Sponsored by:

Need help finding Eclipse Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 05:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Exclamation Need help finding Eclipse Backup Camera

My stereo installer screwed up and ordered a generic back up camera for me instead of the Eclipse one I asked for. Thought the generic version was smaller and a better camera.

Now that it's here, they realize they created a big problem - the backup camera link to the Eclipse HU is proprietary and only the Eclipse camera will link in. There is no adapter dongle available. The only way the generic one will work is if I give up the aux video in, and I'm not willing to do that (want to save that for a PS2, etc). I also don't want a A/B switch.

They can't get a backup camera in by my install date (this Wed / Thurs / Friday) and I'm trying urgently to locate one to overnight in for the install so I don't have to do this twice.

The item is Eclipse BEC103 . Most of their web presence is Japanese.

Anybody know either online retailers that might have this item or stores that might have one in stock?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-25-04 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 07:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thought I'd up the ante for some of our income-challenged college student members .

$20 via paypal to anyone that finds a store that physically has one of these in stock that can overnight to me in Charlotte. Payment after I place my order and it gets to Charlotte. Must be the exact Eclipse model Eclipse BEC103 .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-25-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 05:58 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If I knew where I would tell you for free. With all the answers you have given to questions to help people out. I cant even find an online store that carries eclipse radios. Im looking for the same one.

Last edited by GammaLex; 05-26-04 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 06:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks sir. I've only found one place (think it was Woofers Etc) that had any eclipse stuff online. I called them and nada. The Eclipse website is one of the worst I've ever seen and doesn't list their authorized US dealers or I'd just be calling them.

So far I've hit up Tweeter, Good Guys (they no longer carry Eclipse).
Old 05-27-04, 03:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Arg, called all the places I could find, no luck. One nice guy on IS300.net is checking with a friend of his that works at the parent company.
Old 05-27-04, 05:24 PM
steph280
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to locate one of these for the longest time as well. Being 20 miles away from Fujitsu-Ten (eclipse) US headquarter, it's strange nobody around has them. I did eventually hear Mobile Sound in North Bergen, NJ has them, but they are a stereo shop not online you'll have to call and try to convince them to mail to you.
Mobile Sound
9200 Kennedy Boulevard
North Bergen, NJ 07047
201-758-0121

Here is another interesting fact about the BEC103. It is the OEM camera for Toyota Sienna/4Runner/Sequoia/LandCruiser and Lexus RX330. It even comes with the same exact plug as BEC103 minus control box (which you don't need for Eclipse HU). So if you absolutely want this camera, you can order it from Toyota dealer (part # 86790-45010) for a hefty price of about $460.

I actually was searching for the camera since it's a direct fit into Toyota's navigation unit (probably also made by Fujitsu-Ten). And based on information on the net, I was able to use a Savv VAC-RV5000NC backup camera (looks similar but slightly longer than BEC103) and hook up to the nav unit. If you look at the plug on the back of your Eclipse, with pins labeled as follow:
2 1
4 3

pin 1 would be the center wire of RCA plug, while pin 3 is the outer shield. And I just run power wire from backup light (it is a 12V camera). Pin 2 and 4 provides the 6volts BEC103 needs, which is not used for the Savv. So theoretically, any NTSC based backup camera will work with your Eclipse HU. I chose the Savv because it has similar spec as the BEC103, which suggest they probably have the same CCD.

The SKU number for BEC103 is 132002-00700161. Your local stereo shop might have better luck looking it up with this number.

Hope these information helps. And if anybody finds online shop carrying the BEC103, please share the info.

Stephen
Old 05-27-04, 05:48 PM
steph280
Driver School Candidate

What camera did your installer order that's smaller and better than BEC103? BEC103 has been the smallest I could locate, with the Savv being slightly larger (pic below).

Thanks,

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails Need help finding Eclipse Backup Camera-savv1.jpg  
Old 05-27-04, 05:57 PM
steph280
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of the Toyota OEM camera.
Attached Thumbnails Need help finding Eclipse Backup Camera-toyota-camera.jpg  
Old 05-27-04, 06:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Stephen, this is awesome information!

I'm not sure of the brand they ordered, can find out. Since we don't have the Eclipse one in hand, I can't say for sure that its smaller or not, I'm just going on the word of the installer who speced it. It was a round cylinder about an inch and a half long, made in China. Box was white with a blue bottom.

I've never been 100% certain that there is an 'auto' feature that enables the backup camera & screen input when I stick the car into reverese. Have heard both ways & thought I'd have a better shot at it actually working with the Eclipse camera.
Old 05-28-04, 09:53 AM
steph280
Driver School Candidate

If the Eclipse HU is anything like the Toyota Navi unit, it will detect a camera is connected and switch to video as soon as you shift into reverse, assuming the rev wire is hooked up to your Eclipse. If there is no power to the camera, it'll just display black screen. You can test this by shorting pin1 and 3 then shift into reverse, or actually connect a video source such as camcorder to it. The Eclipse camera comes with a control box which has a momentary switch that will turn on the camera for 30 seconds when used with a non-Eclipse HU.

There is a long discussion on our attempt to install cameras here . It all started with a guy who found some Toyota camera dirt cheap and installed them into his Tundra. There are some pictures of the Toyota, Savv, and Eclipse in this thread which will give you some idea of size differences.

I've tried a couple of ebay Chinese made cameras before settling on the Savv. Although I don't have the one you described, make sure it has the following features:
1. Wide angle, at least 100-130 degrees so you can see both side of the bumper.
2. Waterproof
3. Low light rating or night vision.
4. REVERSE image. This is important since I couldn't use most of the camera because they have normal image.

Good luck.

Stephen