LC Model (2018-present)

How many going for the hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 01:35 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How many going for the hybrid

If I could afford the LC, I would go for the traditional powerplant. And it's gotten great reviews. But Christian from the HP said the hybrid just didn't give him the same thrills... So is anyone specifically looking for the hybrid?
Old 09-29-17, 01:46 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If it was a good plug-in, I might have picked that one over the V8. But between the choices offered, the traditional way was the way to go for me.

EDIT:
Just saw this, oh well. But a hydrogen LC sounds even better:
New fuel-cell and full-EV strategy will see Lexus skip plug-in hybrids to cut CO2, says boss

Lexus will move straight from hybrids to fuel-cell cars and full EVs over the next few years, according to Europe boss Alain Uyttenhoven.

The strategy will see Lexus first launch a hydrogen-powered luxury
saloon based on the LF-FC concept in 2020, before moving towards smaller electric cars and SUVs (as previewed by the LF-SA concept) later down the line.

Uyttenhoven told Auto Express at the Frankfurt Motor Show: “We do not need to have plug-in hybrid vehicles. It’s a loophole in the market. We will reach the [CO2] targets without them.”

As legislation becomes more stringent, Lexus would need to progress beyond its range of hybrids, Uyttenhoven admitted. “Soon we will have to reach 75g/km,” he told us. “At that time pure hybrids will not be sufficient. The two things we can do are introduce plug-inor introduce electric.”

First the Japanese brand will invest in high-end luxury vehicles like hydrogen or electric versions of the LS saloon and LC coupe, as the cost of installing the tech on smaller models is currently too prohibitive.

Uyttenhoven insisted that for Lexus to really make money using electrified powertrains, the technology would need to filter down to mainstream models like the CT hatchback and NX mid-sized SUV in the future. “In Europe, the more successful electric car sales are at the high end,” Uyttenhoven told us. “But in the premium market, 50 per cent of cars are sold below 40,000 Euros. If it’s more than that, how will people afford it?”

When asked whether Lexus’s first pure-electric venture could be a small, premium EV, Uyttenhoven explained: “It could be. A lot of people who have reached a certain level of wealth like to have a small premium car more than a bigger, more mainstream brand of car.”

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/9...s-and-full-evs

Last edited by Hoppean; 09-30-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 03:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
If it was a good plug-in, I might have picked that one over the V8. But between the choices offered, the traditional way was the way to go for me.

EDIT:
Just saw this, oh well. But a hydrogen LC sounds even better:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/9...s-and-full-evs
A hydrogen version does sound pretty cool... Super future!
Old 10-02-17, 06:32 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe only 15 were sold in the US in August 2017

The September 2017 data should be available tomorrow
Old 10-03-17, 06:19 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

~300 LC's sold in US in Aug and Sep, so that means hybrids are about 5% of sales. LC sales down 25% below expectations. I see the LC's are piling up at my dealer (13 V-8's, 2 hybrids across two locations), so maybe we'll see discounts sooner rather than later. I get a call almost weekly from my sales guy now asking me to come in and drive one again :-)
Old 10-08-17, 05:06 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
I see the LC's are piling up at my dealer (13 V-8's, 2 hybrids across two locations), so maybe we'll see discounts sooner rather than later. I get a call almost weekly from my sales guy now asking me to come in and drive one again :-)
But the big question is, whats he offering
Old 10-08-17, 01:13 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

At least one local dealer here in the Northeast has their entire LC inventory (3) priced at invoice. As far as I can tell, the other local dealers haven't moved any of their LC inventory since I purchased mine in August. None of the local LC models have the Performance Pkg, which may or may not be a factor(?). I still love mine and have no regrets, but with the cold weather approaching fast, it will be interesting to see if Mother Lexus starts providing additional financial incentives. Here's the link to the dealer site showing $6K+ discounts:
https://www.iracars.com/search/New+Lexus+LC+tmM
Old 10-09-17, 06:49 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

German car magazine „Grip“ did a little review of the LC on TV last night, so I thought I’d share a little TL;DW:
He loves the overall design but dislikes the driving mode *****. Calls the V8 the hybrid’s „big brother“, says it compares like a „rabbit to a turtle“, would certainly pick the former over the latter.

Hybrid:
+red and black design
+quietness
-CVT gearbox, describes it as unreactive and not very sporty, doesn’t like the delay between revs and shifts
-worse gas mileage than advertised

V8:
+sound
+overall driving experience
+ride comfort
-tan interior

I expected them to be harsher on the LC since German auto journalists have a tendency to bash Asian cars by default (hint: €€€). Link if you want to watch it:
http://www.rtl2.de/sendung/grip-das-...00h-folge-417/