Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

1" Tweeter Recommendations?

Old 09-06-05, 09:30 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" Tweeter Recommendations?

Just had my passenger side Nakamichi 1" tweeter blow. Anyone know of a good replacement? Thanks.
Old 09-06-05, 09:32 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try a Dynaudio MD100 tweeter. You'll have to take it out of it's casing but the sound is VERY good.

Percy
Old 09-06-05, 09:44 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response. I'll look into them - any idea how much these run $?
Old 09-06-05, 10:11 PM
Percy

Probably a couple hundred per pair. They're worth it though, especially if the mounting location is up by the a-pillars. Metal dome tweeters can sound too harsh in that location.

Percy
Old 09-21-05, 11:36 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Percy,
What's your opinion on these? They seem to be reviewed well and are more along the lines of what I would like to spend. They are 8ohm - is this the same as our Nak tweets?

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....20915&pid=637
Old 09-22-05, 02:17 PM
Percy

Looking at the spec sheet...there's a noticable rise above 10khz. The graph doesn't really show how well or how poor it will handle transients. For that I would need a decay graph, which they don't have. I'm also usually very cautious about aluminum or titanium dome tweeters as they all have a "ringing" to them. Causes the ears to fatigue rather rapidly. The "ringing" is similar to the door panels of a cheap car...hit them and it'll make a high pitched noise. If you add some mass to them (not really a good idea in a tweeter) then the ring will be absorbed. But, ALL metal dome or metal ribbon tweeters that I've listened to have ended up in the reject pile. Soft domes (textile/silk) like the ones from /a/d/s or the ones from Dyn have been pretty much the mainstay of my systems. They don't fatigue the ears nearly as much as the metal domes.

Even though the price is affordable, your ears will more than likely pay for it in the long run. I'd save up for the Dyns or anything with a textile/silk dome. They don't have the ringing problem.

8 ohms should work out fine. The GS uses 4 ohm tweets in the stock a-pillar location.

Percy
Old 09-22-05, 03:01 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply Percy.
Old 09-22-05, 04:37 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomis
Thanks for the reply Percy.

I have a pair of stock Nak tweets if youre interested??
Old 09-22-05, 11:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Nomis, the LPG tweeters are great. Though it comes with an aluminum diagphram, you'll really need to hear it to draw any conclusion about them. They do not sound metallic, harsh, bright, or have ringing in them. They are not really fatiguing, even when crossed over at about 3.0khz, where a lot of other tweeters will fail the test

Also, since you looked at the LPG, it seems as if you were not planning to spend too much money on tweeters. These LPGs would be great for you, unless you want to step up to the Seas Lotus Reference Fabric/aluminum ($110 each)

http://www.mobilesq.com/store/produc...products_id=37

The fabric tweeters are very smooth, but rolls off a bit earlier on the top end, which is where the aluminum tweeters shines. A lot of people have success with these, but like with any other tweeters, you'll want to tune them to get the best out of them.

I was about to get them too! . Very awesome piece of tweeters.
Old 10-05-05, 10:03 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Gsteg, thanks for the reply. You are right on the money, I was to replace my factory Nak tweets without spending an arm and a leg - under $65 for the pair. I may still go with the LPG's. What are you all's opinion on the CDT Audio tweets? I was thinking about the TW24 - heard some good things:
http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merc...ory_Code=CDTSF
Old 10-07-05, 03:57 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Anyone like the CDT TW24 tweets?
Old 10-07-05, 04:21 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Percy
Try a Dynaudio MD100 tweeter. You'll have to take it out of it's casing but the sound is VERY good.

Percy

Old 01-01-06, 11:11 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Default Follow Up:

I ended up going with the CDT Audio TW-19 series 3/4" silk dome tweets. The funny thing is - when I got in there to replace them I noticed that the factory Nak tweet plug was not plugged in all the way - that would explain why it was cutting in and out I must have missed this when I puting everything back together after replacing the pax side window regulator. I went ahead and replaced them both anyhow and am quite pleased with the results - chrystal clear highs and vocals with none of the 'tinny' or metallic sound. I mounted the new tweets to the factory brakets and they fit in behind the stock grill nicely. I also like the fact that they swivel in their mounts making positioning easy.
Old 01-01-06, 11:45 AM
Percy

The soundstage should have gotten better too after the tweeter replacement. For some reason the grilles on the tweeters (NOT the ones on the A pillar) seem to have more directional focus...not a good thing when you're trying to replicate a good audio enviroment.

Glad you went for the softdomes. I have heard rumors that there are metal domes that have been properly damped...gotta find out more before posting.

Percy