's KIWI database format - the same used by Pioneer and Kenwood aftermarket systems. You can check out these links to see if they are using dual layer DVDs:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,2304,00.html
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...?productId=747
http://www.kenwood.nl/products/superior-system.html

Additionally, Alpine is also using a dual layer DVD, although not using the Denso KIWI database. If I'm not mistaken, all DVD based navigation systems in the US are utilizing dual layer DVD-ROMs for full US coverage.

As I said, good luck copying a DVD9.

MMM

Quick Reply: Navigation: DVD Update