Sponsored by:

installing aftermarket cd deck in my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 07:36 PM
AndySC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing aftermarket cd deck in my car

do they make any adapter kits for the sc400? I called car toys and they said i'd have to pay 150-200 for a custom install of it.

Andy
Old 01-01-04, 08:12 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

from what ive been reading they dont make wire harnesses for our cars. i think you have to hardwire it.but what i want to know is does the sc300's have factory amps???
Old 01-01-04, 08:34 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

alright,,even though the answer is in one of the stickies, I will still answet the question. If you are wanting to know about a wiring harness, the answer is no. You will need a wiring diagram and then you will have to individually attach each wire. If you are looking for something to fill the extra 1.5 or so DIN, I think Angel from importtoys makes one for around 50 bucks. <------ I could be wrong. I just installed an aftermarket sub and amp and I still have the factory deck. If you need any help on doing that, let me know. The process is rather easy, just time consuming.

HELPFUL HINT FOR ALL---- in the plug that attatches to the sub amp (pioneer system 94 SC400) the blue wire with white stripe IS the remote turn-on lead.
Old 01-01-04, 11:44 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Pirate400
If you are looking for something to fill the extra 1.5 or so DIN, I think Angel from importtoys makes one for around 50 bucks. <------ I could be wrong.
Its Emerald. PM her and she'll get you one. They look great in my system I just got installed in the 27th. Fully reccomended.

James
Old 01-02-04, 12:52 AM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Hey James do you think you can post a pic of the insert. Thanks!
Old 01-02-04, 12:55 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

2nd on the pics.
I am going to custom fab a piece from some black plastic but for $50 if they look OK i'd defenitely get one.
Old 01-02-04, 03:36 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jet864
Its Emerald. PM her and she'll get you one. They look great in my system I just got installed in the 27th. Fully reccomended.

James

James, if you have any pics I'd like to see. What HU did you choose? I've been thinking of going aftermarket for a while now.

Last edited by Technics; 01-02-04 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-02-04, 10:55 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I went with the Alpine CVA-1000 (I know its kinda old, but pimpin on a budget ain't easy ). I think I'm getting it finished up today and having the PS2 put in. If i get some time, I'll take some pics and put em up later on today. Trust me though, this thing looks nice and clean. I got the smooth finish (harder to come by) and it goes perfect with the ashtray cover and shifter console.

James
Old 01-02-04, 01:39 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

OK, so as it turns out, I can't get the PS2 in until tomorrow, so until then, I will post up some teaser pics of the install. Tomorrow I'll have a new thread showing everything.

Basically, I saw Emerald was selling this filler piece and after talking to my installer, he said that that was going to be the hardest piece to fab, so I bought one from Emerald. On the 27th I had the install done, and after initial criticizing due the the flimsy look of the piece, the installer was impressed on how wel it did its job. Here are some pics of the head unit open and closed.

Open:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

Closed:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

Hope you like em.

James

Last edited by jet864; 01-03-04 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 07:01 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Default wiring harness

the wiring harness question is a tricky one. i used a 87+ toyota wiring harness from scosche (don't know if i spelled it correctly) and it worked fine. i heard, however, that not all sc's are compatible with it ( mine worked cept for the power antenna which i think needs to be hardwired). but, it's worth a try since it's only like 10 bucks compared to a custom job that might cost a lot of money. about the filler, i've had a gapping hole there for three months and it's been bugging me. it's impossible to find a 1.5 Din pocket b/c almost no cars have a 2.5 din radio. i've pm's emerald but i got no reply. so if ur out there emerald could u please pm me. the thing is that i don't want a filler. i want a pocket so i can get some extra space (any extra space is good for our cars ). good luck andy on ur install.

Last edited by no2faber; 01-06-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 09:11 AM
AMSC400
Driver School Candidate

if you have the sc400 w/ the nakamichi performance stereo then there is a wiring harness that you can use. it is a toyota harness. you need to uninstall your pre-existing stereo head unit and take it in another car to best buy or some other popular electronics store that offers a good selection of car audio products to find the right harness. there are 4 harnesses on the back of the original head unit you only need 1 of them if you are running your own amp, and you'll probably need to find another one for the amp. its all pretty simple, i've done all this on my own. i put a kenwood kvt911 in my sc and have pics and instructions for anyone wanting to know how to do anything.
Old 01-06-04, 09:07 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Default sc300

well i have an sc300 with the regular pioneer radio. the toyota scosche harness worked fine for me on my aftermarket HU. the scosche harness used two of the original 4 harnesses. for my radio i'm pretty sure u need two harnesses for it to work, even if ur not using the factory amp anymore. check the wiring diagrams and you'll see. the nak is different from the pioneer so be careful which one you look at.
Old 01-08-04, 12:21 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

AMS SC400 I PM'd you man holla back

Also is there a part number for these harnesses ?
What about the securing the unit in how hard is that ?
Old 01-10-04, 01:17 AM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

Hey I went to the web site where emerald is representing, and the site is down. Does anyone know how I can get my hand on the filler piece? Thanks!
Old 02-15-04, 07:03 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Default Re: sc300

Originally posted by no2faber
well i have an sc300 with the regular pioneer radio. the toyota scosche harness worked fine for me on my aftermarket HU. the scosche harness used two of the original 4 harnesses. for my radio i'm pretty sure u need two harnesses for it to work, even if ur not using the factory amp anymore. check the wiring diagrams and you'll see. the nak is different from the pioneer so be careful which one you look at.
could u tell me which 2 harness i will use for my aftermarket radio? im also bought an 87+ toyota harness, but the wires doesnt match up with the factory harness. could u tell me where i could find a wiring diagram for the SC300 with the factory pioneer?

Quick Reply: installing aftermarket cd deck in my car