LC Model (2018-present)

differences between drive modes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 11:17 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default differences between drive modes

Can anyone tell me the subtle changes that go along with the different drive modes? I know things like sports + increases pedal response, adjust the firmness of the suspension, etc., but how much, and what is the difference between that and the sports mode? Again, Eco adjusts for mileage, but does it maintain the adjustments for comfort mode, and just decrease pedal response, or are there other factors. I'm interested in the subtleties associated with all the drive modes.
Old 02-10-18, 02:29 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have any input other than what is in the manual. No specific technical info here, but just in case you haven't read it:

1 Normal mode/Custom mode
Normal mode and custom mode are selected by pressing the driving mode select switch. Each time the switch is pressed, the driving mode changes between normal mode and custom mode. When custom mode is selected, the “Custom” indicator comes on. Press the switch to change the driving mode to normal mode when not in normal mode. • Normal mode Provides an optimal balance of fuel economy, quietness, and dynamic performance. Suitable for city driving.

When the shift position is in D, an appropriate gear for sporty driving may automatically be selected according to driver performance and driving conditions. • Custom mode allows you to drive with the power train, chassis and air conditioning system functions set to your preferred settings. Custom mode settings can only be changed on the drive mode customization display of the Center Display. (→P.237)

2 Comfort mode:
By controlling the suspension, riding comfort is further enhanced. Suitable for city driving. When not in comfort mode and the driving mode select switch is turned forward, the “Comfort” indicator comes on.

3 Eco drive mode
Helps the driver accelerate in an eco-friendly manner and improve fuel economy through moderate throttle characteristics and by controlling the operation of the air conditioning system (heating/cooling). When in comfort mode, if the driving mode select switch is turned forward, the “Eco” indicator comes on.

4 Sport mode
• SPORT S mode Controls the transmission and engine to provide quick, powerful acceleration. This mode is suitable for when agile driving response is desired, such as when driving on roads with many curves. When not in SPORT S mode, if the driving mode select switch is turned backward, the “Sport S” indicator comes on.
• SPORT S+ mode Provides earlier downshift timing than SPORT S mode in order to maintain a high engine speed and provides faster gear changes. This mode also changes the steering feel, suspension control and VDIM control, making it suitable for powerful sporty driving. When in SPORT S mode, if the driving mode select switch is turned backward, the “Sport S+” indicator comes on.
Old 02-11-18, 11:38 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Similar, additional description from the brochure:
DRIVE MODE SELECT

Inspired by the LFA supercar, controls are positioned on the outer instrument panel for seamless operation and our most engaging Drive Mode Select yet.

Sport S mode alters the powertrain for a more dynamic throttle response.

Sport S+ mode modifies the next-generation Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) to help provide a higher level of responsiveness.

Comfort mode adjusts the AVS to reduce the feel of uneven road surfaces and balances throttle response and fuel efficiency.

ECO mode moderates multiple settings for increased fuel efficiency.

And, for the first time, a Custom mode enables you to create a unique profile of a combination of drive mode settings for a more personalized driving experience.
Old 02-13-18, 06:23 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses, BobBass and uchujin. Appreciate it.
Yes, I did see what was written in the manual, but I was hoping that someone in the forum might have additional insights. For example, as I mentioned in my query, does switching to eco from comfort mode maintain the settings for comfort while decreasing throttle response and adjusting the AC et al, or are the comfort mode settings lost. I also read in the manual that spoiler deployment requires a considerably higher speed when eco mode is chosen.
And yes, while I love sport/sport+, I also use comfort and eco. On a long trip, I can turn on comfort or eco, activate dynamic speed control, crank up the Mark Levinson and chill out. In fact, I think the ability to have all these modes is one of the great things about this car.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (03-01-20)
Old 02-14-18, 03:10 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

These are good questions and I'm too new to this forum to know if there''s a "tech guru expert" on the LC 500 who sometimes opines.

I took a test drive in one yesterday and noticed on a downhill that "engine braking" was happening in that the transmission was holding in a lower gear to keep speed down. When it became more level, the transmission shifted to a higher gear. This transmission programming actually drives me nutz. First time I experienced it was in our '97 Subaru Outback. The concept is valid, but I prefer to be in control of the speed of my vehicles on downhills and brake fade in modern vehicles is non-existent.

To be honest, I don't recall what mode it was in and wondered if that would have occurred in "Eco" mode. I thought I was in "Comfort" mode but maybe it was "Sport." I know the BMW X3 in "Eco" mode allows more coasting than in other modes.
Old 02-18-18, 02:14 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

BobBass, put the trans in manual mode and you control the shifting. It's also a lot of fun!
Old 02-18-18, 08:52 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Yes, I am aware of the "manual paddle shifting" mode but not comfortable enough with it to use it on a brand new engine. Just wouldn't feel right about it.
Old 02-27-18, 07:29 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The following users liked this post:
RichKeagy (04-07-18)
Old 02-27-18, 07:46 AM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Rhythmic Shifting ????

Isn't that a Rush song?

For me Sport plus around town

and Normal for Highway.
Old 02-27-18, 12:33 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoppean

Wow! Thanks! Where did you get this?
Old 02-27-18, 02:07 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
Wow! Thanks! Where did you get this?
Found it here, probably from Lexus' press kit:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/12/...-500h-preview/
Old 02-27-18, 03:20 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-18, 03:57 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

I've had mine for five days and played around a bit with the modes. Driving around today I thought I was in COMFORT but noticed it was NORMAL. Thanks for posting that graphic because it really clears up what's going on. Can't wait until I have more miles on it so I can REALLY try out these different modes.