LC Model (2018-present)

Dems da brakes (figuratively and literally)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 03:25 PM
OregonLC50
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dems da brakes (figuratively and literally)

Dear Lexus Guest:

Thank you for your recent purchase of a 2018 Lexus LC500. Your VIN indicates you selected the performance package together with an additional cost color, again thank you.
We are aware that some guests continue to experience squealing bakes, usually heard between 25 and 0 mph. Further, we are aware that these brakes produce a considerable amount of dust when the brake pad engages the rotor.

While the unpleasant brake sound may be annoying to some -- particularly in light of the fact that Lexus engineers worked assiduously to produce just the right sound during vehicle operation, and that the brake dust is unsightly, particularly to those like yourself who purchased the extra cost paint or lighter exterior colors — the installed brakes are High Performance brakes designed to provide the requisite stopping ability for a vehicle of this size, weight, torque and power.

In short:

1. These are the brakes for this vehicle and,
2. We sympathize with your dilemma.

In the event we receive further complaints with respect to these issues we will consider a remedy.

Yours, sincerely,

Your Lexus team
Old 01-27-18, 07:03 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Not that this is much of a "welcome" letter, but it got me thinking... I've never received a welcome letter of any kind from Lexus (or Toyota) after buying any vehicle. I've purchased about 5 Lexus and 5 Toyota vehicles over the past 10 years or so. I never really expected a letter in the past, but I kind-of expected something after purchasing my LC.
Old 01-27-18, 04:06 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It's annoying but it's not that uncommon. M sport and M performance brakes are known to squeak, too.
Old 01-27-18, 05:19 PM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

At about 1500 miles, noticed quite a bit of front left brake noise, grinding, even felt a little like a stuck caliper at slow speeds? Yikes.

Anywho... Others have mentioned brake bedding. Looked into it a bit. My car is almost exclusively highway driven from day one so what could it hurt...

Many methods described online about brake bedding. The least aggressive is basically as follows:

Stay up way past midnight. Find a deer-free stretch of lonely back-road you know well. Warm up the brakes with a few normal to slightly hard 30-5 mph stops. Then do about 8 consecutive 40 to near zero moderately hard stops. Don't stop completely or risk pad to rotor deposit. Brakes get hot and a little faded and smelly by this time. Then do about 3 consecutive 40 to near zero hard stops. Again NO stopping and drive the car at normal speed for about 15-20 minutes or longer to let them cool. Park without parking brake.

Snake oil? Placebo? Not sure but it worked completely for me for now. Not sure if it will last but I'll report back....
Old 01-27-18, 05:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Good Job You are preaching to the choir here. I've recommended this many times, but AFAIK you're the first LC500 owner to complete the task. Again, WELL DONE

Lou
Old 01-31-18, 09:07 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by VicAndRay
At about 1500 miles, noticed quite a bit of front left brake noise, grinding, even felt a little like a stuck caliper at slow speeds? Yikes.

Anywho... Others have mentioned brake bedding. Looked into it a bit. My car is almost exclusively highway driven from day one so what could it hurt...

Many methods described online about brake bedding. The least aggressive is basically as follows:

Stay up way past midnight. Find a deer-free stretch of lonely back-road you know well. Warm up the brakes with a few normal to slightly hard 30-5 mph stops. Then do about 8 consecutive 40 to near zero moderately hard stops. Don't stop completely or risk pad to rotor deposit. Brakes get hot and a little faded and smelly by this time. Then do about 3 consecutive 40 to near zero hard stops. Again NO stopping and drive the car at normal speed for about 15-20 minutes or longer to let them cool. Park without parking brake.

Snake oil? Placebo? Not sure but it worked completely for me for now. Not sure if it will last but I'll report back....
Will bedding the brakes in this method work if the vehicle has been previously used (570 miles) without any prior bedding?
Old 01-31-18, 09:15 AM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Will bedding the brakes in this method work if the vehicle has been previously used (570 miles) without any prior bedding?
Mine had 1500 miles on it when I did this. So give it a shot.

It's not a very aggressive procedure and it's fun too.

I suspect there will be a hurried TSB out sooner rather than later... Toyota always worried about more bad press and class action (groan)...

Also will be interesting to see if the issue repeats in the new LS.
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 11:26 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I have it on good authority TSB is forthcoming (As Lexus has done for IS and GS in the past).
Old 02-01-18, 07:44 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 02-01-18, 11:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I owned a AMG63 CLS with performance package, which gives you the super duper brakes. I get close to 60k miles out of a set of LX brakes. Got 9k miles out of the AMG brakes.
Old 02-20-18, 05:25 PM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonLC50
Dear Lexus Guest:

Thank you for your recent purchase of a 2018 Lexus LC500. Your VIN indicates you selected the performance package together with an additional cost color, again thank you.
We are aware that some guests continue to experience squealing bakes, usually heard between 25 and 0 mph. Further, we are aware that these brakes produce a considerable amount of dust when the brake pad engages the rotor.

While the unpleasant brake sound may be annoying to some -- particularly in light of the fact that Lexus engineers worked assiduously to produce just the right sound during vehicle operation, and that the brake dust is unsightly, particularly to those like yourself who purchased the extra cost paint or lighter exterior colors — the installed brakes are High Performance brakes designed to provide the requisite stopping ability for a vehicle of this size, weight, torque and power.

In short:

1. These are the brakes for this vehicle and,
2. We sympathize with your dilemma.

In the event we receive further complaints with respect to these issues we will consider a remedy.

Yours, sincerely,

Your Lexus team
Very interesting for a car dealer sending a statement like this. Is it really bad and no solution yet from Lexus (Brembo), or aftermarket (may be too early to consider?)
Old 04-03-18, 11:32 AM
hulksmash
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Boxster S and just traded my GTR in on the LC 500, those big performance brakes make noise, you can avoid it by having a heavy foot on the brake and stopping faster or be very very light on the break and give your self a long stretch to stop - seems like in between you get squeakage.
Old 04-06-19, 06:42 PM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@VicAndRay did the squeaking ever come back?
Old 04-07-19, 10:48 AM
VicAndRay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IowaLC
@VicAndRay did the squeaking ever come back?
Thankfully no. Brakes have been solid, quiet and stopping well. at 13K miles now.

Other than a LOT of brake dust which transfers to my concrete driveway every time I wash it.. that's my biggest first world problem...
The following users liked this post:
IowaLC (04-07-19)
Old 04-07-19, 12:39 PM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VicAndRay
Thankfully no. Brakes have been solid, quiet and stopping well. at 13K miles now.

Other than a LOT of brake dust which transfers to my concrete driveway every time I wash it.. that's my biggest first world problem...
Good to hear. I was having a bunch of brake squeal but just found a rock between the shield and rotor on the passenger side front. Going to go ahead and bed the brakes now anyway, just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Dems da brakes (figuratively and literally)