Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

IPOD in 2005 ES330 with Navigation + Levinson?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 04:50 PM
mikel51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD in 2005 ES330 with Navigation + Levinson?

Just brought a 2005 ES330 into the family. It has the Nav + Levinson stereo. Now I want to figure out how to attach an IPOD. I read a couple of threads about doing this in an SC430 and LS430 that involve cutting into the line that feed music from the head unit and installing a switch that allow infusion of the signal as well as converting the unbalanced signal from the Ipod into a balanced signal for the Levinson system.

Has anybody done a similar install for an ES330. Since this Levinson system is so much less expensive than the LS and SC systems, I wonder if they really use the same type of configuration.

I would consider disconnecting the 6 CD changer in the console to install the IPOD since I won't need 6 CDs once the IPOD is installed.
Old 08-22-04, 07:23 PM
hawk
Driver

iTrip FM transmitter ----much easier and far less invasive.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

it prolly wouldn't be nearly the quality if you were to use a fm modulator, i'd bet.

i'm sure people with a lot more experience will be able to chime in

best o' luck.
Old 08-28-04, 11:05 AM
mikel51
Driver School Candidate

I am only interested in the FM modulator route as a last resort. I would much prefer to hardwire. Logjam electronics, who sold me a blitzsafe for my Acura MDX with Nav, says that there is no interface available for a Lexus with Nav.

Still looking.
Old 08-31-04, 07:38 PM
ratLh8r
Driver School Candidate

The FM modulator essentially is a hardwire. The FM transmitter isn't...

I just installed XM Radio in my GS430 with an FM modulator - there is zero interference.
Old 08-31-04, 10:30 PM
hawk
Driver

does an fm modulator have rca inputs (as i'm 99% sure it does)? if so, then use what i use for my laptop connection to my home stereo. it's a cord that has a plug on one end that fits a headphone jack and rca jacks on the other end......just a thought, hope it helps
Old 09-01-04, 05:24 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a picture of the back of my 2004 ES330 Nav. There is a digital input and an FM modulator should work. You can also hardwire it in through the one of the many ports available. If you don't install an XM, then look at the wiring diagram on a repair manual and use that port (It's the 12 pin connector).

You can order the wiring pigtail through Lexus or fabricate your own using computer motherboard connectors.

The yellow box is where the XM "Y" connector attaches.
The pinkish box is not used. I think it's for a reverse camera and microphone.
The teal box are the antennae connectors.
The green box is what may be a digital input. It looks like a connector for my home stereo.
Attached Thumbnails IPOD in 2005 ES330 with Navigation + Levinson?-4.jpg  

Last edited by iammikey; 09-01-04 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 04:50 AM
jp82729
Rookie

Originally posted by iammikey
Here's a picture of the back of my 2004 ES330 Nav. There is a digital input and an FM modulator should work. You can also hardwire it in through the one of the many ports available. If you don't install an XM, then look at the wiring diagram on a repair manual and use that port (It's the 12 pin connector).

You can order the wiring pigtail through Lexus or fabricate your own using computer motherboard connectors.

The yellow box is where the XM "Y" connector attaches.
The pinkish box is not used. I think it's for a reverse camera and microphone.
The teal box are the antennae connectors.
The green box is what may be a digital input. It looks like a connector for my home stereo.
The connector in the yellow box is the aux audio input (from XM, or CD changer)
The connectors in the pink box are for rear seat entertainment ( the blue one) and the back up camera (the white one)
The connector in the green box is the GPS antenna connector
Old 09-06-04, 09:24 AM
mikel51
Driver School Candidate

I have the 6 CD changer in the console between the front seats. Does this plug into the 12 pin plug outlined by the yellow box? If so, would it be easier to remove the 6 CD changer and figure out how to wire the ipod in there--I would probably want to keep the Ipod in that center console anyway. Then I might have to do much less disassembly (and since this is my wife's car, she might not like me messing up her new Lexus). Does the toyota 12 pin standard plug fit into this socket?

Sorry for the newbie question, but where can I get the wiring diagram for the plug? Do I have to purchase a service manual?

Does the above note that either the XM radio or the CD changer install here mean that you can't have both--that you have to choose between them (of course I would choose my ipod).

Of course it would be really great to figure out how to use the steering wheel controls to advance songs through the playlist--but that is probably beyond my scope. It would be plenty adequate for me to just input the sound.
Old 07-10-13, 08:15 AM
fmit1
Driver School Candidate

I was looking for hints on how to do this as well and I came upon this thread.

I have a 2004 ES330 with the Mark Levinson sound system system with the dvd navigation flip down screen. I have done a little research and found a few videos (like this one:
) showing how the process might go. My main question is however, because my system has the navigation, how would this effect me selecting/trying to hook up an iPod kit? Would it be as simple as the above video makes it seem or does the dvd navigation system require additional/different steps?

If anyone can suggest a good iPod connector kit and offer any hints on how to get it installed I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-13, 11:46 AM
2jzsc4
Driver School Candidate

look into isimple products or just do a hardwired fm modulator. which means no static at all .
Old 10-16-14, 07:52 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody know which plug on the back of the nav unit is for the external CD changer???

Thanks