Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 01:40 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?

Looks like this will be my next car audio purchase, to replace my aging Clarion unit with the lame 8 character display that I've incessantly complained about for 3 years. Was just wondering what the opinions were. This unit has a nice display (even though I'd prefer a matching green backlight), and seems to be getting good reviews on Crutchfield. Geez, I'll even get to replace Mr. Big Honkin' Antenna with the sleeker newer one, that is provided I can figure out how to get the dang thing off my roof without pulling paint with it.

Looky here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jDCmzdK...950&I=607SCFM1
Old 03-15-05, 04:26 PM
kabrera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Jog Shuttle.. I'd wait for something better.
Old 03-15-05, 06:28 PM
gekisai29
Driver

putting one in next week after having xm for past few years. btw am keeping xm in my other car &office so i'll let you know more on a comparison basis in a few weeks.
Old 03-15-05, 07:49 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did you mount the antenna on the outside? I mounted mine on the rear decklid next to the brake light and it works perfect. Plus with tinted windows it cant be seen, which is even better. I really hate when I see cars with these antennas mounted on the outside. It looks horrible
Old 03-15-05, 10:41 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sirius Star Base

Originally Posted by engin_ear
engin_ear.....

I'm about a month too late, as usual. But I know a perfect place to put the tuner, in the SunGlasses holder.

I recently had to buy an outdated Audiovox tuner, small enough to fit the pocket of the holder, because that's the only one I could find.

When the VaisTech unit arrives, which will eliminate the FM modulator I'll also have the installer replace the Audiovox with the Sirius Starbase you mentioned.

~ Cap
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-05, 10:46 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Audiovox

Audiovox Installation
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?-siriusinstall.gif  
Old 03-16-05, 09:53 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Capirato:
Wow - I love that spot for the controller install. Only problem in my case is that the GS doesn't have a sunglasses holder (sunroof is there). Meanwhile, I'm trying to find out from my connections at Sirius what company actually manufactures the Starbase unit.
Old 03-16-05, 09:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
why did you mount the antenna on the outside? I mounted mine on the rear decklid next to the brake light and it works perfect. Plus with tinted windows it cant be seen, which is even better. I really hate when I see cars with these antennas mounted on the outside. It looks horrible
I hear ya - I pretty much agree, which is why I had mine painted to match body color. Maybe I WILL put the new one on the rear deck. I have tinted windows as well, but I think my tint film is metallized. Do you know if yours is?...

Terk also told me how to get the antenna off - you use dental floss underneath and break the adhesive, then use alcohol to get the remaining adhesive off. Pretty simple.
Old 03-22-05, 08:45 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Low Profile

Geez, I'll even get to replace Mr. Big Honkin' Antenna with the sleeker newer one,
The Antenna measures 2 x 2 3/8 x 5/8.

~ Cap
Old 03-31-05, 12:01 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?

Looks like this will be my next car audio purchase, to replace my aging Clarion unit with the lame 8 character display that I've incessantly complained about for 3 years. Was just wondering what the opinions were. This unit has a nice display (even though I'd prefer a matching green backlight), and seems to be getting good reviews on Crutchfield. Geez, I'll even get to replace Mr. Big Honkin' Antenna with the sleeker newer one, that is provided I can figure out how to get the dang thing off my roof without pulling paint with it.

Looky here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jDCmzdK...950&I=607SCFM1
Had the Starbase installed today with the VaisTech module. Replaced the outdated Audio Vox.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?-sirus2.gif  
Old 03-31-05, 08:04 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Got any pics of the antenna? How'd u run the wire from the lid to the back seat area? Mine' s on the deck lid also but in the corner Couldn't figure out how to get the wire run from near the sub/brake light area.
Old 03-31-05, 10:25 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I just picked it up on Monday, will hopefully be installed this weekend - planning to fit it into my ashtray.
Old 03-31-05, 11:34 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Capirato
Had the Starbase installed today with the VaisTech module. Replaced the outdated Audio Vox.

~ Cap
Cap:
So what's your first impressions? Curious to hear.
Jerry.
Old 03-31-05, 01:11 PM
Capirato
Racer

Cap:
So what's your first impressions? Curious to hear.
Jerry.
Jerry.....

First impression is good. Haven't had time to do any programming. Reception is better. There is a road (I live in a hilly area with winding roads and tall trees) where Sirius used to drop out a couple of times for a second or so. Didn't notice any drop out today.

Of course, the fidelity is great with the VaisTech module. Also, I got the AM back which was very noisy before. The antenna had stuff attached to it by a TV receiver and the Sirius radio. Now the antenna is OEM.

~ Cap
Old 03-31-05, 02:33 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Cap:
I'm guessing that the reception has not improved because of the antenna, it is because the newer receivers are using the latest chipset from Sirius, and they are doing better buffer management that allows better handling of signal dropouts.
Let us know what you think of navigating around the menus, especially while driving...
Jerry.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the Sirius Starbase unit yet?