Sponsored by:

Speaker swap -- I GIVE UP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-04, 11:39 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Speaker swap -- I GIVE UP!!!!!

Okay. I had an ongoing meeting with Mr. Murphy over the last few days (you know, Mr. Murphy, the one who created that law known as Murphy's law). I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The plan was to replace the stock Pioneer front door speakers with Boston Acoustics SL60 6.5 components. I did everything by the book. I built the 1/2 inch mdf boards, padded them on both sides with headliner, bought good quality Monster speaker wire, etc., etc. I gave myself plenty of slack in the wire so I would have room to work. I basically dotted every "i" and crossed every "t." I finally got the new speakers in last night (driver's side only at first). It sounded awseome. So much better than the stock 4 inchers (and plenty of power too, I might add). However, the one thing I forgot to check was TO MAKE SURE THAT THE CROSSOVER FIT IN THE DOOR!!!!!!! Apparently, the Boston crossover is much bigger than the Polk, Dynaudio or other brands. There was no where it would fit where the the door panel would go back on the door. I SUCK. I was up until 1 a.m. putting everything back to stock. What a freaking moron I am. That should have been the first thing I checked. Any suggestions?

e-man
Old 09-06-04, 09:23 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Worse comes to worse, you could always take them out of their housings. That'll give you more room. Just make sure that ALL the connections are insulated, especially on the back of the xover board.

How big are the xovers?

Percy
Old 09-06-04, 10:35 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks, Percy. It's funny that you suggested that, because that's the exact solution I was working on this morning. I cut out the right side of the speaker board to countersink the crossovers (without the covers on). The guts of the crossover will be exposed on the backside of the board. I will cover the exposed portion with electrical tape and then headliner foam. I think it should be okay. The crossovers are about 10 inches long, 4 inches wide and 3-4 inches tall. I'll let you know how it works out.

e-man
Old 09-06-04, 11:57 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, boston xovers are huge. did you take the platic cover off to see if you could fit it in? i know its deeps as hell, but when you take off the cover its not to bad. what kind of headunit do you have? i know some alpines can be used as cross overs and you dont even need the xovers that speakers come with.
Old 09-06-04, 04:00 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks. I think with the covers off, the crossover will fit into the area behind the mdf board (where the window is). I will post pictures of the installation when I'm done.

e-man
Old 09-12-04, 06:03 AM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should see the crossovers on the a/d/s 346is. They look like they're at least 6"x8", which is the reason I'm having a hard time deciding on which 6 1/2's to buy.
Old 09-12-04, 06:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally posted by e-man
Thanks. I think with the covers off, the crossover will fit into the area behind the mdf board (where the window is). I will post pictures of the installation when I'm done.

e-man
I'm in the process of getting some trunk work done on my GS and part of that entails rewiring the Dynaudios in my door. My original installer mounted the crossovers in the doors for the Dyn's without the cover and there was a little bit of corrosion/rust/something on the screw heads when the current guy took them out. I don't have the covers for them anymore, so he decided to put them inside the car (behind rear seat) instead.

Quick pic of the Dyn xovers, nothing to show scale but I'd guess it's 3x5:

I don't know 'what bad happens' long term if they'd stayed in that condition, or (God forbid) get fully wet in the doors somehow.
Old 09-12-04, 11:48 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Hey Dave. Please take a look at the following thread and let me know if you think there' s a chance of corrosion. Thanks.

e-man

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=133495